This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

June 13, 2011

History and Geography

< Previous Aztryd      < Previous Elwing    

Cinnamon Raymaker and Lihan Taifun

After an early morning walk along the beach, waiting with everlasting hope to see the morning star return to the skies, Elwing makes her way back to the palace and settles into a comfortable chair in a quiet alcove, taking some time to enjoy the peace and tranquility of this magnificent palace of her uncle.

Clutching the letter she has just written and sealed, Aztryd walks through the palace, looking for the person "Elwing", who, she has been told, can help her send the letter.  The palace is large, but only a portion of it is currently in use.  Wandering up and down pearly halls, she sees a female elf sitting quietly.  "Good morrow, lady."  She sketches a quick bow.   "I am looking for one called 'Elwing'."

Elwing looks across the quiet alcove to see the small dwarvish figure in front of her. Smiling welcomingly, she answers , "Then little mother, you have found the one you seek. I am Elwing the White , niece of King Olwë of Alqualondë.  "Is there something I might help you with?"

Aztryd bows again.  "Great lady!  The king, your uncle, suggested you would be able to assist me to post my message, to my kin."   She waves the letter, uncertainly, to illustrate.

Elwing smiles "Please, no more formalities! Come, sit and explain to me what has befallen you that you need to post a message?"

Strange that this woman -- this elf woman -- she has barely met should treat her like a clan-sister.  But Aztryd clambers into one of the high, elf-sized chairs next to Elwing.

Elwing continues, "Now - what is your name? How did you come to be here? I have so many questions!"

What a talkative one!  Who knew elves asked so many questions!  "My name is Aztryd.  I arrived here this morning.  That is ... I arrived here at the palace this morning.  One named Nolë brought me in.  I left my ship last night.  ... horrible things, those ships .... And I intended to walk the rest of the way home.  But they say walking is impossible.  So I at least need to let my kin know what happened to me.  And be sure they know what to do if my husband comes pounding on their gates, for he may now get there before I do.  .... And honestly, I am glad to have a bit of rest here before we need to move on. And ... some washing ... these aren't my clothes  .... as you can probably tell."

Aztryd, in borrowed clothes
Elwing looks at the dwarf's clothing and discreetly covers her mouth and coughs to stifle the giggle of laughter rising in her throat. In a more serious tone, she remarks "I couldn't agree more about ships, although my husband was a very great mariner indeed, I must admit I prefer to keep my feet on dry land - or up in the sky, wherever I may find myself. Nevertheless, you seem a little worried about your husband. Is he the reason you need to send this note? Has something befallen him that you need to inform your family?"

"Up in the sky?"  Aztryd stares at the woman in confusion.

"Aye, Aztryd! Oh, sorry - I forget that people don't always know of my abilities. When I was younger, with two boys of my own, I saved the Silmaril from being taken by plunging into the realm of Lord Ulmo. He benevolently provided me with the power of flight in the form a a great sea bird. Since that time I have been able to fly!"  She adds sadly,  "Until some dark force has twice made me plummet to earth and lose my way.  I have not yet dared try to fly again."

"You .... know how to fly."   It comes out as a statement, not a question.  But Aztryd stares, glassy eyed, at the blue and silver pattern inlaid on the far wall, tracing one tiny curl of one wave.

Elwing turns and looks at the little mother seated across from her and nods. "I can fly, in the guise of a sea bird - when there are no dark forces to prohibit it."

Elwing continues, trying to fill the silence as Aztryd digests this possibility.   "Tell me of your husband, Aztryd?  Why is it important that you need to have a message delivered to your family?"

Aztryd tries to pull herself back together.  Maybe flying is considered normal, here.  "My husband?"  Her lip curls involuntarily into a sneer.  "The less said of that old bear, the better.  I've left him, and he won't get me or the child back.  That is why I need to get this letter to my family, to be sure they won't pay him back a penny of the bride price.  And, "she adds as an afterthought, "they might be worried about us, if they find out we aren't at home."

Elwing looks in astonishment at the little mother who is indeed a "little mother". "You brought a child on such a journey? The child's welfare must obviously be at risk if you felt the need to remover her from the presence of her father. And of course your family will worry about you! I am sensing that the bride price is very important to you and your clan - though not as important as your precious child!"

"Aye, I never would have bothered with such a journey if it wasn't for the child.  I didn't bother, in the years before she was born.  But, to protect her, yes, we did what we needed to do to keep her safe.  Even if it meant leaving home.  Leaving my husband's home, that is, which I never heard of any dwarf doing before.  Nor traveling on a ship, either.  But we did.  And the child and I are safe.  And once we get back to my grandmother's clan home, there will be nothing at all my husband can do about it."



Elwing nods and brushes her fingers through her hair while thinking more on the dwarf mother's plight. Then asks, "And where, may I ask, is the home of your grandmother's clan?"

"Gamilfûn, you might have heard of it?" Aztryd asks doubtfully.  "It is a very old settlement.  In the Blue Mountains.  About a day's walk from Grey Havens."

Elwing blinks at the mention of the Blue Mountains, trying to envisage the place Aztryd has mentioned. "A day's walk from the Grey Havens you say?" she looks quizzically at the dwarf. "As I recall the Grey Havens was quite a distance west from the Blue Mountains?"

Middle Earth (Beleriand) in the First Age, as Elwing remembers it
{map adapted from Encyclopedia of Arda:   http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/maps.html}
{The dwarfish settlement that Aztryd is calling Gamilfûn was in the First Age called Gabilgathol (or Belegost in Sindarin Elvish, or Mickleburg in Human Common).}


Aztryd blinks in turn.  "The Blue Mountains are quite close to the sea.  There is a gap in the mountains, where the River Lhûn runs down to the sea, and the Grey Haven is there, on the shore of the Gulf of Lhûn."  She pauses, thinking back to old tales.  "In songs of long ago, they say that there were once lands to the west of the mountains.  But the Maker and his brothers had a great war with the Dark One, and all that land was drowned under the sea."

Elwing gasps at the news she has heard. Then remembers back to that war and realises that the lands she knew from her early life are no longer to be found. With a tinge of sadness for the loss she is feeling, she looks up at the dwarf and says, "Aztryd, so many things happened long ago - too many dark hours, too many lives lost. The darkness is reaching out to us again but I will take your message, even if only to see for myself what has happened to the world I once knew."

"You will ... fly there with my letter?"  Aztryd stutters, trying to comprehend this strange turn of a strange morning.  "That is a most generous offer.  If you ... remember ... those old days, then perhaps you remember the name of 'Belegost'?  For so the elves named Gamilfûn in those old days."

Elwing's brow furrows as she thinks back to the region east of Doriath and north of the mouth of the Sirion. "I believe the might River Gelion flowed in a line parallel with the mountains to the east and Belegost was close to the river Ascar which flowed into the Gelion. I remember Mount Dolmed and I believe that was close to Belegost. "

"I know no 'River Ascar' nor 'River Gelion'.  But Gamilfûn is indeed beneath Mount Dolmed."  Her eyes light at a sudden thought.  "If you are flying, then you will have no worries if my husband and his band are at the gates.  You will be able to fly right over them!"

Middle Earth in the Third & Fourth Ages.  The sea has moved east.  The Blue Mountains (Ered Luin), which were once on the eastern edge of "civilization" are now the western coastline.
{map adapted from Encyclopedia of Arda:   http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/maps.html}

Elwing chuckles as she hears the excitement in the voice of her new friend. "Aye! Tis my hope they do not shoot me down for dinner by mistake! Do they use bow and arrows?" Elwing asks with a raised eyebrow.

"No.  Fearsome weapons, those bows.  But no weapon for a dwarf.  It's those elves, who can see for leagues, who use bows."  She pauses a moment, embarrassed that she might have insulted the fine lady.  "No, axes and hammers they will have, and I've never heard them even brag of killing a bird with those."

Elwing smiles.  "Well thank Ilúvatar for that blessing at least!" replies Elwing. I will take your message Aztryd but I need to eat and rest a little before I leave. I will also need to have the names of people to whom I will carry the message. Will they be afraid of magic - how will they know I am a friend?"

"They will know of birds that carry messages, though not," she smiles at the thought, "birds that change into elves.  You will have the letter from me.  That should be proof enough that you are a friend, will it not?  My grandmother is named ..." she pauses a moment, to remember her 'outsider' name, "... Azagak.  But if the lord of Gamilfûn -- Ulreg, last I heard -- demands to take the letter himself, then let him. "

Elwing nods. "Very well Aztryd. I hope I arrive in time to deter your husband from his goal!."

Aztryd rises, and hands Elwing the sealed letter with a bow.  "You have my gratitude."

Elwing nods to the "little mother" and takes the letter.  She stand up and bids the dwarf farewell as she heads to the kitchens to find some food.

> Next