This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

July 20, 2010

Second Conclave of the Greater and Lesser Ainur

< First Ainur Council      < Previous Vána & Linfëa      < Previous Nienna

Slowly the Greater and Lesser Ainur found their seats.  Eonwë rises and clears his throat.  Arien watches Ossë pace.  He's a restless sea waiting to storm.  Ulmo turns to look upon the Herald of Manwë.

"On behalf of his magnificence, Lord Manwë, High King of the Valar, I welcome you to this second council. Alas, I regret to report that my Lord may not attend this evening. Thus, I call this meeting to order in his name." Ulmo bows his head to respect for Eonwë. "Hail, Eonwë, voice of Manwë, Lord of the Valar."  Eonwë bows to Lord Ulmo.

  Ulmo continues to speak. "In truth, I can imagine much occupies his thoughts, seeing the darkness which swirls ever present in the mortal world."

"Do we know anything more about this darkness?" ask Nienna.

"Sailors pray to me, those that know my name, as though the seas would swallow them whole.  How came they to fear me, I cannot imagine," answers Ulmo.

"That is terrible."

Ulmo gives a slight shrug. "For many, many seasons, my name was unspoken among the world of elves and men...I do no know what inspires this fear. "

Nienna turns to the Ainu Linfëa. "And yet, Linfëa, I saw you use the waters of the oceans to beat back the terrible flowers in Vána's garden."  Arien listens carefully. Eonwë listens with great concern.

But Linfëa rises. "I fear I have been called away . .  I will return if possible, please forgive me." 

"Return soon," said Nienna. Ulmo turns his gave upon the Ainu Linfëa, nods as she is called away upon a mission of Manwë. Nienna continues.  "She did indeed use Ulmo's waters, to great success.  And I have not heard of any more strange occurrences in Vána's garden. Not that anything should ever have been able to get in there."

Ulmo nods slightly.  "Vána's garden?  More has happened since last we met?"

"Not that I have heard. No more problems, I mean."

"With the garden you mean," interjected Arien. Ulmo nods curtly, brow furrowed and lips pressed tight. "True," answers Nienna, "no more problems with the garden.  The rest of the world is a different matter, alas."

"My watery world is unchanged," Ulmo states.  Ulmo turns to Ossë and beckons him forward.  "But Ossë has walked among the mortal shores.  He shadows the Teleri king."  Ossë speaks up. "I have walked all the beaches of the lands of middle earth. They appear to me unharmed but quiet. Alas, perhaps, too quiet." 

Ossë continues. "But for this observation, I fear I cannot recall any event that led me to see any signs of such a terrible darkness. The teleri king himself fares well, but his mind is fraught with many worries. His people are slow to return."

"Thus our own Undying Lands were invaded while the mortal world fares well?"  Ulmo's face clouds with anger.

"The Teleri people are returning?  At our last meeting, all were missing."  Nienna looks to Ossë. Ossë shrugs dismissively. "I cannot account for everything, only what I myself can know. And I know of no darkness, that I can myself account for."

Ulmo turns to listen to Ossë.  "But you say his people are slow to return?  From whence came they?" Ossë glances at Nienna "It seems the kings personal guard, his grand daughter and a few others have made their way back to Teleri shores. Or so I believe"

"That is something," Nienna replies.

"I recall some merchant came from sea by boat, saying of other missing children."

"As Ulmo asked, where have they been?

 "His granddaughter came from the mainland, or some such. The guard speaks rarely if at all; no word can be said of his entry back onto Teleri soil."

"Yet that darkness lifts a little, if even a few of the people return.  Such a mystery."

Ossë looks impatient, if the sea can look impatient and mutters like a crashing wave "... am I some kind of spy... to say all that has passed there?! Have I not other pressing matters aside from the coming and going of a few children?"

Ulmo turns a sea cold gaze upon the Water Lord.  "Forget you not where you sit, sirrah." Ossë makes a face and mutters to himself, picking up his pacing again. Nienna shakes her head at how an Ainu could be so impatient. Ulmo sighs.  "Centuries change not his nature." Ulmo speaks again. "There is also a sailor.....his prayers reached my ears."  Arien looks to the assembly with her fiery eyes: It seems as if they have been scattered among many lands.

Nienna asks Ossë, "No new atrocities have been seen in the outer world?"

"I witness nothing of the kind. Even the dragons that visited the sea elves have not been seen in many moons."

 "Nor those balrogs?  There were rumors they were loose."

Ulmo crosses his arms.  "It is as the calm before a great sea storm,"

 "Had they not been dealt with?" asks Ossë.  "Balrogs?" echoes Ulmo.  Ossë looks interested, his gleaming eyes widening "... Storm? Where is the storm!?" Excitement carrying in his voice. Arien hears the faint hiss as Ossë's mist  comes close to her and evaporate: "The balrogs continue to harass and attack the elves of several realms"

"It seems unlikely any of the Children could deal with a balrog," muses Nienna.

Eonwë speaks up. "Clearly not.....the Noldor were never able to." Ulmo nods in agreement with Nienna.  He turns to Lady Arien.  "What else has your fiery eyes seen, sister?"   Arien looks down and bite her lower lip: "My lord...the darkness...it it there...I have felt his stare."

Mandos, sitting beside his sister, spoke. "I also have noticed disturbances within the spirits, an awakening of sorts."

Ulmo feels the heat radiating from the Mair of Varda, the moisture sucked from his very skin and pulls away.  "Mighty it must be to pierce the brightness of the day orb." Nienna looks worried.  Melkor grows stronger?  Stays he in his prison?
[
 "As I guide the sun to the est, there are times when I feel a familiar shiver run through me as when I tended the golden tree...I came to loathe the look he gave me."

"This did not happen before?" asked Nienna.

"It is my understanding that Melkor yet lies in prison," Eonwë says. "But I feel his spirit stir, he may be imprisoned, but his works stretch far beyond it's walls." replies Mandos.

"Indeed, Brother," said Nienna to Mandos.  To the others, she says,"Yet it is not good news if Lady Arien is feeling his attention."

Ulmo nods at Eonwë's words, and then then, absently at Nienna and Mandos' as well. "This would not be new for him, for he has managed such feats before," Eowne continues.
Arien feels her mood darken as her eyes glow with flames: "It was also my understanding, thus, too."

"We must be wary of it," cautions Eowne.  Ulmo agrees, "Indeed, Herald of Manwë, you have it aright."

Nienna adds, "Yes, and at those times, he worked much mischief, while we thought all was safe." Eowne nods. Ulmo turned to Mandos. "Doomsman, has any of the Teleri entered your halls?"

"None. Lord Ulmo, have passed my Doors into my Halls of Honour." Arien speaks. "I feel his gaze, and if he is not yet free, his will is fixed on such a purpose as to bring darkness once again"

Nienna adds, "His will is always to bring darkness." Ulmo starts nearer to the Maia of the sun but stops, nodding, his fins twitching and his fists clenching.

 "Melkor's devices has no bounds. Perhaps he had enacted new mischief to contain the souls of the Teleri," says Mandos.

"We cannot battle him if he is not in corporeal form with which to engage. But shall we suffer darkness upon the world of the Children?" asks Ulmo.

"That is a troubling idea," says Nienna.

Ulmo turned to the Lord of sea"Ossë, you said the Teleri king is still troubled in his sleep. Night mares or directives from Irmo, I wonder?"

Nienna interjects. "Irmo has in the past given the king directives.  But I have not spoken to my brother recently.  I no nothing of these new dreams "

Ossë adds. "I am not sure of their nature, mere that he dreams of portents, but if they are merely nightmares, of his own creations, or impregnations of Irmo in his mind, that is not something I am privy to. Whatever their source, their presence keeps him up during the dark-hours."

Ulmo paces, his eyes flashing , nostrils flared.  "Melkor has wrought destruction over and over again...shall  we tolerate yet another time?  We held ourselves apart the last time, and look what he unleashed upon the creation of Ilúvatar."

Ossë answers back. "We are not keeping apart this time, but what can be done against an enemy we cannot strike. An enemy we have already imprisoned?"

Nienna asks,"What action would you suggest, Lord Ulmo?" Ulmo stops in his tracks. Linfëa who had returned silently once again gathers her winds around her. Arien trembles slightly, remembering the leering of the dark lord and his eventual treachery in the golden tree she cared for and loved "If we wait until he comes to full power, it may be too late" Eonwë fingers the handle on his sword, thinking of another go at Melkor, but knowing better than to voice the opinion.

Ulmo asks, "Can we not walk the mortal world and crush his minions?" "And yet who are his minions? Know you their names, whereabouts, faces?" asks Ossë.

Eonwë adds, "Would that not simply delay him?"  Arien follow up with "His minions are the balrogs, elementals and other creatures of powers of darkness"

Ulmo heaves a sigh. "Ossë is right."  He casts a look at the Ainur. "Though I shall not hear the end of it to admit he is...this time."

Ossë continues. "Speak what you know, and this moment I and Eonwë and any others who wish it may go to crush their very lives and all that they fester!" He pauses and grins at Ulmo's words, the waters parting to reveal perfect pearl 'teeth', gleaming

 Nienna points out, "Who is it who whispers lies to your sailors?  How could you identify such a one?"

 Eonwë nods to Ossë..."For my part, I would stand at your side, but I expect there will be a price to be paid for such a measure."

Mandos adds,"But then there is the matter of the Teleri spirits. Defeating Melkor's minions may not bring them to my halls."

Ossë rejoins, "If we do as we should and better, the price will be paid by the minions of Melkor and he himself, and not us."

Nienna adds her concern. "If the Teleri are not dead, then we do not want to hurry them to the Halls"  Ulmo looks at her. "You fear that?"

Mandos, too, speaks, "If they are dead, but if they are simply missing we do not know."

Ulmo muses aloud. "Is it still the will of Ilúvatar that Melkor be not utterly destroyed, such that his vile evil be forever wiped?" Nienna frowns.  "Have we the power to utterly destroy an Ainu?"

Eowne answers her. "Combined, perhaps.....but Lord Ulmo brings an interesting question to ponder. Only Ilúvatar himself could answer this."

"As the great creator... he would not condone a great destruction of his  very first creations," Ossë clenches his first around his trident.

Mandos offers, "Destroying Melkor may bring about unforeseen changes. Ones we could not predict regarding the balance of nature."  Eonwë nods in agreement.

Ossë adds, "As much as we will suffer by his hand, for his survival."  Arien looks down sadly

 "Melkor is of the same nature as we are.  Perhaps it is not our place, nor within our power, to destroy him," suggests Nienna. "He is bound to the fate of Ea, just as we are." Ossë grumbles. " But neither can we allow his power to reign on Arda," Arien points out.

Ulmo speaks. "Then should we amass and descend to the mortal world to at least crush his supporters, wherever they are found?" Eonwë closes his eyes for a moment, receiving the word of Lord Manwë in this matter.

"What, crush those of the Children he has deluded?" asks Nienna. Ossë answers, "There is no will I know of Ilúvatar's that would want those vile things to live. This, at least, is in our power and we may do it as we must to protect Ea"

Eonwë rises."My Lord speaks." Arien listens. Ulmo falls silent and back away, head bowed. Mandos listens.  Eonwë continues. "Be it known that any who so wish to join in arms in this war may do so, with this condition: That they be limited to taking an Elven form, becoming mortal, and thus having only their strength and abilities. There are exceptions, however."

Ulmo's face darkens as he listens, silent. Nienna ponders this unusual condition. Ossë rages, throwing his fist up "And so that we, as they cannot, may not defeat them either!"

"'As I said, there is an exception, Lord Ossë." says the Herald of Manwë. Ossë glares but listens.  Arien ponders and listens
"Should any find that they must directly battle balrogs or other fallen Ainu, then and only then may they exhibit their full powers. This is Ilúvatar's will, according to My Lord." Eonwë resumes his seat.

Ossë holds up his trident, caressing along the slim length of it. "... This... I will agree to...." a gleam in his eyes, entirely too obvious.  Mandos nods, his head still bowed. Nienna smiles, imagining Lord Tulkas, or Ossë, searching out balrogs to fight
Ulmo speaks, his voice a rumble, like the crashing of waves. "Thus, even the seas are made clear as a path by which dark things may seek out the Children of light and wage war."  He sighs and bows his head..."But the will of Ilúvatar be done."

" And we who are not suited for fighting?  What do we do? Brother Namo, what will you do?" Nienna turns to Mandos.

Ossë answers. "In all war there is many roles, Nienna. There will be grief, and much need for compassion. In this, the affairs of war, you are but the best suited."

"There is grief now."

"All else are but weapons by which your gifts are needed." Ulmo crosses the way as though upon calm seas. "Bring hope, compassion, love, belief."

"There are ways of subduing the enemy other than fighting. I shall seek out this path." Mandos turns to his sister. Eonwë thinks there will be grief until the shadow falls. Arien continues to ponder as the fire lights in her eyes "I know what I will do."

"I do hope you will continue to guide the Sun!." exclaims, Nienna.

Ossë grins at Arien "We can be so destructive. It is only such a pity we cannot be a pair of powerful forces you and I"

 Arien answers Nienna. "I will continue to guide the sun, but will seek out a child of Ilúvatar to fight in my stead...and will imbue him with an inner fire" Ossë stops a moment... considers that better "... I lie... With restraint, as a force unified, we can be rather effective...."

Ulmo turns to Eonwë. "I see the wisdom of this, Lord Herald." He contemplates the circle of Ainur.  "Were we to descend as we are, we would be seen as gods, and thus perhaps, in our minds, consider ourselves to  be such, in time."

Mandos continues to speak to his sister, Nienna. "Perhaps, my sister, we can seek out a way to help the Teleri King and the Children as they face this new terror. We must raise their morale in these dark times."

Ulmo speaks."We cannot fall to the conceit of Melkor, that we are such beings of power to rival the song that brought Ea into creation."

Nienna adds, "Force is Melkor's weapon."   Arien nods. "I agree that such pride is what makes Melkor what he is."

Ulmo looks at the brother and sister. "Mandos, Nienna, I think your task, hardest and most crucial, to keep hope alive."

 Eonwë leans over to Arien after her comment is made...."My sister, I believe one already acts in your service.   Perhaps he may do."

Ulmo turns to the Herald of Manwë. " Eonwë, are we prohibited from encouraging  heroes to step forward, for providing our guidance and our wisdom?  Those of us who have such to give," he glances briefly at Ossë with a long suffering smile. Ossë looks at Ulmo, dead pan, looking not at all plussed by his words and obvious glances.

Eonwë answers the Lord of the Seas. "Of that I am not certain.   I would at needs have to address this to My Lord."
Arien smiles at Eonwë: "My thoughts exactly...Ulmo you yourself have offered wisdom and guidance at need."  Ulmo bestows a smile upon Arien.  Sky and water parts us, but not our thoughts on this." Ossë bristles a little, but keeps his thoughts to himself.

"I ask that you do, Good Herald." Eonwë nods.  Nienna asks the assembly, "Have we not always given wisdom and advice to those who would listen?" She turns again to Mandos. "Do you think, brother, that we should visit these Teleri?  Irmo seemed to favor them, as important in the battle against the darkness." He continues thoughtfully. "I would, were I able, to foster a hero among the Children. That, I have never done."

Mandos answers his sister. "Sister, I agree whole heartedly. These Teleri stand at the front of war. We must stand with them."

" We have been too distant from the Outer World," ventured Nienna.

Ulmo nods. "I have moved Alqualondë and made it an island in the mortal world.  I would strengthen the arm and resolve of the Swordmaidens of the Teleri, and bid Ossë continue in disguise to guard the Teleri King."  Nienna hopes the Teleri king is not a nervous sort, who is put off by a pacing guard.

Arien feels a fire of hope within her grow: "Yes! If we can strengthen the children if Ilúvatar to greater courage and greater strength...just as Ilúvatar does with each of us...this would be a great gift to them!"

Eonwë speaks. "Then it is settled for now." Ulmo nods in agreement. Mandos adds,"This is our world as it is theirs, we stand with the Teleri. We are bound to their fate."

Eonwë rises and says, "And so be it.  The Will of Ilúvatar be done!"

> Next Irmo & Nienna        > Next Mandos & Tilion        > Next Ulmo        
> Next Arien                       > Next Linfëa