This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

July 11, 2011

Nienna Reports to Manwë

< Previous    

Lihan Taifun and Shawn Daysleeper

Free of her "Apakenwë"  body, Nienna flies through the spirit realm, back to the Blessed Lands of the West, seeking their Lord, Manwë, the High King of all Arda.  Arriving at his palace on the highest peak of the highest mountain, Mt. Taniquetil, she makes herself known to the attending Maiar, even as she reforms a body, one more in her habitual appearance.  "Tell the Lord of the West that I have most urgent news from the mortal world," she instructs the Maiar.

Manwe, Breath of Arda and Lord of The West hears from the Maiar that Nienna has returned from the mortal world. He instructs the Maiar to allow her to pass into his throne room.

"My King,"she says, floating gracefully into the chamber.  "I have returned from the city of the Teleri, where alarming events have occurred."

Manwe looks up at the Vala before him. "Indeed, what has happened to Olwe's people? Are they safe?"

"When I left, yes.  But a dragon has appeared -- one of those who rejected the Dark One -- an grieviously injured.  What injured it we do not yet know, nor what caused it to fly to Alqualonde.  My brother Irmo fears that it is fleeing some very powerful creature, something powerful enough to damage a dragon, and that this pursuer might follow it to the city.  We both agree that the city could not withstand an attack by a creature like that.  In fact, it is only safe from the dragon because of the dragon's good will, not any strength of the city."

Manwe thinks for a moment. "A dragon in Alqualonde would serve as a strong ally, should it survive it's injuries. I trust the Teleri are caring for it's wounds? The dragon did not show any hostility to Olwe or any o the Teleri?"

"No hostility at all.  It seemed rather more concerned about what the Teleri would do to it.  And the Teleri are tending its wounds, as best they can.  It is not easy to set broken bones of that size."

"Broken bones?  I am sure Olwe is caring for it as best he can. He is a selfless regent. The dragon made no reference to the nature of his pursuer?"

"The dragon said only that he was searching for help.  He was too hurt and exhausted to tell all his story, so I do not yet know what the nature of his trouble is."

Manwe nods his head. "I will send a wind to investigate this further. From that additional information I should be able to give a suggestion as to how we should proceed. I will contact you when I have reached a resolution."

"Yes, of course."

Manwe looks up, appreciatively. "Your vigilance in Olwe's lands are much appreciated, both yours and your brother's. Through you, we have the earliest warning of another attack on the Children." He bows his head again in thought. "Is there anything else you wish to discuss with me?"

Nienna gratefully catches Manwe's look of approval.  The situation had seemed so dire, back in the mortal lands.  "Thank you, my King.  I will be making a brief stop at Mandos before I return, but I will be back in Alqualonde in a few days.  If there is any new information, I will be sure to tell you."

Manwe looks up and smiles. "Thank you Lady Nienna, and please pass my regards to your brothers, Namo and Irmo. Eru bless you all."

"I will do so."  Taking that as a dismissal, she retires from Manwe's chamber, eager to finish her business at Mandos, and return to the mortal realm.

He watches Nienna depart his throne room. Her arrival and report of the mortal world and Olwe's realm relieved his mind of the recent situation. But then, he realises Eonwe was not there to attend to those in his presence. Once again, he feels emptiness and a deep ache in his heart.

> Next Nienna     > Next Manwë