This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

May 26, 2010

Nolë's Commission and an Unexpected Visit

by AelKennyr Rhiano

Olwe looked out over the docks of his beloved Alqualonde. The water laps at the wood of the dock, making a calming, slapping noise, one he has heard many times over his long life.  His eyes lift to take in the sea beyond, the twillight stars' reflection. Softly behind him, he hears the gentle padding of footsteps, and out of the corner of his eye, he sees the Wisest of all sailors, Lord Nole, smiling gently and looking more rested.

Curteously the seaman and merchant greeted the Teleri king, who gently asked questions about his family.  With a wistful tone, Nole spoke of his young daughter, who was beginning to cast her youthful eyes upon young male elves for the first time in her young life.  With great passion, he spoke of the songs that would rise up in the evening, lilting and intoxicating in their harmonies.  Now Alqulaonde was still and silent, save for the calls of birds or the rustle of the wind.

Olwe turned the conversation to the practical.  What did Nole see of the tradiing outposts?  What did he find on his last voyage as he visited places which had engaged in trade with the haven of the swans for, lo, these many passing of years?  Ossi silently slipped in behind his king. 

Nole said,  "During my previous voyage to the outpost, I had heard tales, of whispers of the gradual withdrawl of our kin from other outposts along the shores of the Mortal world."  Olwe's hand tightened upon the rail, and he leans a little, brow furrowed.
"My King, it may be that the diapearance of our kin from this outpost is not an isolated occurance."  Ossi frowned, looking at his king with worry.  Olwe nodded. "I cannot but agree. But the reason and the timing....I cannot understand the why of it."

"Nor I, my King. we must find out, to learn the way of it."  Ossi nodded, silently and unobtrusively.  Olwe spoke.  "The disappearance....was it as though, one voyage there to that place, they were present, and the next gone?  Was there, perhaps a gradual decrease in the population?"

"My King, the outposts have suffered a gradual decline over the many long years I visited them, but they were still thriving. There was plenty of vigour and song within. But this voyage, they simply dissapeared, without warning. There was no whisper of simply abandoning the outposts. Perhaps the answer lay within the outposts, or in the lands nearby?"

Ossi heard the the sound of hoofs on the marble floor and turns around, spotting a centaur. He turned to face him as well, noting the bow on his back.  Olwe drew in a deep breath and nodded slowly, his shoulders slumping a little.  The sounds of hooves caused him to whirl, and his eyes widened as he beheld a being not known in the Undying Lands.  The centaur took a tentative step back.  Nole, too, looked upon a being he had never seen before.  Ossi frowned at the strange beast, and drew his sword, approaching slowly.  Olwe looked at the being, his gaze thoughtful and curious.  He laid a hand upon Ossi's arm.  The Centaur's eyes darted across the grouping, assaying the members.  Ossi stopped, feeling the pressure of his king's arm. 

"I am Olwe.  You are in Alqualonde."  He paused, taking in the form.  "Come you in peace?"  Ossi's grip on his sword tigthened, waiting for the answer.  Nole, too, stood ready, in anticipation of the answer.  The centaur looked at the surroundings, cautious to answer. Ossi spoke up, his voice deep and gravelly "... Answer! For your life may lay at my hands if you do not!"  The visitor slowly nodded. 

Olwe spread his arms wide, palms up and open, in a gesture of peace.  "How are you known," he asked.  Ossi frowned, squinted at the strange beast, with the torso of a man.  Seeing his king advance, he sheathed his sword, hand never leaving the pummel.

"I am looking for someone, " spoke the Centaur, "but I believe I have gone astray.  I am not certain.  I was told I would know when the time was right.  He took in the regalness of the elves' outfits.  Olwe smiles a little, gently.  He nodded, and his eyes lit with a childlike curiosity.  "Come you fraom afar to this island?" he asked.  When the centaru did not answer, Olwe dropped back and whispered to Nole, "Have you met such a wonderous being ere now, friend?"

The Centaur squinted to better look at the elves' features.  ssi didnt share his king's curiosity and light hearted welcome. He glared at the centaur, daring him to try something, his grip on the top of his pummel tightening, the leather of his gloves creaking.  Nole answered the king.  "I personally have not, my King, but I have heard tales from our kin at the outposts, the description of which matches this being before us."  Olwe nodded slightly at Nole's answer.

Olwe turned his gaze back to the half man, half horse being.  "Forgive my frank stare.  I have never seen your kind in all my long life.  "I am Olwe.  You are...?

"Greetings, Olwe.  I am Leigh, " answered the Centaur.

"Hail and well met, Leigh.  I am Teleri, elf."

"I am on a quest of which making I have no scope." Olwe took a slow step foward.  "As am I."  Leigh bowed graciously.  Olwe smiled and inclined his head.  "And are you the king?" asked Leigh.  Olwe nodded.  "Your people, " asked the Teleri King.  "By what name are they known?"  Nole relaxed a little.  "Kentavos, " answered Leigh. "I left them a long time ago, and have travelled many lands in search, but alas I have made little ground." 

Olwe looked at each of the elves with him, a little lost expression of his face.  He mouthed the word "Kentavos?"  Nole nodded.  "Kentavos."  Ossi shrugged, helplessly.  Olwe looked back at Leigh. "You must be tired, friend Kentavos, called Leigh."  He paused, asked. "Why did you part from your people?"

Leigh regarded the elf to the king's right.  Ossi stared back, his gaze steely.  Olwe followed Leigh's gaze.  "This is Ossi."  Leigh turned his attention to the elf on the king's left.  "And this is Lord Nole."  Nole nodded.  Ossi straightened up his shoulder, nodding his head infinitesimally.  "You must be in need of rest and nourishment."

"I would be in your debt," answered Leigh.

Olwe turned to Nole.  "Does his people live far from here, friend Nole? " he whispers. "Are they servants of Light or ...."  his voice trailed off.  "I feel no mal intent in him."

"Light?" asked Leigh.  He looked at the brightening sky, confused.  Olwe blushed, looking up, and then, with a greater flush, at Leigh's ears.  Shyly, he said, "I forget we are not the only ones with sharp ears."  Ossi chuckled lightly.  Nole spoke.  "They live far from here my King, As I understand, they serve the natural world, relishing the natural beauty within. I do not think we have to fear him."

Olwe smiled and nodded "There is a balance int he world of good and evil, right and wrong.  Light and darkness.  We of the Eldar clans call ourselves the Children of Illuvatar."

"I am in search of a mountain with a fire in its belly," said Leigh. Olwe grew still and thoughtful.  "A fire in its belly?"  Nole looked up.  "I have heard of such a place, far from Alqualonde." Olwe turned at Nole's words.

"There I am to understand i will find whom I search.  He will make himself known."

"There was at one time a mountain of fury, of choking smoke and ash."  At first, Olwe grasped not to where Nole referred. "And know you how to help friend Leigh find this place?  Is it far?" 

Nole answered. "The mountain lay in a black land, of smoking pits and death. Alone standing in a plain, far from the sea. But that land has been freed now, and it is now safe to travel there.  I speak of the Orodruin, far to the southeast, in the plains of the land once known as Mordor."

"Mordor?" asked Leigh.  Olwe whirled around at the name.  "Blessed Illuvatar!  No!"  Leigh mouthed the word as if it were familiar.  Olwe backed up a step.  "You...you cannot mean there."  "Mordor." whispered Leigh.  He blinked, as if coming out of a trance.

Nole spoke.  "My king, the land once known as Mordor has been purified by the forces of light. And there are those faithful to the Eldar that safeguard it, as so the tales say."

"There is naught in Mordor that is good.  Nothing that can be good." answered Olwe.

Leigh said, "You called this place the Orodruin?"  Olwe shuddered violently, He swayed and murmured, "The dreams."  Ossi reached out, for his king, seeing him sway. He offered his physical support.  Olwe turned to his guard.  "Ossi, what if,  what if... do we KNOW it is still under safeguard?"  Ossi answered, "I do not know, my king."

Asked, Leigh, "Does anyone live there?"   Nole nodded to Leigh. "I do not know if this is the mountain you seek, but within is a great flame. Mordor has been purified and is slowly being settled by the Edain of Gondor. It is even said that the plains of Nurn about the Sea of Nurnen bloom again this day."

Leigh turned to Olwe.  "What is the matter?"  Nole feared he may have said too much. "But much has changed Leigh, for my last voyage has shown the times are changing."

Olwe spoke slowly.  "I do not think you will find the Edain of Gondor, my friend.  I do not think you will find blooms upon the plains of Nurn."

"Has there been bad rains?" the Centaur asked.

 "Darkness comes.... It is here...reaching with a greedy hand.  If, if...." his voice trailed off.  "We would not know.  We were once part of the undying lands, but a sennight ago...we were brought to the mortal world to unite the elven clans and find our lost kin and to face the darkness."

Nole entered a state of thought. "You speak of fire..."

"I remember a dark place where no foliage grew. there were bad rains that caused it."  Nole nodded thoughtfully.  Leigh continued. "And small nasty creatures."  He turned to Olwe. "Have you done this?  United your clans?"

Olwe answered carefully. "I cannot know if I may answer such a question to one who may be seeking Mordor." 

" If this Mordor is the place I am seeking, then this is the place I must go.  The bad rains are becoming more common.  They are destroying more lands."

"I fear, Leigh, that what you seek, may lead you into darknes, should you go to Mordor."  Olwe nodded...standing straighter.  "Indeed."

"I am not afraid of the darkness."  Olwe studied the Kentavos before him.  His voice was calm and level. "You may find worse things than death there."

"I am not afraid of darkness.  Darkness comes in the form of small green creatures who nip at your feet and run to hide when you bear down upon them."

Olwe turned to Nole.  "Know you of Lannell?  Have you been there?"  Nole turned to the king.  "Lannell, my king?  I have heard of Lannell."

"I would, Lord Nole, ask you to go there as my voice.  Let us arrange to meet further with our elven kin there, and if friend Leigh wishes, he may accompany you.  You may take him as far as you may to Mordor as your journey would permit."  Nole bowed before King Olwe.  "I will do as you bid mi'lord, but I was unaware we had kin there."  Nole nodded to Leigh.  "I can take you with me for a time, Leigh."

Olwe anwered Nole. "They are of our kin, but I know not their heritage, nor do they." Nole smiled. "So there are more of our kin, I would be delited to speak for you, my King."  Olwe asked, "How soon are you able to set sail?"  Nole smiled.  "My king, it brings joy to my heart that there are still elves. I wish to leave as soon as I am able."

  "I will have letters of induction ready in the morn, my friend Nole."  He turned to Leigh.  "Would this aid you, friend Leigh?"

Leigh spoke breathlessly. "Have you a grove that is quiet?"  Olwe smiled. "We do, and Ossi will guide you there.  The Waterfalls where the wooded area is."  Ossi nodded, hand to his collar. "As you direct, fair King."  He motioned with an expansive wave of his arm at Leigh.  "If you will follow me. "  "As you lead, so shall I follow, Ossi." 

Olwe and Nole watched the two head off into the wooded grove. "Now I must take my rest, and prepare letters of introduction and proposal that we meet and discover our common purposes, ourselves and the elves of Lannell.  You will have all this at your disposal ere you are ready to set sail."

Nole bowed.  "My king."

Olwe looked after the centaur's dwindling form, then turned and headed back to his palace.  Nole watched the king for a few moments and turned to his beloved ship, to ready it to sail once more, this time to Lannell and to an unknown clan of elves.

> Next Alqualondë