This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

March 10, 2010

Evil stirs in Nurutumbo; does Morgoth return?

Varanwe Firehawk


Lord Varanwë enters the plaza of Sylvhara to join Lady Nexus, who is about to show a new arrival to Sylvhara the splendor of the realm.  Before he can say even a word to her, a great voice is heard behind him, coming from the harbor.

"Greetings to all of the Realm of Sylvhara.  I would speak with someone immediately, for I have grave news."

Varanwë turns about to see Rik, the High Tyr of Uhre, swimming in the harbor.  He approaches the great dragon in respect, bowing.

"Vedui', belegaer. (Greetings, mighty one).  Be welcomed again in these lands.  But on what matter do you speak?"

The dragon raises his head and looks keenly at Varanwë.  "I am certain your queen is detained, thus I ask you, friend, to relay this message to her.

"Know then, that the dragon lands of Uhre have been attacked by orcs.  They came from the black land of Nurutumbo.  The land seems to awaken in darkness, as much activity is noted thence from our scouts.  The tower is rebuilt.  And balrogs have also been seen."

Varanwë looks stunned, as if hit from behind by a hammer.  Not a week previous, he had a terrible vision.  The ancient foe, the Vala Melkor, whom the Elves have ever called Morgoth, stood in Sylvamir Plaza, a small army of balrogs with him.  As the memory of this vision returns to flood his mind, he is shaken noticeably and seats himself on the shore, while continuing to speak to Rik.

"Then it is true.....Morgoth returns?" he says.

The Tyr looks quizzically at him.  "Morgoth?"

Varanwë looks up at the dragon, nodding gravely.   "In all the legends of Lothlorien told to me when I was a child there, it is written that the Valar, the Holy Ones of Iluvatar, The One, made war upon the treacherous Melkor, the mightiest of the Valar, and a rebellious, who desired all things to himself in the spite of all others.  He was banished from the circles of the world, not destroyed.  It has ever been feared that he might find the way through the Door of Dawn back to the world, and trap and destroy the sun and moon, plunging all the world into darkness.  He created the Orcs and Balrogs, with which he wielded a reign of terror across the Great Lands.  If what you say is true, especially of the tower, Morgoth has returned, or will so soon, and all are in grave danger."

The Tyr nods in agreement. "Which is why I have come to warn Sylvhara that all must be on their guard, for it is thought that such as these may turn their eyes hence.  You must inform your Queen at once.  Safe paths to you, elf.  I must continue on."

Rik rises out of the harbor and flies off hurriedly.

Varanwë rises and dusts himself off telling himself to be strong, as should the heir to the throne of his ancestor, Gil-galad.  He speedily reaches for a scroll and quill from his cloak and scratches out a message to Queen Comet, summing his conversation with Lord Rik.  At that moment, Lady Nexus approaches, her guest in tow.  She sees the look on Varanwë's face.

"What is wrong, my love?" she asks.

Varanwë rises and speaks, "Mela, I once told you of visions, did I not?"

Nexus nods.  Varanwë continues..."I have had one of the ancient foe here in Sylvhara.  From what the High Tyr says, it may come true.  Orcs have left Nurutumbo and attacked Uhre.  The black land awakens.......balrogs have been seen, and not only in Nurutumbo and Uhre...." he points his head sideways in the direction of Aryador.  "Could Morgoth be far behind?"

Nexus looks upon him with concern, seeking to allay his worries.  "Oh my dearest Varanwë, these are most foul tidings.  But I should fear not, as I have you at my side."

Varanwë's expression becomes even further pallid...."There is something else I have not told you.....something of a vision of mine own endangerment.   A dark presence comes from distant lands, blotting out the sun, and reaching for my throat.  I see no detail, for from this darkness, no light escapes to betray its owner.  But know that at its core, is the very embodiment of hatred and anger.  I fear for mine own life again, my love, but it is not anyone of Aryador this time who seeks me, and I will be taken far from you."

At this, Nexus becomes troubled.  "I shall not let anyone take you from me.  Can this not be prevented?"

Varanwë looks gravely at her and says in reply, "If it be the will of Iluvatar, and for unknown reasons, there is nought that may be done, for we might attempt escape, only to be found elsewhere and me taken anyway."

Nexus appears noticeably terrified, tears appearing in her eyes.  She offers a prayer to her god, Anubis, for protection upon Varanwë.  When she finishes, she continues..."Have you understanding of when this might occur?"

"I know not, but I fear it is soon, within days, perhaps."

"Then come, my love.   I wish your presence so long as I have you here, and mayhap you will not be taken, but yet shall remain with me, mela en coiamin."

As the two move off, Varanwë summons a dove for to carry his scroll to Queen Comet, hoping that she receives it quickly.

> Next Sylvhara