This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

December 5, 2010

Elwing Meets Princess Fur of Vana

< Previous      
Cinnamon Raymaker

The Lady Elwing felt much better having dried her shredded clothing and tidied her mussed hair. She got to her feet and stretched the kinks from her weary muscles. Looking again towards the treetops, she started to walk leisurely towards the tree houses she had seen. She was slightly startled when she saw a beautiful slender creature with wings approaching her from the trees.

"Greetings!" called the lovely fae.

"Greetings, lady of this land. Please excuse my dishevelled appearance. I am but recently landed here," smiled Elwing.

" I am Princess Fur of Vana. We are a tribal society. Appearance does not matter here, lady." replied the beautiful fae.

"Well met, Princess Fur!  I am Elwing the White, Princess of Doriath."

"Well met, indeed," murmured Princess Fur.

"You have a lovely island here, Princess Fur!" remarked the Lady Elwing.

The fae princess blushed. " Thank you, Princess." She smiled. "I am the Guardian of the Woods and the Chieftain of the Tribe of Vana Luna."

The Lady Elwing bowed her head towards the fae princess and smiled. "It is a great pleasure to meet you my lady."

"And I am likewise pleased to make your acquaintance, my lady," replied Princess Fur.

"Indeed, I have been wondering if someone inhabited this isle, and my predictions have been confirmed. I do hope you do not mind me taking sustenance as I was very hungry after my recent meeting with an invisible foe," explained the Lady Elwing.

"Nay, princess, ...the land is abundant. I need not to gather its fruits for just my Tribe. You must make yourself comfortable while you are here," remarked the fae princess.

Elwing the White sat and shook her head, and the fae princess paled a little, as she crouched beside her. Princess Fur found immediate comfort in the other's orbs.  The lady Elwing took some time to gather herself.

Her voice registering concern for the elven maiden, Princess Fur asked, "What ails you, sweet one?" The Lady Elwing looked across at the new being in front of her.  "Take your time, Lady Elwing."

Slowly and deliberately, Elwing the White turned to the fae Princess, "Princess, there are strange happenings in my known world," she began.

Princess Fur stayed calm as she watched the Elf, then asked, "Pray, what world is that?"

"I know not where to start, Princess Fur," Elwing replied.

"In this land, we hear tidings - darkling, cruel..." began the fae princess.

Elwing looked on and listened with interest. "Please go on?"

"In the next Realm, its Empress, once a kind friend of mine, spoke with the voice of a Dark Lord."  Elwing stared in alarm at her new friend on hearing this news.  Princess Fur continued "... she seemed not to know!" The fae princess' orbs welled with soft tears.

"Princess, it ails me to tell you that there have been lots of strange things happening," whispered Elwing.

" What....hmmm...tell me of your lands?" queried Princess Fur.

"Well, I have twice been led astray. Firstly, from trying to meet my beloved in the vessel Vingilot and secondly from trying to find out news of my uncle who was in the realm of his cousin Queen Comet. Both times I took to the skies and was battered about and dropped from the skies."

Princess Fur stared wide-eyed at the elf. "Comet is my ally. What be your uncle's name?" asked the fae princess.

"My Uncle is King Olwe of the Teleri," replied the Lady Elwing.

Pausing for a moment, Princess Fur looked around her and then continued. "Vingilot?" queried Princess Fur. Elwing nodded her affirmation. "I know the name of that vessel from the deepest myth!"

"Aye, Princess," replied Elwing. "My husband Earendil sails Vingilot across the skies carrying the morning star."

"Earendil? Aye," replied Princess Fur. "He, I have heard of, too."

Elwing nods sadly, "I fear Vingilot has disappeared and with it the hope of elvenkind."

"Then is not your beloved...hmm?" Princess Fur stop short of asking the question on her lips. Elwing the White looked at her new friend, shook her head, and the tears began to flow yet again.  Princess Elwing held her head in her hands.

"Oh sweet one!" crooned Princess Fur, holding Elwing's hand. "I wilt not say...do not cry, for cry you must, to heal a sad heart."  Elwing sobbed and nodded her head.  Princess Fur continued, "Then I know why Dark seem to fall, all about! The Even Star is our hope, of a higher life lived."

Princess Elwing nodded and added,  "Is dark, then light, nothing in between! I hold on to hope that my beloved is safe."

Princess Fur mused, "Many howsoever, live in the half shadow — of greed, power, and petty lusts. My Goddess is Luna, the loving moon herself. Yet she Honours and pines for her sister, Venus as some call her."

"Truly my friend, I would learn more of your land. I can't leave here for the present.  Every  time I try to do something my quest is thwarted," explained Princess Elwing.

"Well, there are the Fae, and Woodlings. We would offer you succour here. we are kindly and good......" smiled Princess Fur.

Elwing the White wiped her eyes, "You are most gracious princess!"

"... if wild!" giggled the fae princess. " Some of my sissys— um...sister Fae - are very wild and naughty."  Hearing this, the mirth bubbled over easing Elwing's heart and she laughed with her new friend.

" I love the forests," said Elwing, "Doriath was my home."

"As do we, Princess," replied the fae.

As she continued to smile, Elwing remarked, " I have borne two sons: I know childlike and naughty!" After thinking a short while Elwing decided that she would open up a little more of her life to this new and interesting friend whose very presence seemed to soothe her aching heart. "There are things about me that you don't know, like I have the power of shapeshifting and can fly in a swanlike form, something the Lord Ulmo gave me when I rescued the silmaril which is taken across the sky in Vingilot by my beloved. My great grandmother was a Maia;  therefore in my lineage, I have the traits, which may be helpful."

Princess Fur looked with wide eyes at Elwing. " Ah..a Silmaril? Oh my!  It contains some light of the two trees? Is that not the myth?" she queried.

"Nay, " replied Elwing, "tis no myth."

"No?" asked Princess Fur, "tis Truth?

"It is Truth," replied Elwing.

"Oh my!" gasped Princess Fur.

"It was passed on to me from my great great grandfather and my uncle."

"Then is it any wonder you were drawn to a land of eternal moon light, Princess Elwing. You see Luna has something of that First Light."

"Ahh!" whispered Elwing.

"Well, abide in Vana as long as you wish, with loving folk - though beware the Mountain top and dark folk dwell there.... Xaoc, " explained Princess Fur.

Elwing the White shook her head. "How could anything dark live in such a wonderful place?"

"I did wonder that myself," continued the fae princess. "I sing to them, the woods ... there was a clinging darkness here, yet which such powers of Dissonance and Harmony i possess, it was drawn away. Yet it lingers up there and a clan of chaotic souls. An Orcess leads them."

The Lady Elwing frowned, "An Orcess? What is an orc?"

"Orcs, dragons, goblins. An orc is like a humanoid with green skin. At this time she is with child, so is less of a Threat. Howsoever, I doubt not she be capable of Evil," explained Princess Fur.

Elwing murmured, "Hmm I need to know more about this Orc. Is there a reason for her Evil, Princess?"

"Her name is Mother Monster," began the fae princess. "They seem to have violence breed within them as a race - like to the Drow. She has not attacked my Tribe yet."

Elwing again raised an eyebrow. "The drow? These are creatures I have not come across."

"They are a Race of Fallen Elves," explained the fae princess.  Elwing the White's heart turned icy cold as she shuddered at Princess Fur's words.  "They fell to the Abyss, to a dark of spiders, and their god is Lloth," she continued.

Elwing again found herself shaking her head. "This is so much to think about, Princess. Is it safe everywhere else here on this isle?"

"No," replied the Princess, "do not venture to high up the Skylets."

Elwing looked at her new friend and replied, " I have not seen the skylets - what are they?"

"They are floating islands. A mythic force holds them in the air. They are glorious, indeed. Remember to stay clear of the last one before the mountain reaches," warned Princess Fur.

"Ah - I have not seen them as yet," remarked Elwing. " I have seen the tree houses and the beach. Ah, I must explore further."

"There is this one here...my Tribe's tree fort, and there is my tree house upon the fae skylet, a safe place to stay. Come, I will show you a way to get there. One can fly there but there is another way!"

" Why,thank you, Princess!" exclaimed Elwing. "I fear I will have to climb at the moment as I am too weak from the last attack."

"Ahh, yes!" replied Princess Fur. "Please climb this rope. 'tis enchanted to make make the climb easy."

The Lady Elwing nodded her thanks and climbed the rope, carefully following her new friend. She felt the wood beneath her feet when she reached the top of the magical rope, firm and solid as though it had grown into this structure rather than having been built.

"Tribe's meeting place," remarked Princess Fur.

"This is so woody and earthy, Princess, it is lovely!" replied Elwing.

"Now we must go up, touch the red ruby!" said Princess Fur.

"Welcome to the Fae Skylet," announced Princess Fur, the joy in her home easy to perceive in her amicable tones.

Elwing the White breathed deeply. "This is lovely, so airy and beautiful!" she said.

Princess Fur replied, "Yesssss, I nearly cry when I am here. Mother Luna has been kind:  tis the Woodlings sacred place! We dance under Moon here!"

" I can imagine you would feel great ties with this place Princess. I am privileged to be here and to have met you!" said Elwing, smiling at her friend.

"I feel likewise honoured," replied the fae princess.

"We dance in Menegroth too," continued Elwing, "but mostly with the court."  Again Elwing shook her head and frowned. "Hmm that was so long ago."

"That name echoes in my mind.  Stories my Mother told me, of Ages past," remarked the fae princess.

"Please forgive me, Princess, the woods bring back memories, and I was born at night. This place in its own way reminds me of these things," Elwing said.

"Well, I must go to rest!" remarked the fae princess. "The Grass here is a soft as a blanket, and there is the fire to give you comfort!"

"Indeed, Princess! Sleep well and dream deeply of good things - as I know you must! Thank you for sharing a secret place for safety with me," replied Elwing.

"I don't know why, but I feel to bow to you, though i am Fae Royalty" said Princess Fur.

"We are sisters in that, my dear," replied Elwing, as she bowed to her friend in thanks.

"Elwing, may you sleep well!"

"Thank you, Princess Fur. We will speak again soon," Elwing replied.

"Moon's Light!" replied the fae as she shimmered away into the evening.

Elwing smiled her goodbye to the fae princess and looked aorund her at the beautiful natural fae tree fort. She gazed across and found another tree stump near a fire and sat down to further contemplate her situation.