This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

February 20, 2011

A Gathering of Elves

< Previous Echuir and Elwing     < Previous Nimros     < Previous Morning Star    

Harumi Oanomochi/Echuir of Ithildor
Cinnamon Raymaker
and AelKennyr Rhiano

As she moves closer to the ship, Elwing notices the bird depicted on the sail -  a White Sparrow. Her heart lifts immediately in the recognition that yet another white bird had flown across the sea into which she had plummeted. "Is this a sign from the Valar?" she wonders. The Valar do have mysterious ways of working, something she has learned from prior experience. The noise from the sea birds is like music to her ears as she reaches the side of the ship and stands carefully to peer over the side. Finding nothing there, she turns and sees a row boat heading for the shore. She dives quickly back into the water, swimming as fast as she can until she meets up with the boat. Diving below as the boat turns sharply, she makes her way to the shore, walking on the sand and squeezing out her skirt. She watches as a silver haired elven lady jumps to the beach and makes her way towards her on the sand.

" Oh, my lady forgive me for coming so close to you while you swam. I barely saw you in time to move my oars."

Elwing looks to the traveller and smiles. "Tis nothing," she answers.

" I'm pleased to find an elf here. What is this land?" asks the stranger. " I have anchored my ship and come ashore for I have felt this is a part of my journey."

Elwing smiles and nods. "Indeed, my lady, I am of Sindar descent. I am Elwing, Priness of Doriath, stranded here on this Isle while trying to make my way to visit my uncle, King Olwe."

Echuir blinks. " I too am Sindar. My father was harper to the court at Doriath. I am Echuir of Ithildor, and I seek my great uncle, King Olwe. How fortuitious this meeting is!"

 "A star shines on the hour of our meeting." Elwing smiles at Echuir.

" Mae govannen, melon Elwing (Well met friend Elwing). Surely Manwe led me to you, Princess Elwing, for I asked his help."

 "Indeed my lady, the Valar do have mysterious ways of carrying out their wishes, as I have learned from previous experience," replies Elwing.

" Well, to be sure if we are kinswomen."

Elwing continues. "Forgive my rudeness, Lady Echuir, please come and refresh yourself. There are many hidden delights and dangers on this mysterious Isle."

Echuir flushes with excitement at this good fortune, and takes in the lady, her cousin." And what is the name of this land, Cousin? Oh...thank you. Lead on and I'll follow."

Elwing walks up the path towards the small stone inn.  "Please sit and eat," she offers and smiles.

"Oh my...a wayfarer's rest. Thank you." replies Echuir.

"Has your journey been onerous Lady Echuir?"

" It has been long...and for a time I was becalmed...and so close to land. It was quite frustrating."

Elwing nods. "There is something at work here methinks - for two of us to be brought to the very same Isle under such onerous conditions."

Echuir helps herself to the warm rolls, tearing one apart carefully and placing a fried egg in the middle, then eating slowly, savoring the flavor of food not made for sea voyages. Elwing watches with satisfaction as her new companion partakes of the food provided by the inhabitants of Vana. Echuir sips some of the excellent apple mead to wash down a mouthful. "I do believe you are correct. You know the way to Alqualonde? If you have no other transport, I'm happy to offer Faen Tuillin, my ship, the White Sparrow."

"You need directions to Alqualonde my Lady? Then you must be aware of the disappearance of the morning star," says Elwing. "It seems the news is beginning to spread."

 "Aye...that was another reason that it was so difficult to find Alqualonde...but my path has brought me here and to you, so the Heavens have heard my pleas."

 "Let us hope for both our sakes we will have safe passage to Alqualonde. Are you sure that is where my uncle King Olwe is to be found? I have heard conflicting stories. Being here for so long I have been unable to keep up with the news."

Echuir takes in her surroundings, impressed with the feel of the land...a peaceful place surely. "Why do you think the morning star has disappeared my Lady Elwing?"

 "Well, my lady, I was flying to meet my beloved on Vingilot, which as you recall carries the morning star."

"Oh no, your beloved was on it? That would be who?"

 "My beloved is Earendil, he who navigates Vingilot across the heavens. So, I have lost track of a husband and the world has lost track of the morning star," she whispers.

Echuir looks stunned. "Earendil. Oh. I am so sorry for your loss, dear lady! I had a dream of a blue palace made of pearls and mother of pearl, of swans and a vale of waterfalls, and Olwe, whom I have never met, in pain, bedeviled by evil. I had the dream twice. My husband, Arafel, King of Ithildor, is away for a long period of time on business of state, and with my children grown, I felt the urge to take my leave of Ithildor and seek out my great uncle."

"Indeed, Lady Echuir, I have heard also that my uncle is in peril. I have been marooned here trying to solve the problem of travelling to his side. Perhaps the Valar sent you for that reason," replies Elwing.

 "Aye, it must be so. The Vala of Visions may have sent the dreams and nudged me to travel hence."

Elwing nods and smiles in agreement then reaches out for bread and an egg as she is starting to feel pangs of hunger stirring in her stomach.

Unknow to them both, the company of two elves, concerned with reaching the fabled Swanhaven was to soon gain a third member.

It has taken the day to urge the tiny, leaky makeshift boat to the shoreline. Trying with all the skill at his command, the young Teleri is able to make landfall near the spot at which he sighted the elven ship, but still it requires him to leave his craft beached and trek at a good pace up along the coastline. Now, to his left, the young Teleri fisherelf veers off into the greensward beside him and weaves quietly through the trees, stepping lightly with practiced care. He shifts the quiver and rough hewn box on his back, frowning as he does so, at the little sound of the wood clacking minute, yet loud somehow. On the breeze is the salt smell of the sea and of wood burning...and....Food! His jaw works as his mouth salivates at the thought of prepared food...his nostrils flare as he sniffs in the aroma eagerly, like a young pup to the hunt. As he does so, he catches the sounds of two female voices.....the words indistinguishable, but the sounds music to his elven ears..... he hears a voice.

Elwing answers. "It seems like an age, Lady Echuir, but is not so long." Elwing lifts the bread to her mouth and nibbles on the combined flavours to assuage her hunger, thinking back on her experiences in this strange land.

Nimros pauses, picking up the words, the language very close to his own, but not exact.  He leans a hand against the tree and cocks his head to better hear the word, frowning as he concentrates.

 "I must ask, my lady, have you met with many of our kin on your travels?"

 "Here and there, yes. From time to time I have met elven folk, and 'tis always a pleasure to make contact with our people."

Elwing nods. "As you know I spend much time away from contact with elven kind. I have come to appreciate more the habits of the sea birds," she chuckles with a twinkle lighting her eyes.

"Ah...the seabirds! They woke me this morning, and I knew I was near land. They are special spirits, always happy to greet a traveler, though I suspect they wonder if there is something tasty to be had," says a smiling Echuir.

Elwing chuckles. "Indeed, they seem to flock nearby whenever I approach the beach," she adds. Elwing nibbles the rest of her hastily made sandwich. "Mmmmmm, this food is always satisfying." She smiles.

"Well, I need to take on fresh water and a little fresh fruit, perhaps, if that is to be had. I can pay of course. And then we can leave for Alqualonde as soon as you wish. I think that haste is called for, don't you cousin?"

Nimros slowly eases up to  a very humble building before him, his steps slow and sure, taught by a patient father and well rehearsed.  Two ladies by the sound of the voices, and the pleasant tone assured him they were amicably talking....and the food was better than what he had been allowing himself...berries, fresh water,  edible but note very tasty greens, hard, barely ripe fruit.  With a large inhale, he approaches finally, and slowly, making his presence known.

 "Oh look! Another elf approaches!" exclaims Echuir, pointing  behind Elwing at the young elf standing by the fire pit.

Nimros sees before him two beautiful ladies, and a blush rises up through his face as he finds himself staring openly. Elwing turns around in the direction in which Lady Echuir is pointing to see the new arrival.  Echuir watches the elf and beckons toward him. "Greetings, good sir. Won't you join us, kinsman?"

Elwing sees the young elf and smiles kindly. "Yes, please come, eat and refresh yourself."

Nimros's eyes widen as both ladies turn their attention upon him and stands there for a moment, then he coughs softly, mimicking his king's shy cough, and shifting from one foot to the other.  In Telerin, he says, " Greetings, my ladies, I ask pardon you bother me...I bother you...you..." he stammers, bowing a little awkwardly.

Echuir whispers to Elwing. "Perhaps he's shy."  Elwing turns once again to the young elf, stands and walks towards him with a smile in his direction. "Please fear not, you are welcome to join us," she repeats in Sindarin.

Echuir also stands, hoping not to spook the young elf, who seems a tiny bit tongue-tied. "Join us, Sir. There is plenty to eat and we would like to hear news of where you have come from if you would be so kind." Elwing beckons the elf towards the table and sits down at her place once again, still smiling.

Nimros sees the lady rise and smile at him.  Flushing bright red, he sketches another bow, and tries again, speaking with great slowness, and in remembered Quenya.  "I...I am Teleri..My name is ..." pauses..."My name is Nimros.  I am of Alqualonde."

"Alqualonde? Oh my! Then you know King Olwe? Please...tell us what you know?" cries Echuir.  Elwing hears only a few words  ... Teleri, Nimros, Alqualonde, but cannot quite understand the rest of his speech. Elwing looks at Lady Echuir.
Echuir shrugs. "My great grandfather spokeQuenya."

Nimros sees the lady beckon, looks to the other, beautifully dressed lady and smiles, a little embarassed and shyly and slowly steps forward.  "Olwe?"  He hears the name, and a joy rushes over his face.  "My king?"  He runs foward to the ladies at the table, heedlessly.

 "My lady Elwing, this is Nimros and he is from Alqualonde," explains Echuir.

Elwing looks towards the young elf. "Well met, Nimros. Now please sit with us," she says, patting the bench.

Echuir says, "I am Echuir of Ithildor, and this is the Princess Elwing, niece of your king. I am also kin to him."

Nimros hears familar Telein fall from the Lady's lips, and speaks hurriedly, with great flapping of arms and a look of relief.  "Yes....I am Alqualonde from Nimros...Nimros from Alqualonde. I am so happy to see you.  You spoke something akin to Telerin, and I heard it...but before I saw your ship...Is that your ship? Who was the shipwright who built it, pray?  I have been so many lands and place, but no one knew my homeland tonuge."  He finally pauses to exhale and inhale and sits.

Elwing chuckles as she hears the words pour from the mouth of the young elf and feels relieved he has at last sat down at the table.  Echuir smiles at the handsome young elf, for he is obviously young, and hastily makes an egg sandwich and passes it to him, smiling. "Here...still warm."

Elwing looks to the Lady Echuir. "Please, my lady, would you be so kind as to translate for me? I would like to make our companion feel more at ease."

"Yes, of course. My pleasure, Lady Elwing."

Elwing smiles. "Thank you," she whispers.

"My ship, Faen Tuillin (White Sparrow), was designed by my husband, King Arafel, and myself. It was built by artisans in our small kingdom of Ithildor, though we all worked on it together," continues Echuir.

Nimros blushes but hastily takes the sandwich...at first eagerly devouring it, but then he looks from one lady to another...stops in mid-chew and slows down, listening. Echuir watches the elf eat, satisfied that he is feeling more at home. "Did you sail here in a ship as well, Lord Nimros?"

Elwing quietly rises from the bench and makes her way to the small keg of mead behind the lady Echuir, drawing a tankard for her cousin, one for herself, and another for the young elf. She returns to the table and places the tankards on the table, pushing one towards Nimros and smiling. She then sits at the bench and takes a draught of the mead.

Nimros swallows the rather large mouthful, and nods, trying to brush the crumbs of his meal off his jerkin to look a little less disheveled.  "I have a makeshift thing...nothing so fine as your craft.  I built it hurriedly and in great haste. " Nimros smiles up at the lady and flushing as he stares a bit overlong...he takes the tankard with a murmured thanks and drains it.

Echuir nods her thanks to Elwing and sips the mead. "I asked if he had also sailed here to these shores, and he said yes, and that he built his ship hurredly, my Lady Elwing."

Elwing nods. "I wonder was he in some sort of trouble? If he built it so hastily?" Elwing ponders a moment "Probably best not to ask," she retorts.

Echuir nods in agreement, but can't resist asking, "Was all well when you left Alqualonde, Nimros?"

Nimros looks to them both, and attempts to speak in a more common language he had picked up, the language the sea merchants used when trading.  "Do you know the common language of the children of men?"

Elwing smiles as she recalls the words she heard spoken by her beloved in the early days of their courtship. "Imagine hearing this tongue spoken after so long a time!" she exclaims.

Echuir smiles. "I know a little of this tongue...probably enough to get me into trouble!" she laughs.

Nimros smiles at the two Elven ladies.  "I am a fisherelf, or will be in Alqualonde.  As my father's father was." Nimros considers the question, sighing relief that he can speak to both of them now and be understood.  "My lady, the last thing I remember in Alqualonde was repairing fishing nets, working  beside my father. Then a strange light filled the sky, and I  awoke, far from home."

Elwing chuckles. Looking to the young elf she remarks, "A worthy profession for any Teleri! Know you what the light was or where it came from Nimros?"

Echuir blinks. "Really? How odd. And you have no memory of leaving Alqualonde? How long have you been away from your homeland?"

"Thank you for the food and drink. Overboiled greens and flat water is very ....unappealing after awhile, but my mother, she cannot seem to teach me..." He pauses, and a sadness fleetingly crosses his face. He grabs the tankard and turns to Echuir.  "I have no idea, Lady Echuir," he answers quickly. Elwing picks up on the sadness and faltering remarks when Nimros mentions his mother.   "I have see the disappearance of the hope of the Elves from the heavens. and three moons full passing  since I first set to sea," he continues.

" I have offered my ship and passage to the Lady Elwing, and I do the same to you. Shall we sail for Alqualonde? I'm sure your family would be delighted to be reunited with their son, Nimros."

Hearing the young elf's words,  Elwing remembers her own situation and it triggers a deep sadness inside her. She listens to the words of hope offered by the Lady Echuir and wonders if the pain inside will ever end. Nimros's face lights up and he leans forward, eyes large and moist.  "Truly?  You have news of Alqualonde?  Of Olwe?"  He looks from one face to the other. Echuir notices the sadness on Elwing's face and knows she pines for her lost husband. Nimros looks up and over at the Lady Elwing's face, and sees the look upon it.  He sits back and blinks.  "My...lady?" he falters.

Elwing nods in Nimros' direction. "Indeed, Nimros, my husband Earendil navigates his vessel Vingilot through the heavens carrying the morning star. Thus you can understand how losing sight of the morning star means a greater loss: that of my beloved."

 "I miss my husband when he travels far from home, and so I know in part what that is like, cousin, but to have him disappear? Oh, my dear lady...how you must grieve," says Echuir.

 "Aye, Lady Echuir, but action would help rid me of some of this grief. It is the inability to even begin flying skyward across the ocean which irks at me the most."

Nimros's eyes widen, and his face turns pale.  With a sudden gasp, he blurts out, "Oh...oh...White the Elwing...I mean, Elwing the White...Lady Elwing...my lady." He stumbles off the bench and drops into a deep bow.  "Protector of the Silmaril."
Elwing looks across the table.

Echuir smiles at Elwing and then glances at Nimros. "If I can help at all, it is my pleasure. I think our new friend has realized who you are."

Elwing looks in astonishment at Nimros kneeling in front of her, stands up from the bench and touches his shoulders, "Please, Nimros, no ceremony here! We are all companions lost along the road. Come. Sit," Elwing adds as she returns to her seat.

Nimros slowly rises. "I have been in the presence of nobility, I think, and was rude and ill mannered.  My father would box my ears."

 "Nimros, you show me through your actions the high ideals of a noble. Your father would be proud methinks," replies Elwing.

Nimros blushes deeply and looks to the Lady Echuir. "You, too. You are ..." he swallows as her words finally catch up to him. "You are a Queen!"

Echuir nods, "Well said, Princess. Nobility is in the heart and mind, and clearly this is a noble young elf before us. But please, no honorifics. I'm merely the Lady Echuir if you please. I left my crown at home," Echuir grins and winks.

Nimros ducks his head and murmurs. "My mother would take her wooden spoon and pop my nose, to be at a table, sitting...with queens and princesses!" Echuir can't help giggling so covers her mouth and has another sip of mead.

Elwing suddenly realises the state of dress she presents to the two companions sitting beside her and flushes bright red. Then  she chuckles at hearing Nimros' words. "A princess dressed as a wood nymph - how would your mother feel about that, I wonder?"

Echuir smiles and thinks for a moment. "And a queen who is a mariner at heart, ever anxious to explore. What would your mother say to that?"

 "She  has this large wooden spoon.  She said that it was once used in Olwe's palace kitchens, and when she and my father were first married, he came home from the Drunken Swan, smelling of Teleri spirits.  Well, spoons can hurt!"

Elwing smiles and nods. Nimros responds belatedly.  "She would rap me head and tell me to bring you a cloak..." Then his voice drops into a wistful tone. "But Alqualonde is far away, and I do not know if she still lives." Elwing turns to look at the young elf, once again hearing the wistfulness in his voice. Nimros looks at the Queen. "She would say that you have Teleri in your blood and must be kin to great Olwe himself."

Echuir looks at her two new companions, feeling an urgency within that she wonders if she senses an urgency in the other two. "I am Olwe's great niece, Lord Nimros. My great-grandfather, Elmo, is the brother of both Olwe and Elwe. I think we should make haste to Alqualonde."

Nimros nods in agreement.  "I long for Aman and Alqualonde."  He asks again, shyly.  "What news of my home?" He looks from one face to other, not realizing Alqualonde was no longer in the Undying Lands. 

Elwing feels the coolness of the breeze coming from the nearby ocean and shivers. Knowing that Princess Fur would welcome kin as she welcomed herself, she decides to belay their leaving and allow them to rest and recuperate at the tree fort if they so wish, before starting a new journey. Elwing stands and beckons to her companions, "Would you rest for a while my new friends? I like not being at this level as the dead of night approaches.Vana is a place of beauty but also has some dangerous secrets."

 "Thank you Lady Elwing. As I said, I need to stock the ship for the voyage to Alqualonde, and it would be good to stretch my legs on land for a short time," replies Echuir.

Elwing smiles. "Please, follow me this way my friends."

Nimros looks from one Lady to another and marks the question goes unanswered.  Slowly, he rises and follows Elwing's lead, noting the question remans heavily on the air. Elwing leads her friends past the campfire to the bottom of the treehouse and points to the rope giving access. "We must climb this rope and make our way up the ramps to the top," she explains. Then she clambers up the rope to start the walk to the ramps above. On reaching the higher level, Echuir looks down and shouts, "Up here, Nimros!"

The young elf scampers up as fast as he can. "Forgive me, highness. I was looking around the area....I was mindful about the fear that Lady Elwing expressed concerning dangers."

 "How good of you to be so watchful, Nimros! Thank you."

Elwing smiles at Nimros. Then she continues. "Princess Fur has allowed me to access this safe haven and I would think she would allow you to do the same."

"I will go by your wishes Lady Elwing, as in all things."

Nimros blushes and bows. "I would be honored to be guard to you both, if you both allow."  He smiles shyly and bows.

"Thank you ," she replies, then beckons to her companions to follow up the short ladder to the story above.

Nimros bows awkwardly and adds. "Your kinsman and my king would expect no less."

"You are a brave and noble young Elf, and I thank ye," says Echuir.

Nimros blushes and smiles with youthful pride.  "It is my honor."

Echuir climbs up after Elwing. Elwing feels as though she needs to brush up on her courtly manners, not being used to the formal ways of such things after spending so much time away from the life of the nobility. She looks to the stone before her and touches it thoughfully, instantly finding herself on the safe skylet above. Elwing smiles as she sees her friends arrive on the safe fae skylet and chuckles as  Nimros lands in a pool of water! Echuir supresses a giggle.

 "We are well away from the forest floor here my friends. Please explore to your heart's content. Princess Fur herself would welcome you in the same way," explains Elwing.

Nimros looks about him, mouth dropping as he takes in his surroundings. "Lady Elwing, thank you for your welcome, " he recovers and says.

Nimros nods and meekly follows, his eyes taking in the green surroundings. Elwing feels a little self-conscious standing around with her elven companions and decides to dress in something more appropriate.  "My pleasure, Nimros, please join Lady Echuir."

Echuir looks up at the enormously tall mushrooms and sees the rays of warm sunlight near the elven drums. "Come over here and let the warmth and sunshine dry you Nimros."

Elwing rushes to the small tree house where she remembers hiding her leather outfit and quickly changes into it tying back her her in a braid. She rejoins her friends by the drums on the skylet.  She heard Nimros' voice and came upon them in time to hear Echuir gasp and cover her mouth. "Oh no! I pray this is not so, but I also dreamed of his blood, and evil around him, and...and...some kind of dark flower. I do not think it is a flower I ever care to pick." Elwing blinks.

 "Sick, is what I was told, venonmously poisoned, though I cannot understand who would wish to hurt him"  He looks at each of them in turn.  "And all the outposts of our Sindar kin....those I have found...those few...they have been long abandoned," continues Nimros.

"I am not liking this. We should rest, but we should also make haste to Alqualonde as soon as possible. King Olwe's life may hang in the balance, and while we may not be able to do much, we have to try!" exclaims Echuir.

 "Without the morning star and having no bearings, I know not the way...I must ask...do you, Highnesses?" Nimros' youthful face now grows serious and thoughtful.  He was a fisher, and though he knew well how to sail, he had never steered the narrow straits of Helcaraxe, the hidden Road, known to the Teleri merchants.  Without such knowledge, returning to Aman was impossible.  And the young elf had no idea, that Alqualonde was nearly as far from Aman as was he.

Elwing ponders the young elf's words and realizes this world is experiencing greater and greater turmoil. She hears her cousin's words and knows what she says is true. The fear of that dark menace attacking yet again strikes her with a feeling of numbness.

 "I was hoping someone here could tell me the way. It is why I stopped here. And you are right, navigating without the morning star is not easy," retorts Echuir.

Elwing knows that she may have the means of salvation for them all resting in her pocket - that is if Ulmo will guide them to Alqualonde. "Cousin, Lord Ulmo has rescued me many times in my life," she begins.

"To return to the Shining Lands, we have to find and navigate the Helcaraxe. The way is closed to the world of mortal beings, save through that narrow path," remarks Nimros.

"He has entrusted me with a magnificent pearl which will call him to me." Both the other two turn to her.

 "Can Lord Ulmo set us on the road?" asks Echuir. Nimros looks at Echuir in astonishment at her question.

Elwing continues. "I have hesitated to use it as I know the Valar have many things to worry about."

Nimros's eyes light up. "Lord Ulmo, yes!  yes!"  He looks about, eagerly.  "Thank the Valar! Yes, my Lady. That is good news!" Nimros says with great reverence. "Lord Ulmo is Lord of all the waters.  Yes, Highness, he can, indeed."
Elwing smiles at the young elf's eagerness.

Echuir looks at her companions with gratitude. "If the Valar know of Olwe, then surely they would not mind helping us to sail to Alqualonde."

Nimros nods and adds.  "Ulmo and Osse love the Teleri...and King Olwe. I have had Lord Osse toss me a fish, once and laughed when I fell on the deck catching it."

"Lord Osse laughed at you Nimros? You must be a delight to the Valar and Maiar." Elwing chuckles.

Nimros blushes.  "I think Lord Osse just likes to laugh."  He smiles ruefully.

"If ever there were a time to use that Pearl, dear Elwing, this would be it. " exclaims Echuir.

Elwing looks again at the young elf and interjects, "Well, my friends, perhaps after we have rested this eve, we will restock the Lady Echuir's vessel and ask Lord Ulmo for his guidance. If it be the will of Iluvatar we will be well on our way to my Uncle's lands first thing in the morning."

Nimros looks about and stiffles a yawn.  "My father would be speechless.  I never knew the world beyond Aman, nor as he. It is bigger than I thought.  Stranger and more dangerous." Nimros nods at Elwing's words and asks,  "Should I stand guard, my Ladies?"

Elwing looks to the weary travellers. "You will both rest easy after your travels. There is nothing to fear on this skylet."

Nimros blinks sleepily, but tries to stand alert. "I would not want to fail as your sole protector!"  He adds, stiffling another yawn.

Elwing shakes her head. "Nay young elf. I insist you rest."

Nimros bows his head and nods."As my lady commands," he responds, suddenly full of grave dignity.

Echuir smiles as Elwing insists. "See? Now find a tuffet and curl up, milord. You need sleep. And I will do the same. The ship can be stocked at dawn."

Nimros bows to Queen Echuir.  "Yes, my Lady.  "but I cannot before you two.  I ...that..." becomes the bashful youth again. "I should see you are safely abed."

"Should I go look for a wooden spoon?" Echuir asks.

Elwing stifles a giggle turning it into a yawn, moves closer to the fire and finding a soft patch of grass smelling of sweet flowers she curls up to try and sleep, thoughts of her beloved and her uncle racing through her head and into her dreams.

Nimros looks stricken and eyes widen.  "No, my lady, yes...I mean... I bid thee good night." He turns and sprints to the nearest mushroom.

Echuir looks around and finds a large, low-hanging mushroom with a soft bed of flower-laden grass and curls up under it, wondering what it will be like if the pearl is invoked and Ulmo himself appears. She has never seen a Valar.

> Next