This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

May 20, 2012

A Proposition

< Previous    

Rhûn Darkmoon and Lihan Taifun

Aztryd pulls gently on the rope in the well, cautious of a worn spot where the rope catches on the pulley.  The rope is old, due for replacement really, and a sudden jerk might cause it to break.  But Aztryd has only one more bucket to fill after this one, and that will end her interest in the state of this well.  There, the bucket is past the worn spot, and she lifts it off the rusty hook, and sets it down on the gravelly courtyard.


As he has walked with Fafnir"s hand in his, feeling his presence at his side, Nasi has never felt so separate yet so connected to his Clan.  He and Fafnir are different, he knew that, yet they are still a part of this tiny remnant of their community.  His old attitude of "none of my business" seems to have been burned from him when he faced the dragon, as surely as the skin on the back of his hands.  It is as though in saving the people of Gamilfun, he has truly claimed them somehow as his.  As they have made their way down from the mountains he has watched them all thoughtfully.  How will they fare in the elven land?  What does the future hold for them?  Each brings their own skills or he suspected, a little personal wealth.  But there is one that concerns him, for she has come to them already in deep trouble and dire need.

Now as he turns from the cart, where he has been checking the seals on his crate after the day"s journey, ensuring none of the fastenings have worked their way loose with all the bumping and jolting, he looks up to see that one at the well, drawing water.   He hesitates a moment, but his mind is made up, so diffidently he makes his way over to her.  What he is about to do is very foreign to him, but his need is as great as her own.  He coughs to clear his throat and tries to lean casually against the well. "The end of another long day, Little Mother."


Aztryd looks up.  It is Nasi, the quiet stonemason.  She smiles to herself a moment, thinking how this one has been riveted to Fafnir these past few days.  Well, and why not?  Let them find what comfort they could, in these cold times.  "Yes, one more day behind us," is what she says aloud.  "We must be getting near the town.  This road seemed shorter when I traveled it, years and years ago.  Though I was riding in my grandfather"s cart then."


Nasi looks down at Aztryd thoughtfully as he listens to her reply. This journey must indeed be very different from any she has made before. He takes in the engraved silver band that holds her shining red hair in place and the many delicately fashioned silver earrings the decorate each ear. Yes, this one is not used to the hardships they now all shared. He nods gently as she finishes speaking,. "Aye, times must be very different for you now, in so many ways." He looks toward the Way station, overgrown by vines and in dire need of new thatch. Not at all the type of abode this one would be used to. "It must be hard for you, alone with your little one."


Aztryd looks down, abashed, and heat colors her cheeks.  Too true, what he says.  But neither does she ask for or expect pity.  Not from any dwarf, and certainly not from these who have their own problems.  "Times are different for us all," she says quietly, her eyes still cast down.  "At least Nizl and I are in sound body, which is more than some can say.  And all of us are alive."  She leaves that thought unfinished:  Unlike Gammy, unlike so many ...

Nasi frowns a little as he sees her response. Her words are valiant enough, but Nasi has sat on the edges of society for too long watching the others rather than joining in, to miss the way she drops her head and the flush in her cheeks.  He knows what it means and moves without thinking to ease her distress, lifting a hand to briefly touch one of the springing red curls that have escaped the confines of her bun. "You are a fine figure of a dwarf, Aztryd. It is beyond me how any man, let along an Elder, could treat you as your husband did." He pauses and lets his hand drop, but his voice is low and gentle as he continues. "Nor is it right that one such as you should be left to struggle because of the tragedy that has befallen the dwarves of Gamilfun."


Aztryd colors deeper at the unexpected kindness in his voice.  Such soft words might completely unravel her composure and leave her making a great fool of herself.  Struggling to keep her voice calm, she says, "The kin I expected to find in Gamilfun ... weren't there when I arrived." Dead, from the first attack, but no need to say that. "'Right' or not, everyone is struggling now.  We all do the best we can.  We all will manage.  What more can anyone do?"


Nasi shakes his head sorrowfully as he listens. "You are alone. So very alone and so much of our lives, all our lives, have been turned upside down.  The old ways seem to have been destroyed as surely by the dragon as the stones of our home.  But, but not all of us are as struggling as others. I.. I have some means.  I.. I think I can help."


Nasi ducks his head bashfully, unable to look her in the eye as he voices his proposition. "I.. I have needs.  With Fafnir so badly injured, and my own hands still mostly useless.." he holds them out before him and shakes his head. "I have needs, daily needs.  Perhaps you would be willing to attend to those needs for me.  I can pay you.  Pay you more than fairly.  I know that it would gall your pride to ever accept charity or to beg, but you need money and I.." Again he reaches out to touch one of the soft curling tendrils of her hair before again dropping his hand to his side. "I would not see you forced to sell your few remaining pretties for they look so fair upon you.  Nor would they bring enough to replace those pretty shoes that were never meant to do more than look beautiful.  You have Nizl to think about.  I know you are friends with this elf King who has offered us a home so later, you might be able to manage, but for now, and while we are at Gray Havens and Fafnir is so hurt.." He pauses again and looks up at her at last. "You are experienced, as.. as a wife... you might be able to help me with my needs, if you are willing."


Nasi again lifts his hands and stares at them, irked beyond thought at how helpless he feels because of their injury.  He sighs and lets them drop, "I would not shame you, but.. but you have the skills I need.  I cannot wash anything.  Not my clothes, nor Fafnir's nor his dressing, nor my own.  My hands burn and sting if I try to put them in water and soap? Gods, soap bites worse than Eilif's tongue when she found me trying it.  If they are to heal, and I am to be able to use them again for my work, I must keep them dry, she says."  He pauses and looks up at her in appeal. "I can pay you, and it will help you and the little one, and by the Maker's Eyes, it would help me no end.  Could you wash for me?  Could you do such a simple thing that is now beyond me?"

Aztryd's eyes darken, and her face reddens with anger now instead of embarrassment, as she listens to Nasi's "proposition".  Buy himself a wife, indeed!  Even worse, buy the "services of a wife," without giving her the honor of the position?  Only among the basest of humans are such things done.  Her hands stray toward the little woodcutting axe at her hip, even as indignant protests fill her lungs, crowding to escape and batter this impertinent fool of a man.


And then, all her unspoken protests are turned on their heads, and wander lost.  "Washing?" she says blankly, dropping her hands.  "You want me to do your washing?  With all the washing I do now, of Nizl's things, surely adding yours would be a small thing."


Nasi coughs to cover his relief that she did not laugh at him outright.  To admit such a helplessness is a great shame to him, but in their current straightened circumstances he has no other option.  Nor, he suspects, does she have any choice in accepting. "It will not just be mine, but Fafnir's as well.  I .. I have taken responsibility for his care, not that I am able to do much personally for him at the moment, but.. but it will be his, as well as mine, if you are agreeable.  In return, I will cover the costs of yourself and Nizl until we reach this elven King's land across the ocean.  Whatever you need, in food or clothing or accommodation I shall pay for."  He pauses and smiles gently at her, and his words are chosen carefully to help her accept his aid. "You are small enough, as is Nizl. You will not cost me much, but your help will mean a lot to me."


Aztryd's eyes widen in amazement.  "Pay for all our ...?"  This is a vastly generous offer, in return for something quite simple.  Such an arrangement would take a great load of worry from her mind; whether or not Nasi feels her expenses are large, they will exceed her own resources.  She peers at his face and sees no trace of mockery, nor of impropriety, now. Trying to collect her scattered thoughts, trying to sound like a shrewd bargainer and  not a gaping child, she replies, "Your washing and Fafnir's -- that would be no trouble at all.  And if Eilif says you mustn't put your hands in soap, then you should heed her.  Yes, I could do that."


Nasi's dark eyes take in the mixed reactions that flit across Aztryd's face. He can see that accepting is as hard for her as asking is for him. Theirs is a prideful race he knows, and that pride runs deep in both of them. He nods briefly and keeps his tone brisk so he does not shame her with his sympathy for her poverty. "Then we are in agreement, and the agreement suits me well." He pauses and looks toward the road that lies ahead of them, the road that seems unending in the monotonous passing of days. "The path we walk is not what any of us expected, and it sits ill with us, but walk it we must in the best way we can." He muses aloud before turning back to her. "Come, let me help you get this bucket inside, or my Fafnir will be raising a search party." He pauses after lifting the bucket and looks into her emerald green eyes. "Aztryd, no one need know of our arrangement. I mean, Fafnir will, of course, as I hold no secrets from him, but no one else need know."  He gazes into her eyes a moment longer to make sure she understands his intent, then hefts the bucket and steps out toward the way station.



> Next