This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

July 4, 2011

Alqualondë's Family

< Previous    

Shawn Daysleeper and Carleen Luckstone

The Teleri sailor had finished cooking dinner for his lord and the others of Alqualonde. He decided he would talk to his dear friend Elenwe. Perhaps she could help him bring the food into the King's feast hall. He goes up the stairs, occasionally thinking about the dragon now here, somewhere, and eventually reached Elenwe's room. He knocks on the door.

Elenwe turns from the mirror where she was adjusting her gown, and calls, "Come in." when she hears the knock at the door.

Nole enters Elenwe's room. Her gown is very stunning, and he smiles. "You are looking beautiful this evening."

Elenwe blushes and stammers, "Thank you, dear friend. I'm very much looking forward to this evening with our king. I had been saving this gown for a special occasion. I'm glad you like it." She turns once more to arrange her hair in the mirror. "We will need some rest and relaxation after the day's events, won't we?"

"Yes" he says, smiling. "I don't think a dragon has ever found its way to Alqualonde before. I admit I was frightened. I am glad to still have myself so that I feel tired and need to rest!" he says, laughing a little.

The aromas of the feast waft in through the open door. "Oh, you were preparing the food for this eve," she says. "I would have been glad to help with cooking. I've improved much in a short time." She laughs, remembering the first venture into the kitchen and the noodle soup she prepared for King Olwe. "And now you are weary. Please, let me help you serve."

Nole smiles as he waits for Elenwe to follow him. "I would appreciate your assistance. I admit I am weary after the day's events. But I would like to ask you about dragons. Have you met one before today?"

"Never before!" Elenwe exclaims. "I have seen many things through my time of wandering, but never anything like a dragon. I was so relieved to know that the dragon meant no harm. I dreaded having to slay it, not even really knowing what a dragon is." Elenwe follows Nole into the kitchen and begins gathering plates and cutlery for the feast. "Perhaps, when the dragon is healed," she begins tentatively,"the dragon may abide here for a time. We...might even find a friend in the dragon." Elenwe looks to Nole as she finishes, watching for his response to the thought of befriending a dragon.

Nole smiles at the thought of befriending a dragon. "That would be amazing. And a very strong ally. We have met lots of strangers here since... since our city was moved." He remembers his still missing friends and loved ones and frowns slightly. He notices the mess in the pot that was characteristically Estelin's. "Yes, we have met those two musicians, who seem to have trouble cooking, and also the dwarf Aztryd. We are becoming quite the family here."

Following Nole's gaze, Elenwe laughs. "They do indeed have troubles cooking....and cleaning up." I guess I have met so many types that it does not seem so unusual. But we seem to be an odd assortment, and yet we are all working well together.

"Yes, no matter what happens, we need to hold together." He smiles as he starts gathering the food onto trays. "All of you have become my family now, since the day the world, well my world, changed."

Nole has always avoided talking directly about his family. She can tell that it is obviously a painful subject. "In that we are alike, my friend, having to create a new family. You have all become important to me. It would be truly marvelous if the dragon became part of this family." She leads the way into the dining hall to begin laying the table.

Nole nods at Elenwe's words. "We are a family. But I am going to make sure Estelin learns how to clean up his cooking." He grins a little. He picks up the tray of food and takes it into the dining hall.

Elenwe places the plates and cutlery about the table, making sure all is straight just as her caretaker had taught her so many years ago. "I so enjoy being able to sit at table with our King, now that he has recovered his health and strength. He always favors us with such interesting stories." She makes final adjustments and turns to Nole as he places the food down."I think all is ready," she says. "Shall we call the rest of the family?"

"Yes, let's." he smiles.

> Next