This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

November 27, 2010

Fëamahtar Discovers a Surprising Power

 > Previous Dalish        > Previous Fëamahtar       

After meeting Tamlin in the forest when her vessel made landfall in Dalish lands, Feamahtar agrees to travel with the Dalish Keeper to his village as part of her quest. Many days of travel brings Feamahtar and Tamlin to the forested land near the Dalish dwellings.

"My village is right over this hill, Feamahtar," says Tamlin. As the pair begins to climb the last hill, Tamlin lifts his head and, sensing something is amiss, says, "Wait, what is that smell? Is it smoke? It shouldnt be smoke: we rarely have fires." A look of grave concern clouds his face.

Feamahtar catches the grim look as, at the same time, an acrid, unpleasant scent fills her nostrils. "There is something wrong here, Tamlin. I am feeling most uncomfortable," she says.

"As do I," says Tamlin, "We must make haste." He walks faster. Feamahtar picks up her pace, saying, "We had best hurry. There is trouble, I am sure."

Trying to ignore the fear rising rapidly in his heart, Tamlin beings to run toward the Dalish village. As he goes, he sees a black plume rising skyward. Tamlin realizes with dread that it is coming from the Dalish village. He dashes down the tree-lined path, Feamahtar scrambling to keep up with him.

A short distance from the village, Tamlin spies something on the path leading from the Dalish dwellings. As he nears, he sees that it is a body crumpled on the path. Stopping short, he cries, "Oh my, what in the four winds could have caused this?"

Feamahtar sees the smoke and, standing still in shock, stares ahead to where Tamlin is looking at the body in the path. Coming closer, Tamlin notices the long auburn hair of the figure. His Lady, Taila, has auburn locks. He also catches a glimpse of tartan cloth. Cold dread clutches hard at his heart. That is the cloth of the skirt the queen wears.

Trying to control the panic, he cries, "Is that? No! It can't be my queen!"

Closing the distance, he drops to his knees beside the still form. Feamahtar runs to the prone figure and leans down to look at her. "She is alive. I can feel breath. It is faint, but there." Looking up at Tamlin, she asks, "Who is this?"

"This is Taila, my queen. She is still breathing, but we must act quickly before it is too late. Please, I don't have time to explain. Give me your hand, Feamahter."

Feamahter murmurs, "Yes, there is something. Yes," and she touches his hand. As she places her other hand on Taila's back, an odd glow eminates from the point of contact. She is shocked, but does not remove her hand from the still figure.

"Tamlin," she implores, "What is happening?"

"I am unlocking a healing ability you have and enhancing it with my own powers," Tamlin replies. He strokes Taila's shoulder, concern etched in his face, and Taila stirs a little.

Feamahtar gasps with surprise and looks to Tamlin. "She lives, Tamlin! I know not what we did, but she lives."

Taila coughs and groans, but does not move. Tamlin gently turns Taila over and lifts her head, supporting it with his arms. Taila droops in his embrace. Her eyelids flutter briefly, and then close again. Feamahter moves closer to help support them. Tamlin brushes the disheveled hair from Taila's face.

Feeling the touch causes Taila's eyes to open again. "Who? What?" she whispers hoarsely.

"My queen, who or what did this to you?" Tamlin asks anxiously.

Taila looks up briefly before closing her eyes again. "I-I know not what is happening, and I know not where I am."

"Oh dear," Tamlin says, looking about him. An apple tree stands just off the path, and he reaches out to snatch an apple from a pail at the foot of the tree. "Eat this," he says, holding it to her mouth.

Taila tries but can barely open her dirt-encrusted mouth. "I canna," she croaks.

Feamahtar frowns. "She needs drink, Talmin. Is there some I can fetch?"

"There is a stream we passed right down that hill there. Please hurry. Time is of the essence."

Feamahtar stands. "I will go. Have you a vessel?"

Tamlin Nerea grabs the pail of apples, empties it and flings it to Feamahtar.  "Yes, that will do well," she cries, whirls and runs down the hill toward the stream. Taila barely hears the exchange between the two. She tries to cast about in her mind for her last memory, but can remember nothing. She is too worn to think straight, and sinks back into unconsciousness. Tamlin comforts his queen as best he can while Feamahtar fetches water. He brushes leaves from her tangled air and tries to wipe the dirt from her caked lips.

Dipping the pail into the water, Feamahtar fills it and hurrys back up the hill. Dropping to her knees she says, "Here Tamlin." Tearing some cloth from her skirt, she dips it into the water and uses it to wipe Taila's face gently.

Saying, "Here, let me," Tamlin lets some water drop onto her lips. Taila's eyes open and she looks up into Tamlin's face, seeing the concern.

"My queen, it is I, Tamlin. Drink this." He drops more water onto her lips.

Taila looks confused. "But-but, you are far away, are you not?" she whispers as she tries to drink.

"Shhhh, I am right here with you," Tamlin whispers as he tries to open his queen's eyes.

Taila coughs and tries to sit, then sinks back, crying out in pain. Tamlin gently picks her up, cradling his arms around her. "All is ok. I am here," he whispers.  "Feamahter, please help me." Quickly Feamahter moves to steady him.

"Tamlin, love, I'm so glad you are here." As Taila stands, a searing pain shoots through her leg. Her body feels as if she has been beaten severely. She winces, and leans on Tamlin and Feamahter as she hobbles down the path.

"Taila, this is the prodigy we heard about," Tamlin says, indicating Feamahter. "She will help me heal you."

"I welcome you to our village, good lady. I am most grateful to you for your aid," Taila says quietly.

Feamahter continues to assist Taila as she replies, "Ahh, dear lady, I am grateful you are alive, and will do what I can to help you."

"Aye, thank you. Grateful, as am I. I have nae idea how I ended up here. My memory is a dark void."

Nodding, Feamahtar gazes ahead at the growing plume of smoke issuing from the village. "There has been evil here, that is certain."

"My love,  it is ok. Your memory may return," Tamlin assures the Dalish queen. "Until then, we need to heal you."

"Aye," Taila murmers. "Perhaps, in time, I shall recall what befell me."

"Perhaps, but now you must rest, my lady," says Feamahtar.

Tamlin carefully guides Taila along the path with Feamahtar. "I am glad I came when I did, and with help. Nonetheless, you are gravely injured, my love." Looking across at Feamahtar, he asks, "Feamahtar, will you help me heal my dear queen Taila?"

Feamahtar nods affirmatively. "I know not what I am doing, Tamlin, but if you will give me your help and instruction, I will do what I can."

As the group reaches the village's outskirts, Taila's gaze is drawn to the smoke. With a strangled cry, she stumbles but is caught by Feamahtar and Tamlin.

"Oh!" Taila cries. "Our home! Our people! All is destroyed!"

> Next Dalish         > Next Fëamahtar