This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

December 5, 2010

Echuirbaneth Meets Jillian

December 5, 2010
Harumi Oanomochi

Echuirbaneth sails into the unknown harbor on the White Sparrow, tosses a line over the pillion, and hops down onto the small dock, wondering where exactly she is. Echuir sees the fresh snow and enormous trees, a small hut, and two enormous rabbits.

Jillian Newey cannot sleep nor rest. She is exhausted and can find no comfort in anything.  Jillian hears a slight sound...

Echuir speaks. "Oh...hello. Greetings, my lady."

Jillian returns the greeting, feeling unfriendly to this stranger. "Greetings elf."

"Mae govannen, which in my language means 'well met.' I'm sorry if I disturbed your nap."  Jillian shakes her head to clear the cobwebs from it.  "You are a faerie, are you not?" Echuir thinks but does not say that there seems to feel like there is more here than just a fae.

"I am Jillian. I am fae in part, yes."

"In part?"

Jillian  is trying to be pleasant, but is struggling with it and holds her tongue for fear of all that she is holding together. "Yes, part fae. The other part is well....not spoken of."

Echuir feels a level of hostility from the woman, and wonders at it.

"Where are my manners? Welcome to Tearmann."

"I do apologize for disturbng you and landing unbidden in your land. I will stay only long enough to gather a few things, like fresh water, and be on my way."

"Why are you here? And you did not disturb what was not... there no rest."

"Thank you for the welcome, my lady. I am Queen Echuirbaneth of Ithildor, an elven kingdom. Call me Echuir."

Jillian bows her head. "Then it is I who should be calling thee 'my lady.'"

Echuir smiles at the pretty fae."No formality, please. Just Echuir."

"I am sorry to be rude, but why would an elven Queen come to this land?"

"I confess that I was exploring. My king is off on affairs of state and I got bored."

"Exploring?  We are a land with little to offer elves."

"As I said, I was merely exploring, and this land looked so pretty and inviting. I have made many friends in other realms by my travels."

"I do not make friends with elves that easy, for I do not trust many of your kind."

"Yes, as you say, but everything in me tells me there is at least one elf here."  Jillian gives this elf a look of reproof, as she does not know if the elf speaks of her or her mate Hondo. Echuir's face falls. "Oh, I am sorry if my kind has ever offended you or caused ye harm. But not every elf is the same. Just as every fae is not the same."  She peers closer at the obviously nervous fae woman.  "You have lovely wings, by the way. I've often thought how wonderful it would be to have them."

"My wings are a shadow of what they were, and  for this I blame elves too."

"Oh, my dear lady...I am sorry that you have had such grief at the hands of my kinsmen. Whatever was done to you, if I may be so bold as to ask?"

"Please let me offer you a fire to sit by.  I may not like elves, but I can treat a Lady with the respect that is due her. Come, let me take you to a fire."

"Thank you."

Jillian takes Echuir to the open hut that is like a little cave with a warm fire, and a log with seating. "Please sit." Jillian, however, hesitates to sit.

"Thank you." The elven queen warms her hands at the fire in the pretty little hut, and sits on a plush pillow.

"Is that better? I hope it warms you?"

"Mmm...much warmer."

"Lady Echuir, I am not one who tells of my past to.....well.....someone I do not know."

Echuir nods. "I do understand. And I'm afraid here is little comfort and understanding I can offer as a stranger.  But know that I grieve that you were hurt . And that I would like to be your friend my lady. You said you name was...?"

Jillian does not sense a hostile elf here. "I am Jillian. Please forgive me, I am very rude. But I do see you know more than I speak and thus I will give you this version of my past."

"No, not at all...if a drow or orc showed up on my doorstep I might react the same. I'm happy to meet you, Lady Jillian."

"I am elven-fae, born of royal houses on both sides. My elven kin took the life of my mother. I do not trust elves. And now I am haunted by an elf I do not know. Do you elves kill your own all the time?"

Echuir inhales sharply in surprise at the lady's honesty and the horrible event she describes. Jillian's wings start a nervous ticking. "Nay, we do not kill our own kind. My lord and I , were we there, would have defended all of you with our very lives. Each life is precious."

"Thus was my father, for he did not like the bloodshed his kin did cause, and thus he left to be with my mother."

"I am a healer, and if there is anything I can do to help you through this trauma, I am at your disposal."

"I too am a healer but this wound is a hundred years old."

"And your father was an elven lord, and your mother a fae noble? Or perhaps the other way round?:"

"My father was the elf, yes."

" I am so sorry that you have been so deeply hurt, and for so long, but I do understand. Such horrors can last a lifetime." Jillian is wondering why is she telling this elf, but she can't stop. It is like the elf is pulling this information from her. Jillian bites her lip to keep from saying more, but cannot stop.  Echuir wipes a tear that trickles down her cheek, so caught up in the tale.

"You seem to be drawing this out of me. Why?"  Echuir thinks long and hard about this question. Jillian continues. "I mean nothing to you or your kind."

"I think because it is in my nature as a healer to offer a listening ear and to never judge. And my lady, your aura shows your pain so clearly, that I feel compelled to offer whatever comfort I can. That my kind did this to you, a kinswoman, for you are half elven, grieves me so."  

"Why do your kind haunt my sleep? Why can I not get this elf out of my mind? I am not myself because of these dreams. My lands that I am guardian over suffer because I am weak and cannot keep it safe."

"You are not sleeping, that is for certain, and haunted by nightmares. Tell me if you would feel safe sharing. My children and husband often ask me to interpret dreams from their reveries. I want to help."

"Who is Olwe? Why is he haunting me? Why does your kind kill him?" Echuir gasps, and Jillian, hearing the gasp, continues. "I do not understand. Do you know this elf?"

"Olwe is one of the firstborn. The king of the Teleri Elves, and my distant relative. I do not know him, but know of him. My father was a bard and often sang of him at the court of his brother, King Thingol. My great-grandfather, Elmo, was brother to both Thingol and Olwe."

"I do not know of elven lore. Why would I dream of this elven king? My mate, who is elven, does not speak of your kind, nor did my father."

"I do not know, to be honest, but our creator, Eru Iluvatar, will sometimes send us a dream to give us a nudge." The elven queen thinks a moment, then grins. "Your mate is elven?  Then you do not hate us all."

"No, I do not hate you all." She smiles. "But this king--why must he die?  And the ones before him die also."

"Perhaps it is meant that you will meet this king. Where do you see him? Is he happy?"  She stops and blinks. "Die? You see him die?" She looks very concerned all of a sudden.

"No, he is not happy; he is very sad and talks to himself, and there were black flowers...and a circle and then they.....so much blood...." Her voice trails off, and she puts her hands to her face and sobs.

Echuir thinks of the uncle she has never met, remembering all she has heard of him. Then realizes that Jillian is weeping, and what she has just said. 

"So much killing...why would you elves do that? I tried to stop the elves from going to those flowers--they are evil--I can feel it, why not them?"  Rooted in the horrors of her dream. Jillian continues. "The elves would not listen. They could not hear me. Then you killed them, and then the king was just like them, and you killed him too. I tried to stop the yellow haired woman from killing the king, but I could not."

"I? But I am not yellow-haired. You saw me, Echuir, in your dream?"

Jillian blinks and seems to come out of her own vision. "When I say you, I mean the elves. Why must you elves kill?  Not you, my Lady--the elves that were there. In my dream."

"But we don't kill...not unless there is a great threat. I cannot answer this, Jillian. But I feel strongly that I must now find King Olwe. Would you and your husband consider joining me as I sail to Alqualonde, the Swan Haven?"

Jillian sighs. "My husband has been missing, and I was searching for him when you came. I do not know where he is."

"If my kinsman is in danger, perhaps that is why I am here...I was supposed to meet you and hear this from you."  She realizes what Jillian said. "Oh, no!" Jillian Newey shakes her head to clear it again.

"Shall I help you look?  I get a sense darkness."

"He went in search of a being, as I have failed to keep the evil from this land. I have not seen him and there is no one here to help. No, you need to go save your king--and if you can send someone back to help me? I do not know why I am asking help from elves, but I cannot do this on my own."

Echuir extends her senses, listens, smells, peers around. "I can't quite get it...just a feeling that he is here on this island." Echuir frowns. "I will gladly help you look, Jillian. What is his name?"

 "If he is still here, I do not know, for he went in search of a ....a...." she hesitates....."a spider the size of a small dragon."

"Yikes!"

Jillian hears the dragon behind her, and  rolls her eyes. Turning to the dragon, she addresses it. "Sivith, what are you doing here?"

The dragon answered. "Hello, Jillian. I saw the snow..... and.... I just had to roll in it." Jillian notices Echuir eyeing the small white dragon warily. "Do not fear: he will not hurt you. This is Sivith."

"Oh, Greetings, Sir Dragon."

Sivith regards the elf with a silver eye. "Greetings."

Jillian giggles at the formalities. 

"Lord Sivith, I am Echuir."

Sivith chuckles. "Well met, Echuir, and please, it is just Sivith."

"Have you found Hondo yet, Sivith?" Jillian asks. Sivith lowers his head. "I have not...."

Jillian explains to Echuir. "This dragon is the only one I have found in the land to help me search."

"Well met, indeed."

"You need to go to your King, Echuir, but please if you can, send help. I will keep looking for my beloved."

Sivith nods. "He is here, I am sure of that, and we will find him, Sister."

"Then he is still alive. I do not feel he has left me."

"All right, Jillian, I will send help gladly, but let me leave you some Elven medicines for Hondo, if he is hurt, and to help you sleep, if you trust me."

Jillian looks to this elf and nods. "There is nothing I have not felt I cannot trust here. I will take this."

Echuir hands the lady several bright bottles of potions. "The green heals, and the purple will let you sleep without dreams."

"May I send Sivith back with you to bring me word if I can expect some help?" She takes the bottles and nods a thank you.

Sivith speaks. "I shall go, if that is all right with you, my Lady."

Jillian smiles at the elf. "I do trust you, and that is very odd for me to do so."

Echuir smiles at the young dragon. "Of course. If you don't mind a boat trip...or a long flight."

"Of course not, shall I take a smaller form?"

Echuir watches with wonder as the dragon shimmers and suddenly there is a young man dressed all in white, with silvery wings. Jillian Newey walks to Echuir and places her arms around her to feel of her warmth, that she has lost.  Echuir smiles. "My ship is not large, but I think you will fit."

Sivith grins. "I will fit, I think."  He jumps up high into the air, testing his wings.  Sivith lands down, brushing the snow off. "So, where is this ship of yours?"

"Thank you for coming...... sister." Jillian humbly bows her head.

Echuir is stunned by Jillian's calling her sister and smiles. 'Take heart, Jillian, my new friend, and be brave. I will find Alqualonde and send help."  Echuir embraces the fae-elf and holds her close.

"Thank you." A tear slips down Jillian's cheek.  "Come back soon, Brother Sivith."

Sivith opens his arms.  "Come here, Sister."

Jillian chokes out,  "Merry Part."  Sivith hugs her. "It will be all right. We shall find him, and I shall return as soon as I can."  Jillian smiles.

Echuir points behind her toward the water. "The White Sparrow is in the harbor. Tied up at the dock."

Sivith nods."Very well. Shall we go then, Echuir?"

Jillian gives a heartfelt, "Merry Part, new found Kin."

"I take my leave of you and give you a blessing of safety. Merry part, my dear."

The dragon and the elf walk to the dock and climb aboard the small white elven ship with its mithril keel and wing-like white sails. Echuir expertly casts off, takes the rudder as the sails fill with breeze, and they sail away.


 > Next Tearmann      > Next Jillian