This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

September 8, 2011

Manwë Summons Ilmarë

< Previous Manwë     < Previous Ilmarë  

Shawn Daysleeper and Rajani Milton

Lord Manwë's audience chamber is not far from the Lady Varda's. Ilmarë finds it easily, though it seems grander than she remembered. She greets the Winds at the gates with a respectful nod. She remembers their spirits, but they are all in new forms. She enters her lord's chamber and waits to be noticed.

The Lord of the West contemplates the words spoken by his trusted brother Ulmo not long ago in the glade. He considers summoning the Vala Aule into his presence to explain his side of the recent events at the Fallen One's old prison. However, there was another issue he felt closer to his heart that he wished to resolve first.

He looks up at the entry of Varda's Maia, Ilmarë. He hoped she could perform the task he already decided to assign to her.

"Please, come before me, Ilmarë"
"Yes, my lord." Ilmarë advances to the foot of the great throne and bows.


Manwe looks upon her. It has been a long time since his gaze fell upon her form. He was about to speak his request, but catches himself. He ought to exchange pleasantries. His mind is overladen by many things at hand. "Ilmarë," he speaks softly ."I trust your time abroad has been pleasant and enlightening?"

Ilmarë looks up, taking in the throne and the countenance of the Lord of the West. She does not know why she has been called here, but it is an honour to be in this place and to speak with the Elder King. His kind inquiry calms some of her worries.

"Oh, the things I have seen, my Lord! The Lady's stars grow in multitude and beauty each century. Were it not for an emergency calling me home, I should have stayed longer. Though I fear perhaps I ought to have returned some time ago."

Manwë's Throne

Manwe motions Ilmarë to rise. Nodding in agreement, he spoke. "Ever marvelous are the stars of Varda, Star Kindler. Their radiance within the luminiferous aether will never be diminished as to the will of Eru, The One." He then asks curiously,  "May I ask of your emergency?"

Ilmarë gulps. It is bad enough to have to bring this news to Varda, but at least Varda knows stars. "My lord, Vingilotë is missing. The Lady has set me the task of finding where he has gone. We fear that, perhaps, he has not disappeared of his own free will.  Earendil was always faithful. I have never known him to desert his duty."

Ilmarë and the Flame Imperishable

The Lord of the West nods, full well understanding the loss of the Vingilotë. Manwe himself has not discussed this issue openly as yet as he did not wish to raise alarm, but it is something he knows he must address soon. But he remembers the matter at hand. "Ilmarë, you must be wondering why I summoned you here tonight. I.. I have a request of you."

"Indeed, lord, it is always good to stand before you." She notices that he seems uncertain--much like the Lady Varda earlier. It worries her. "I would do what I can in your service."

The Breath of Arda waves to the empty space where normally stands Eonwe. "As you see, my Herald no longer stands at my side. Nor has he been in my presence for some time. I am uneasy, as I have never foreseen my reliance upon him until I sent him away. I... I would like you to find him and report to me his condition and actions."

For the first time, Ilmarë realizes that she has not seen her brother here tonight at all. He's always somewhere about Lord Manwe's halls. She tries very hard not to gape at the Lord of the West, but in her shock she cannot help speaking.  "My lord--you sent him away?  Why?" She recovers herself. "I--I'm sorry, my lord. But he has always been in your service."

"Why?" Manwe looks up, remembering the tension of that day.  "He dared to accuse one of the Valar of defiance and treachery. His words, while they once were full of wisdom, have turned to madness. His defiance of my word forced my questioning of his mental state, and I dismissed him. It was not your brother that stood before me that day, Ilmarë."

Worse and worse news. She can hardly believe it of Eonwë. "What has happened, lord? It seems there is distress everywhere. Elves fallen in Alqualondë, the Morning Star missing, and now my brother. Lord, he has been rash at times before, but never defiant." She bows again. "I will go to him as you ask. For myself, I wish to see Eonwë, from whom I have been long parted. And to know what has happened."

Manwe nods and affords a slight smile to the Maia. "Thank you for going to see him. I pray your task will be free from incident."

 Ilmarë laughs. "Ah, lord, you know my brother. We have always been honest with one another, but always there has been a bond of affection.  I can hope that whatever the case now, he will still see me." She bows again.

Manwe smiles at Ilmarë's laughter and wonders how long it has been since he himself laughed. As their conversation comes to an end, the Lord of the West considers her question.  "What has happened?"

He wished he could completely answer that question.

> Next Manwë     > Next Ilmarë