This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

July 4, 2010

Swordmaidens and the Way of the Sword

< Previous    
Shawn Daysleeper

Nole Eambar steers his swanship westwards across the sea. By his skill and the grace of the Valar, each day brings the ship and the newly found Teleri closer to Alqualonde. Nole smiles to the teleri on board, hoping they become friends in these dark times. He goes back to work, organising supplies and such that they picked up at their last port of call.

Elenwe wanders the deck, still amazed that she is actually journeying to Alqualonde, noticing Feamahtar sitting and staring out to sea. Elenwe comes near the lone figure watching the sea. She wonders if she should speak first. She is so unsure of how to act or what to say.

Feamahtar notices that she no longer is alone and feels the eyes of someone else on her. Who is this? Another elf?  Feamahtar stands up and ask, "Are you Teleri?" Elenwe answers. "Hello, I am Elenwe. Yes, I am Teleri, and I have come aboard to journey with Lord Nole to Alqualonde. Are you Teleri, My Lady?"

Feamahtar expresses joy on her face "I am Lady Feamahtar. Indeed, and to see you is wonderful"

Elenwe says, "I still cannot believe that I am not alone in this world.  First Lord Nole and now you, Lady Feamahtar. Tell me, are there other Teleri?" Feamahtar nods. "Ahh yes, My Lady, it is, indeed, good to see you also .. a Teleri. My heart is full of joy to see you."

Elenwe smiles at her kinswoman. "Lord Nole spoke of trouble in the homeland. What can you tell me?"

Feamahtar reaches out to ensure that she is not a dream. "Welcome aboard". Elenwe says, "Thank you, so much."  She touches Feamahtar's hand.  Feamahtar replies, "I had no idea that there were more of us on board. It is good to know we finally going forth as many to serve our king." Elenwe nods. "Aye, My Lady, I am eager to serve the king. What can you tell me about the trouble Lord Nole mentioned?"

Feamahtar stutters. "If I only could... but it is a mystery that none have been able to answer for me .. my friends all disappear and I was left..." Elenwe interrupts. "No friends. That is exactly my position....or was, before I met Lord Nole and you, My Lady," Feamahtar continues. "Until Sir Nole found me I thought I was alone without a single Teleri left." Elenwe sighs. "I know not how I will be able to serve the king. I have no fighting skills."

Feamahtar replies. "Ahh, Lady Elenwe I did not know.. I thought you a warrior..." Elenwe shakes her head."No, My Lady, I have spent many a long year wandering in unfriendly ports. Lord Nole says I am needed, all Teleri are needed. And I am ready to do what I can."

Feamahtar displays a pensive expression on her face. "I see. Do you wish to serve your king with a sword, fair lady?" Elenwe exclaims, "Oh, yes, I would. But I must learn the way of a sword, I fear."

"There are many ways to serve our King, and all will be necessary now with so few of us.  But all must now learn the way of the sword to survive this unknown horror." Feamahtar smiles. "I would be honored to help you learn how to protect yourself and also any Teleri. Should you find the sword your way I would welcome you as a fellow sister of the sword."

Elenwe says. "Oh, Lady Feamahter, the honor would be mine." Feamahtar smiles and hugs Elenwe. "it is my honor  and that of the King's.  We all must do what is necessary. Welcome indeed."  Elenwe hugs Feamahter back. "I'm glad, and will do my best."

Feamahtar suggests "Come, let us find you a sword. It is none to soon for you to learn how to protect yourself and all here." Elenwe says, "I'd like that. And I must find suitable garments if I am to learn the way of the sword." Feamahtar suggests, "Perhaps Sir Nole will  help you." Elenwe nods. "Aye, Sire, if you would." Feamahtar nods  and smiles. "And suitable clothing." She laughs the first time in a long time.

Nole speaks. "The ways of the sword. Aye, it has come to that, for there may be unknown horrors awaiting us when we disembark in fair Alqualonde. There are swords a plenty here, but not enough trained hands to use them." Elenwe says, "I want to be ready. My Lady, can we begin soon?" Feamahtar grins, pleased by Lady Elenwe eagerness. "Of course." Elenwe smiles shyly.

Nole hands Lady Elenwe a beautiful sword, crafted long ago by expert hands in the now lost city of Gondolin. A beautiful sword, encrusted with precious gems on the hilt. Elenwe's eyes widen. "Oh my, how beautiful. Thank you, Sire, thank you." Nole says as he hands her the sword, "Perhaps this sword would serve you mi'lady?" Feamahtar nods. "May it serve the Teleri and you well." Elenwe fixes the sword and sheath in place. "Like this?"

Nole smiles as his two new friends work together, learning the way of the sword. He sees them, willing to serve, to die, to protect those whom they love. All the while, his face fills with more concern with each passing league of the journey.

Nole taps his own belt, a beautiful gem studded dagger sheathed there. Nole breathes deeply, happy to serve with his new friends for his king. He steers the swanship westwards and soon the towers of Alqualonde's castle appear faintly on the horizon. "It is now time to come home" mutters the sailor. "Yes, it is time."

  > Next