This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

May 3, 2011

Words of Comfort

< Previous    
Cinnamon Raymaker and Lihan Taifun

Feeling satisfied from the food and conversation shared, Elwing excuses herself from the company of her uncle and wanders through the now familiar rooms of his palace. Feeling a need for time alone, she strolls out of the palace surrounds and takes a walk through the small thicket, the sound of birds and crickets filling the air around her. Elwing walks past a waterfall, hearing the splashing of the water as it hits the rocks below and merges into the foamy pool, and a small pang of memory from her childhood returns. She quickly brushes back the thoughts and moves on toward the beach to stare at the comforting blueness and the shimmering of the sun on the waves. The rhythmic dashing of the waves on the sand and rocks just around the outcrop is soothing. She sits and loses herself in the normality of it all as she often did on the shores of her home in the Undying Lands.

Nienna, returning from her latest visit to the Undying Lands, picks a normally-deserted stretch of beach to reappear.  With all the practice in recent weeks, she can manifest "Apakenwe's" body in seconds now.  As far as she can tell, no one has yet noticed that her frequent "walks on the beach" often leave the physical plane. But today the beach is not deserted.  A figure is sitting, watching the waves. Apakenwe approaches, hoping to look convincingly like she has been walking all afternoon.   "Greetings, lady.  I hope I did not startle you."

Elwing turns her gaze from the contemplation of the ocean to discover the owner of the voice which has just spoken with her. Greetings.  I am sorry. You startled me a little. My mind was elsewhere."

Apakenwe smiles.  "Yes, I always find the sea calming.  Are you recently arrived?"  She thought she knew who all was living in city, those few. On closer inspection, this person looks somewhat familiar, though Nienna can't quite remember where she has seen her before.  There are so many people, over the millenia.

"Indeed. I arrived on the morning of the ritual. I have not met many in Alqualonde. My Uncle, the King, tells me his people are scattered, and he knows not where."

 "The King is your Uncle?"  Apakenwe tries to recall the royal Teleri family line.   "I have heard so, that the people are scattered.  A very mysterious -- and I might say alarming -- situation."

Elwing smiles at the young lady in front of her. "The King is actually my great uncle. I am Elwing the White, brought here by Lord Ulmo in time to try and help my uncle in his time of need. I am sure I saw you at the ritual."

Elwing. Now she remembers!  Yes, the Teleri are related to so many of the Elder Children ....  And if Ulmo is involved... well mysterious things are certainly afoot.   "Yes, my brother and I were at the ritual.  We are so glad the King is recovered! I am Apakenwe.  My brother Estelin and I are musicians, recently returned to the city."

"It is lovely to finally meet some of the people who have helped my unncle through his terrible ordeal. It preyed on my mind all of the time I was trying to reach him. So many times I tried, and so many times was I thwarted. It is only with the help of Lord Ulmo that I finally arrived here."

"Indeed?"  Apakenwe's brow wrinkles in worry.  "What strange tale is this?"

Elwing turns to Apakenwe and sees concern in her face. She apears to be someone with whom she might converse freely.  Elwing knows not why, but she feels comforted in the young minstrel's presence.
"'Tis a long tale, Lady Apakenwe. I would bore you with the details. Suffice it to say I have been tested many times, and my beloved has been taken from my sight. The fact that I know not where he is plays greatly on my mind."

"The Morning Star.  Yes, that is truly alarming."  Knowing that this is Elwing, she knows that Earendil, Guide of the Morning Star is her husband.  Everyone in the Blessed Lands knows their story.  "Alas, that worries many people."  She does not add that it worries the Valar themselves. But of course it is especially keen for you, since he is your husband."

Elwing nods sadly. "Indeed, Lady Apakenwe. I am used to his long voyages, but the fact that I cannot see him or even feel his presence worries me greatly. I tried so many times to fly to him, but each time was thwarted by something menacing. I had not the strength to continue, and thus Lord Ulmo came to my rescue to bring me here." Elwing looks at Apakenwe with great sadness in her gaze. "I know not what I should do."

Apakenwe continues to frown.  "I am hardly 'lady', only a musician.  But what mischief could thwart your flying? I have no doubts that, if you knew where he was, you would fly to him, or make every effort to do so.  But I have heard no rumor of where he is, or what has happened. And I am sure that, if Lord Ulmo knew, he would have told you."  Indeed, if anyone knew where Earendil was, the Undying Lands would have been ablaze with the news.

Elwing nods sadly and stares out to sea, again lost in contemplation.

"You are safe here and among kin, as safe as anyone can be in these troubled times.  If any news is found, I am sure it will come here, whether from Lord Ulmo or another carrier.  But who could search for him ....  that I do not know."

Elwing looks back to Apakenwe. "Aye, I am safe here with kin, but I know how important the disappearance of the Morning Star is to everyone. It has been my duty to save it before: Earendil's duty to keep it from harm and carry it to give hope to all. Now I fear that hope will be lost, and I feel responsible for its return. I know not where to search, nor how to return it to the skies, but if it be the will of Iluvatar then it shall come about."

"Oh, dear Lady, it was not your fault!  And we shall all keep hope in our hearts, whether the sign is in the sky or not.  Yes," she sighs, "this must rest with Iluvatar, for now.  Until there is some clue where to search.  But hope will not be lost."

Elwing looks to Apakanwe and hears the truth of her soothing words. Feeling that she has been comforted, she nods to Apakenwe. "Thank you for your words Apakenwe. I feel somehow comforted by your presence. I do not lose hope my beloved Earendil is safe. I just wish I could see him."

 "Yes, yes, of course.  It is so hard for you, to not know."  She places a comforting hand on Elwing's shoulder.

Elwing smiles. "Indeed it is, Apakenwe, but thank you for your understanding."

 "WIll you be going back up to the palace?  Or do you wish to sit here longer?"

Elwing turns to Apakenwe. "I will sit awhile Apakenwe. Again, my thanks!"

 "It is indeed calming.  I will see you this evening, perhaps.  It is an honor to have met you." Apakenwe turns up the overgrown trail up the hillside to the palace.