This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

July 6, 2010

Nolë Returns to Alqualondë with the Swordmaidens

< Previous    
AelKennyr Rhiano

The day had dawned hot, and was hotter still, as afternoon rolled across the swanhaven of the Elves.  Sweat crawled, it felt, betwen Olwe's shoulder blades, beneath his armor, but he merely wiped the sweat off his brow and continued to stalk the deer he had spotted in the woods. Carefully, he approaches the buck....part of him mourning that he would soon take the animal's life to sustain his own, but a soft growl from his stomach convinces him otherwise.

Elenwe Morefinesse follows behind Feamahtar, going before Nole as he completes arrival preparations. "Where are we going, Feamahtar? I have never been here and do not know the way."

"Shhhh .. yes I have not either listen.." Feamahtar looks around.  "I shall guide you through the woods to the Castle," says Nole, somewhere behind them both.

Elenwe freezes, listening.  "Wait," cautions Feamahtar," the birds have stopped singing.  Something is disturbing them."

"We must proceed slowly," cautions Nole.  Feamahtar walks forward slowly, her sword drawn.  "We do not know what has befallen fair Alqualonde since I departed last."

Just then the buck turns his head, startled by voices.  Olwe hears the voices as well and watches the buck bound away. Slowly, narrowing his eyes, he eases the string back ....Straining his eyes, he catches the flash of steel. 

"There, Elenwe whispers, "there, through the trees. A buck."  Nole senses something is in the woods.  "Elen, stay back," warns Feamahtar. Elenwe draws her sword. "Could it have been the buck making the sounds you hear, Feamahter?" Her friend answers, "We do not know what dangers are here."  "Be on your guard, my companions," warns Nole.   "Aye, Lord Nole," whispers Elenwe.  "Lord Nole,  perhaps you should draw your weapon."

Slowly,  Olwe drops his bow to the ground and goes for his sword. He advances quietly, pulling his hood up around his face to mask himself. The voices sound elven,but he does not recognize the female voices.  Feamahtar moves slowly forward, ready to rush toward the spot the noise was generated from.  "There," whispers Elenwe, excitedly, "There! That is steel, glinting in the sun!"  Nole nods and proceeds towards the noise in the woods slowly.  Feamahtar moves now swiftly toward the glint of steel.  Elenwe stumbles behind Feamahtar and Nole, wondering why she left the port Nole found her in to die in the woods of Alqualonde.  Now Olwe approaches, hearing Nole, but he does not sheathe his sword.  Time in the mortal world has taught him caution.

Feamahtar prepares herself to defend her comrades. She spots a lone figure and is ready to battle.  Nole speaks quietly, "Slowly now."  Elenwe sees a striking figure in white moving toward them, sword drawn. She advances slowly.  Stepping into the clearing, Olwe beholds a elven maid, slight of form, holding a sword before her.  His eyes take in the grip she has on her blade.  Holding his sword steady, he points the tip at her and speaks in Quenya.  "Declare yourself, maiden."

Feamahtar: runs toward the figure sword raised. "Halt!"  Nole sees the hooded figure and stands in fear. Feamahtar is startled by the language used by the stranger. Olwe eyes the second maid, her rush toward them... His hands are steady, and his voice carries across the woods. "Declare thy self!"

Nole cries out,"Who are you who also uses my toungue?"  Olwe raises his head at the sound of the merchant's voice, and there is a lilt to the voice as he answers, the tone more kind, chiding.  "Know me not, sir?" Nole eyes widen at the kind voice.  Stepping forward,  Elenwe declares," I am Elenwe Morefindesse. I am come from a far land to serve the king of this good land."

Olwe lowers his blade. Then he sheathes it and throws back his hood.  Feamahtar gives a loud sigh. Could it be?  Olwe smiles at the merchant, who returns the smile and bows.
Elenwe stands in amazement as she watches the blade being sheathed.  Olwe chided, "You were gone so long, you forgot my voice, my friend."  Elenwe turns and watches Nole smiling and bowing, hears the other's voice.   Feamahtar steps back and lowers her sword immediately.  "No my king, I have never heard your stern voice before. It was new to my ears."  Elenwe sheaths her sword and gasps when she hears "My King."

A faint blush steals across the king's  face.  "I am sorry for that sterness, see how stalwart and loyal these maidens are."  Nole smiles, "Yes, they are very stalwart."

Elenwe looks at Olwe. "You are he whom we are come to serve." She drops into a low curtsy. "Your Majesty."  Feamahtar bows her head.  "My king." Olwe smiles gently and extends a hand, raising her back up.  He gazes curiously at her.  "Greetings, maid of the Teleri.  I am Olwe."  Nole rises and smiles, so happy to look upon his king's face once again. Olwe turns to the second maid and offers his hand, to help her back up.  "Be at peace and welcome."  Elenwe lLooks up into the kind face, and stammers, "T-thannk you, m-my king. I never dreamt that I should ever have the sight of another Teleri, much less a royal one." Feamahtar, silent, is overcome by extreme emotion to find the one she sought to serve with her sword.

Olwe smiles gently and then turns to Nole. "My lord, you have brought back a bounty, indeed. Nor did I dream that two such fair Teleri were alive in the mortal world," says Olwe.

 Elenwe: moves to stand beside Feamahtar, to support her. Nole smiles and bows again. "I know not why our paths had crossed int he mortal world, but it brings joy to my heart that there are more there."

Olwe crosses the distance and places a hand on Nole's shoulder. "I worried so, for you.  When you were overdue, I had great tripidation in my heart.  Thrice blessed is your return, for we have kin again in our blessed lands."  Nole takes Olwe's hand. "I apologise for my delay, and am greatful you are safe. There  is evil at work int he mortal world that some of us have beheld with their own eyes."

Elenwe moves a step forward and says, "My king, we are both ready to serve you, to fight to the death if necessary."  Olwe looks at the maidens, his brow furrowed.  "The solitude has made my forget my manners...Are you tired? Hungry? Thirsty? We can make our way to the pub...I remember the days when it was alive with the sounds of returning sailors."

Elenwe: looks at Feamahtar, concerned. She has come to love her like a sister during the voyage to Alqualonde.  Elenwe turns to the other elven maid. "What say you, Feamahtar? Be ye hungered?"

Olwe squeezes Nole's shoulder consolingly at the merchant's words.  "The Darkness is coming."  Feamahtar: reaches out and touches Elenwe to reassure her ..

Nole: smiles. "Yes, let us go to the pub. Let the memories of returning sailors fill my heart as well."

Olwe smiles after a sadness flits across his face. "Lead on, then, Friend Nole! We have much to celebrate."  He pauses...He turns to the maidens. "After the kinslaying...when we deep in our sorrow....maiden in their grief turned hands once used to better arts to the craft of the sword....Fierce they were in their dedication to protecting this land, their loved ones. Deeply and with great dedication they learned the ways of war and never had any clan had so fierce a group of warriors. For all that I was their king, I tell you now I would have been loathed to face them as enemy."  Nole nods at Olwe's words. "And now, before you stand two of those warriors."

Feamahtar again bows to Olwe. "My king, I failed to protect my friends .. I shall not fail you." Olwe nods and then gently looks into Feamahtar.  "Nay lady. much evil is at work. This none of your doing.  And we SHALL see our people returned to us..." his eyes turn steeely cold..." or shall have retribution." 

Elenwe adds, "I hope to become as skillful as they, your majesty. Faemahtar has begun my instruction in the way of the sword."  Feamahtar pulls herself as tall and upright as possible and reaches out and touches Elen shoulder. Elenwe feels Feamahtar's touch and stands tall beside her, head help high. 

 "Welcome, Swordmaidens, to Alqualonde, home to you by right of birth and kinship.": Slowly, Olwe bows his head.  "Be strong, as thy mothers were strong.  Believe in the goodness of Illuvatar and the Will of the Valar."

"Thank you, my Lord," says Feamahtar, so overcome with emotion that she cannot state her great joy in meeting him.

Nole feels joy in his heart to see two Teleri home in Alqualonde. He has forgotten, at least for a while, that there is great evil at work. He leads the four Teleri to the pub. It was not long before laughter and singing echoed within. Laughter these walls have not heard for a time, too long of a time.

> Next        > Next Fëamahtar