This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

September 19, 2010

Elwing - Part 2

< Prev Elwing      < Previous Irmo    
September 19, 2010

Down, down, ever downward she fell - spiraling into unconsciousness. Threads of the past wove their way through her mind.   Days of her youth when she danced around the fountain in her home of the Thousand Caves.  The anger and great anguish at the deaths of her beloved family.  The joy she beheld in the love of her husband and the pride generated by the birth of her two sons. And most of all, the peace she had come to know within her days in Valinor. All of these scenes flashed through her mind like snowflakes falling onto the ground, disappearing once they had impacted. 'Til there was only black - an inky deathly blackness like she had never seen before.

Stirring slightly, she opened her eyes to find herself on a lonely beach, the pounding of the waves echoing through her mind. Then suddenly, the blackness returned.  Her mind was clouded by a thick mist, and as the mists parted, Irmo, Lord of Deams appeared before Elwing. He tried to comfort her mind. He saw the visions of times past.

Irmo  speaks, asking what troubles her now.  Elwing is a little startled and searches her thoughts as to what she is really looking for then it comes to her mind that she has been stopped from reaching Vingilot by some unseen dark force and that perhaps the Lord Irmo may have an insight into what is happening throughout this world. The threads of her family - where could she pick them up?   Lord Elu surrounded by the magic of the Lady Melian in the halls of Menegroth. The magic keeping out any would be invaders by hiding all from sight.

The Lord Irmo again speaks telling Elwing there have been many disturbances in the dream realm, rifts appearing, and chaos erupting. "I have seen these rifts influence their dreams, the dreams of your loving uncle Olwe."

"My uncle... I have not seen ere long. Do you know where he rests my Lord?"

"His body rests within the world, but his mind wanders often away from it, I have no control over these dreams. They rest all visions and feelings of joy and peace from is mind."

"He is greatly troubled then! Perhaps by this same force as has brought me to this land! Please - where am I - can you tell me my Lord?"

"This new evil is very malevolent to the Children of Illuvatar, especially the Teleri. It could be this evil brought you here. You now rest upon the beaches not far from Alqualonde, the Swanhaven, the realm of your Uncle."

Elwing bows and thanks the Lord Irmo for his understanding of her need to know where in the physical plane she finds herself and turns her attention back to the plight of her uncle.  "It would seem Lord Ulmo has saved me from death yet again - perhaps for some deep purpose. Tell me my Lord - do you think there may be something I can do to aid my uncle? "

"Your uncle is not in his realm, and in fact the city is empty of the Teleri. Even his guard is nowhere to be found. However your Uncle sailed to the realm of his cousin, Queen Comet. With him went the loyal Nole the sailor and his swordmaiden Elenwe."

"So I am alone in this realm - perhaps I should investigate and await my uncle's return, or perhaps I should risk flight yet again - though 'twas flight which caused me to arrive here in the first instance - some force did not want me to reach the shining Vingilot - the bright hope of morning."

"Perhaps, child of the firstborn, but I fear there is great evil in that land, for your uncle lost his mind, and now even his body has disappeared."

"Then some dark evil is at work here - I wonder if anyone can overcome it?"

" I could not enter the dreams of the Teleri Lord, but from his loyal sailor, Nole, I saw visions of the new evil, a foul plant rumoured to cause distruction to our world. Lord Olwe was seeking to return to Alqualonde, as was his plan, but I do not know when or if that will occur. "

"So my lord, what advice would the Lord of Visions give this wretched castaway? Stay or go?"

"The danger in Sylvhara is great, and you are weak. If you go, you may be perhaps more susceptible to the new evil in your current state. I do not know which route would be best, but you need to rest."

"Indeed you are right my lord - perhaps it would be prudent to rest."

"Set your mind free of darkness, and remember all things, however dark, are more hopeful in the light."

Elwing nods and a faint smile reaches across her pale face as she stirs.  Irmo pulls out of Elwing's dream, letting her mind at ease.

> Next Elwing