This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

September 19, 2011

Ilmarë Speaks to Manwë Again

< Previous Manwë     < Previous Ilmarë    

Shawn Daysleeper, Rajani Milton, and Ilianor Illios

Resting in his throne with Ainome at his side, Manwe, Lord of the West, contemplates the happenings of late. Beside him sat the Wind, Ainome. He asks his wind, "Please, would you play for me, Ainome?"

Ainome answers him. "I will sit near to you, my Lord,  I'm glad we are together." Bending her head over her harp, the Wind begins to sing:
"Hlasta!
Quetis Ilfirimain:
Corma turien te
Corma tuvien
Corma tultien te
Huines se nutien.
Tercáno Nuruva.
Tuvien Corma tultien te
Huinesse nutien
Corma turien te Corma."
Manwe turns to the gentle Wind. "Thank you. Your song relaxes me."

"My Beloved Lord," Ainome says. "This song tells about prophecy. See you something that is to happen?"

"My sight is difficult to understand, and my mind is clouded. But as you sing, things are becoming clearer," answers Manwe.

Looking up, Ainome sees the Maia Ilmare.  Turning to the Breath of Arda, the Wind says to herself, "Here is the handmaid of Varda." In a louder voice, she announces as prompted by the Maia, "My Lord,  Ilmarë Starkeeper -- no, Ilmarë, sister of Eonwë."  She bows.

Manwe looks up, sees Ilmare and motions her to rise. "You have returned. Please rise and come foreward."

Ainome says as she strums her harp, "I'm glad to sing and play music that Iluvatar has created. This is the music that  have inpires me." Beautiful harp music fills Manwe's Hall. "Please, let Illuvatar touch our hearts, but speak with Lord Manwe. Has something happened?"

Ilmare says to Ainome, "I remember the Song...but I was never one for songs here. Your music is beautiful, and eases cares."

Manwe listens calmly to the music. "Your music inspires me."

"The Ainulindale music is our soul, the voice of creation," the Wind answers.

Ilmare sighs and enjoys the music. Manwe listens for a time, Ilmare's arrival reminded him of Eonwe, who was not here to enjoy Ainome's music this night.

 Ainome's voices fills the hall:
"From darkness I understand the night:
Dreams flow, a star shines
Ah! I desire Evenstar.
Look! A star rises out of the darkness
The song of the star enchants my heart.
Ah! I desire..."
Ilmare finds that the music brings to mind the way the Ainur sung and spoke together in ages past, before so many troubles happened. She, too, thinks of her brother. After a time, Manwe asks, "Please, Ilmare,  have you managed to carry out my request? Did you see your brother?"

"I love the song of Lúthien Tinúviel. Want to listen it?" the Wind asks.  As her fingers play across the harp, she wonders how the Maia will answer Manwe.

Manwe smiles to his Wind and nods. "Yes, Ainome, I would like to hear it." Then the Lord of the West turns his gaze upon the Maia and waits patiently for her answer.

Ilmare responds. "Yes, my lord, I have seen my brother."  As she listens to the song, the story of Lúthien Tinúviel and thinks of her friend Melian and wonders what it would be like to love an Elf, as Melian and Tilion have done.

Ainome finshes the song, looking in the eyes Ilamare. "I don't have the same sweet voice of Tinùviel,  but I hope you have enjoyed the song."

Ilmare stirs from thought. "Your music calms the heart." To which, Manwe himself adds, "I need comfort.

The Lord of the West then turned to Ilmare. "How is Eonwe?" he asks.

Ilmarë looks at the Lord of the West on his throne. "Lord, I am distressed for my brother Eonwë. He is -- he is not well."

Manwe nods: this was hardly news to him. "What do you think could be wrong with him?"

Ilmarë smiles wryly. "His heart is broken, lord. He thinks that you have cast him off forever, yet he loves you and would serve you. I did not know how to comfort him." She frowns, thinking also of the strange light in her brother's eyes as he spoke of Lord Aulë.

"I... I have not cast him off forever," Manwe says, trying to convince himself. He confides to her Ulmo's words to him. "Has he done anything to try to relieve himself of this madness?"

"He is naturally distressed that--" Ilmarë looks at Ainomë, unsure whether she should speak of Lord Aulë's treachery in front of another Maia. " -- he ponders the events in Mandos, but I do not think he knows what to do about them." Since you have refused to listen to him, she thinks. "He would defend you, defend everyone, as he has always done. So, he practices with the sword." She frowns again. "And this is right, but my lord, I would that he were not so angered and troubled."

Manwe frowns. "His anger has taken control of him. He let it take control. I wish he was here at my side, but he is troubled as you say, and cannot act as Herald. I desire to learn the truth behind his actions. Thank you for going to see him. It must be hard for you to see him in this state."

"He is my brother in the mind of Ilúvatar, lord. We have known each other's thoughts from the beginning. It pains me to see him clouded this way." Ilmarë bites her lip, then says more quietly. "Lord, have you spoken yourself to the Maker? I know I am not your adviser, but there seemed some truth in my brother's report. Should it not be known whether his anger has created the story from nothing, or whether in truth there is trouble in Mandos?"

Manwe thinks about Ilmare's words. He had planned to summon the Maker into his presence, but thought differently about it. He trusts Aule, but he also trusts Eonwe. Eonwe that was. The world of certainty is becoming clouded and chaotic. He needed someone to trust. "I have not spoken myself to the Maker. He was to be carrying out my request in Mandos."

Ilmarë considers her words. She sees why Eonwë is frustrated with his lord. "If Eonwë is to be believed, the Maker is not--quite--carrying out your orders, lord. And I did not find deceit in my brother's thoughts. Has your herald's word no weight at all now?"

Manwe thinks long on Ilmare's words "There may be truth in Eonwe's report. But I do not know the difference. I will contact the Maker and ask for his explanation as to what he is doing in Mandos and if he indeed defies my request."

Ainome speaks in the silence that descend. "I have a song. The words have been whispered in my ear by the Creative Voice.  I sing it now to inspire the mind of my Beloved Lord:
"You are not bound to loss and silence.
For you are not bound to the circles of this world.
All things must pass away,
All life is doomed to fade..."
The Wind's voice drops to a whisper as she softly sings.

Ilmare bows. "The king of the West is wise, as always. I hope that things are not so dire as my brother believes." She sighs. Her brother believes things very dire indeed. "I shall visit my brother as I can; it has been too long since we spoke as we used to."

The Lord of the West hopes he, too, can talk to Eonwe like before. He has been gone for far too long. "I hope things are not as dire as he reports, but I should consider his side of the report when speaking to Aule."

Ilmare nods. "I think that is all he would ask. At least, it is all I ask today."

> Next Manwë     > Next Ilmarë