This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

May 19, 2010

A Teleri Returns Home

< Prev  Alqualondë    
by AelKennyr Rhiano

Upon the palace balcony, Olwe, Lord of Alqualonde, looks out at the setting sun.  Arien has once more finished her journey across the skies.  Birdsong replaces the voices of the Teleri, and his hands grab the railing hard.  His back bowed a little, and a sigh escapes his lips.  He lifts his eyes once more and in the distance spies a blur...a boat?  Olwe strains his eyes, his whole body tense and alert, heart pounding...watching, his breath short and catching as it comes ever nearer.  "Blessed Illuvatar, " he whispers, "It's ...it's...." he leans harder against the railing.  "Teleri.. a swanship, please, Illuvatar, a swanship." Caution, though, keeps him armed, his two handed sword at his back, but he cannot but quicken his steps to hurry from the palace to the docks, which are evidently the destination of this lone ship.

Meanwhile, the sailor disembarks his swanship wideeyed, the feeling of emptiness filling his heart. Anxiously looking around the empty city. There was none to greet him there was no sign or song from his beloved kin.  Olwe pauses at the stairs leading down to the ground and sees the sail...a Teleri swanboat....a lump forms in his throat.  Nole, Master Merchant, wise in the waves of the seas, speaking aloud "My kin, my friend, where is your song, yyour companionship, I am in fear."  He  looks around fearfully, looking for a familiar sign. Olwe coming to the steps leading to the dock, stops and stares.  It is a Teleri Merchant, a Teleri...home....home!

"I am fearful my eyes deceive me," says Olwe.

Nole looks up. "My king!"

"Can this be?" asks Olwe

Nole becomes defensive, fearful his eye trick him.  Olwe swallows hard, his eyes moist and his voice shaking.  "Welcome home, my lord."

"Can this be, you are my lord?"

" I am, noble sailor and welcomed kin," says Olwe.  Nole strides forward to take the hand of his lord as if needing reassurance. 
Olwe grabs the hand offered and squeezes... "Alas, you are home."

Nole smiles brightly "Thank you Illuvatar! I apologise, my lord, for doubting your warm hand of friendship."

"My eyes weep to behold the fair face of another of our people.  Please, please, tell me how you came back to our beloved Alqualonde. And do not apologize. I, too, could scarce credit that the ship was Telerin."

 "I sail the seas of the Bay of Eldamar deliving my wares of fine pearlescent jewelry to the outposts of our kin."

Olwe leans forward at the news, his eyes searching the other's face.  "Did you find any of our kin?"  Ossi steps up behind his Majesty, King Olwe, silently.

"Upon reaching my destination, my King, I found that our kin have all but disappeared! I know not why or how."

Olwe draws a sharp breath and lowers his head a moment.  "Alas, I had hoped...hoped they would be there,'

"There was no fair vioces of our kin intermingled with the waves. the stone of the harbour was silent."

"That Eldamaar is bereft of our kind...that strikes hard."

"There was no song, it was empty!" Olwe closes his eyes, and a look of pain crosses his face. Olwe: looks up..."Thank the Valar you are returned to us."

Olwe gently searches the younger elf's face.  "When you left Alqualonde, did you leave kin, loved ones behind?" His tone is soft and gentle, his hand squeezing the other Teleri's gently, as though to comfort. Nole looks around. "My lord, what of fair Alqualonde? Why do I not hear any song?"

Olwe notices Ossi's presence behind him and spares him a nod before answering.  "Our people...are gone." Ossi nods to his king, hands clasped behind his back as he stands guard, remaining ever silent.

"My lord Ossi, I have a beloved family in Alqualonde, what happened to our kind?"

Olwe speaks "When I returned from a trip to the sylvan realm, I found Alqualonde silent and empty.  Ossi himself remember naught of what has happened. He awoke from a deep sleep to find two strangers, who we later learned were from Queen Comet herself, and my great granddaughter, but no others here."

Ossi looks with a confused frown at the sailor who speaks to him by name. He looks at his king and raises an eyebrow, remaining silent until his name comes from his lords lips. He says simply "I was the first. The first alive to return. This is all I know."

Olwe speaks gently. "You forget you are well known, silent one."  Olwe frowns.  That is what Fi told me....was she ....creating a ..."story?" Ossi bows his head and says quietly to his liege "... I am not used to being spoken to my Lord. I am but your very shadow."

Olwe shook his head. "Nay, friend, more than my shadow, my right sword arm."

Nole speaks, "My lord, there are no Teleri at the outposts and only us few now. Are you saying nearly all of us have vanished?"

Olwe bows his head and nods.  Ossi looks at the sailor and says, his voice rough "I awake in the woods, alone. Upon exploring, I found no spirit alive in this place. But soon the lady Fi arrived... as did two strangers, as the Lord himself has said"

 "My lord, I begin to fear for our people, for fair Alqualonde."

 Ossi grins to himself. His smile seeming menacing, itself. "A sword arm is intmidating, and a shadow is overlooked. As it may be, my Lord. I am not one people speak to, save to ask to see you when I am posted at the entrance to your chambers."

Olwe looks at the craft adn then at the merchant. "Forgive me, please tell me your name.  I know I have seen you and manys a time my sweet daughter wore your lovely wares.

" My king, I am Nólë Eämbar, teleri sea merchant. It fills my heart with joy that your daughter wears my jewelry, but I now fear for her safety."

" She is safely in Tirion upon Tuna with her husband and my grandchildren."   Nole relaxes a little, but still appears fearful.

"Only my great granddaughter came with into the mortal wor...."  Olwe looks about.  "How...how did you find us?"  Olwe looks at Ossi.  "Lord Osse moved us here to this spot in the mortal world.  How, how did you find us?" Olwe turns, wide eyed to Nole.

"My king, I am a wise sailor, I know the pats of the stars crafted by varda, and the paths of the wandering lights. By my skill I can find the sea paths to the mortal world."

But the King of the Teleri knew by whose hand the noble merchant made his way to their new place in this mortal world. Turning to the sea, Olwe kneels and bows his head.  "Thanks be to the Valar who guided you safely home and to Illuvatar who loves his children."

"My king I am honoured, perhaps my skill will assist us in our search for our missing kindred?"

 "Yes, yes you are most needed.  Surely it was Lord Ulmo and Lord Osse themselves who saw that you found the path to our home, no longer in the Shining Lands but within the world itself.  My lord Nole, I am in sore need of your wisdom, for this world is strange and new to me.  And darkness again rises. I wish with all my heart your loved ones stood where I stand to raise grateful voices at your return.  All I can offer is my thanks you are here with us, and my wish your help....so much to learn of this world."

"My lord, I stand before you, I will die for you, my friend. And I fear in my heart, that there is something, a new threat, a maelvolence that threatens us."

Olwe nods." Indeed there is...Lord Irmo has spoken in dreams of the rising of a great evil.  And its hand reaches out to crush all the children of Illuvatar. "

Nole speaks.  "My king let my wisdom help us in our search to determine this new evil. Not only for our sake, but for all who embrace the light."

Ossi raises an eyebrow when the sailor calls the Lord King friend, glancing at him studiously.

"Thank you, Wise Nole.  Your help is needed and most welcomed.  But, my friend, you are weary from your journey.  I would you would take your rest, refresh and restore yourself.  Then let us meet and speak of the road ahead of us."  Olwe turns to his ever-present guard.  "Ossi, please, what my Lord Nole knows of this world is more than gold to us.  See him safely to his home, and return to me in the palace.  I have need of your assistance."

Olwe lays a hand gently on the merchant's shoulder.  Thank you for your open hand and heart, my Lord.  I am glad to see you, more than my words can express.

Nole bows low before his king and friend. "I do desire some rest, and my journey was long. But I hpe we make haste to begin our search. By my wisdom we shall search the mortal world."

Olwe smiles gently.  "Already we have the aid and protection of my noble cousin, Queen Comet.  We shall find our kin, my friend.  I swear by my heart's blood, I shall bring my people home."  Olwe draws his sword and runs the blade across his open palm. He closes his hand into a fist, squeezing drops of blood on the deck.  "This, I swear."

Olwe squeezes Nole's hand with the hand unbloodied.  "Thank you for your dedication and love to our kin."

 Nole takes his king's hand. "My friend thank you for your respect to this humble sailor."

 Olwe looks upon the weary sailor.  Please, now, walk with Lord Ossi, who will see you home, and sleep.  Dream of the songs of our people, once more filling the air with their music."

Nole speaks: "I will follow you, my lord and friend, all over the mortal world. Let us journey together when we are rested."

Olwe smiles gently and nod.  "Your dedication is appreciated, my friend."

Ossi nods, his hand pressed to his fist as he intones, "As you wish, my lord." The hand rests on his swordhilt then and he motions with the other "This way, if you would, Sir."

Nole follows his remaining kin to his home. Ready to enter the dream world.  Olwe looks at the waters of the seas, filled with the reflection of stars, dancing in the waves.  "Thank you, Lords Ulmo and Osse, for seeing this one home to us." He bows his head and loses himself in the gentle laps of the water against the planks of the dock.
 
> Next