This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

February 21, 2011

Irmo Seeks Out Ulmo

< Previous     < Previous Healing Waters     

Shawn Daysleeper and AelKennyr Rhiano

Irmo, Lord of Dreams and Spirits, takes leave of his wife in his Garden of Lorien. She would prepare the plants for their long absence while the two Vala were in Alqualonde. Irmo, now alone, thought it would be wise to take council with one of his kin while in the Shining Lands. He decided he would visit Ulmo, Lord of the Sea in his palace of Ulmonan.

Ulmo, Lord of the Waters of Aman, swan from his palace; in motion like the waters of the world.  His brow was furrowed in thought at the events in the realms of the Children of Illuvatar, and his thoughts traveled, like the currents of the sea, to thoughts of his brother Vala, Irmo.  Almost as thought his thought summoned the Lord of Dreams, Irmo became aware of his Brother Vala's approaching presence and beckoned the Vala of Visions to speak with him in his watery realm. "Brother," greets Ulmo.  "Few honor me so."


Lord Ulmo
Irmo nods to the Lord of Sea. "Indeed, it has been many passings of Arien since I have been in your home."

Ulmo bows his head in gracious acknowledgment.  "I am unused to being sought out, Brother.  My ways are solitary.  Yet you are most welcome.  Please, I have set out a bench for you to take your ease."

Irmo looks at the bench curiously, then remembers his bodily functions. "Ah yes." he takes a seat on the bench.  Ulmo waits for Irmo to sit, watching the Lord of Dreams carefully.  "How have you adjusted in your guise as one of the Children?" he asks, with  a slight smile.


"I admit, I am still adjusting,"  he answers, returning Ulmo's smile. "My sister and I have tried to serve the Teleri King by offering some soup we ... cooked. Yes, I think cooked was the word the Teleri woman used."

"You 'cooked?'  Actually prepared food as they do.  I would like one day to hear more of this.  Often I see their cookfires from the shorelines...smelled the burning of the animal flesh as they prepare their meals.  It escapes me the need to do this to their nourishment, but seems to help them to thrive."

"Oh yes, it was a very difficult task. They seem to cook their food before eating it. The process looks quite complex. But I am afraid I will have to wait and explain the nature of these actions to you later."

Ulmo nods. "I did not think the Lord of Visions came to strike tender to a cookfire beneath the waves of the seas," Ulmo says with a rare, deep laugh.  "In true, I see worry wrinkle your brow."

Irmo smiles and gives a short laugh. He then looked around his surroundings. The magnificence of the palace was rarely exceeded anywhere else on Arda. He stops looking for a moment before speaking. "I fear Olwe, Teleri King's situation is much more grim than I have realised. The sight I witnessed, is unimaginably painful."

Irmo Tells of Olwë's Suffering

Ulmo bows his mighty head and gives one short nod.  "I was afraid, from the snippets of speech carried to me upon the waves of the world. How bad ?"

Irmo turns to Ulmo. "He is seemingly possessed by a Voice. By carefully listening to his dialogue, I believe this Voice seeks to alter his mind. Perhaps being controlled." Irmo wrinkles his brow.

Ulmo looks up, his gaze sweeps across the garden of coral and rests upon Irmo's face, taking in the expression of his brother Vala.  "Olwe's heart and mind has always been open to the thoughts of us, eagerly and with great reverence.  From the very start, when he was newly awoken, he hearkened to the sea, the call of the waves, and I grew fond of him and of his Teleri.  Now, where there were once songs of love and praise for Eru, for joy in creation of his world, there is silence.  Where once there was the bright and abiding love and service of the Teleri Lord, there is emptiness.  I cannot feel the mind of Olwe nor his heart.  This is a thing I could not believe possible,  Brother."

Irmo sighs deeply at Ulmo's words. "He spoke of the Valar leaving him. His words would be filled with anger, with wroth. But then... then he would speak of defiance to this... entity within him. He would shout that it would not have him. But I fear that the situation worsens daily. I have already noticed worsening situation with him since our arrival in Alqualonde." Irmo stops speaking a moment as in thought. "But that is not all, brother. This also carries physical symptoms as well."

Irmo and Ulmo in Conversation
Ulmo's eyes widen for a moment and then narrow, intense as he listens.  "Physical?" he asks.  "Manifestations?"

Irmo does not answer immediately, but nods his head. His eyes intense as well. Shifting his position on the bench, Irmo speaks. "Yes, the Teleri King's stature was magnificent. Strong and impressive. But now, he has become gaunt and he no longer maintains his physical appearance. His hair is wild and his eyes sunken. And... and his skin is broken by crevaces, from which blood freely pours. His kin are constantly treating these injuries, but they return often without hindrance."

Ulmo shifts on the bench beside the Lord of Visions, and the waters of the seas shift and grow still as he himself grows still.  A soft moan of sorrow tumbles from the Lord of the Sea's mouth, and all the fish about flit and swim away quickly.  "It sounds as though his very life is being drained from him," murmurs Ulmo.  "Can you reach him when he sleeps?  Can he hear any of us?"

 Irmo shakes his head. "I am afraid I have not seen Lord Olwe follow the Olore Malle, the Path of Dreams, for many a night. I have not been able to reach him. His defiance will fade, we must try to reach him... or... we will lose him."

The Spot Made Barren by Melkor's Evil
Ulmo nods in agreement, his face a grim visage of worry and sadness.  "We must not lose Olwe.  He is the hope of the Children"  He looked out beyond the circle of sea life surrounding them. "Those barren rocks beyond us were once as full of life as this.  Then Melkor reached out with his hate and destroyed much of Eru's wondrous creation.  In all the seas, I repaired much, but this spot, devoid of beauty and life, I kept nearby, that I may never forget what he did. "  He looks over at Irmo.  "Whatever holds Olwe, it trails back to Melkor and his evil twisted machinations.  Even from his prison..."  Ulmo takes in a deep breath, though air nor water he needs not.  "What now, has he devised, imprisoned and incorporeal as he is?  How do we help Olwe when we are bidden not to intervene in the fate of the Children?"

Irmo considers Ulmo's question for a moment. He reaches his hand into his cloak and pulls out  of one of the deep pockets a crystal vial, carefully stoppered shut to protect the gleaming liquid within. Irmo holds it up to his friend. "Perhaps I should speak briefly of my errand in the Shining Lands. I think this will be our help to Olwe."

Ulmo's gaze is caught by the motion of Irmo's hand and he looks at the vial, nodding.  "Yes," said Ulmo, the one word conveying more than simple speech as the grief at all that  Melkor, once second in might only to Manwe himself, has wrought upon the creation of Eru.

Irmo straightens himself on the bench before beginning. "My witness of Lord Olwe's attack led me to think that there are none that can ease his suffering more than my wife, Este. And so i departed Lord Olwe's lands, and arrived in Murmuran, on the shores of Lorellin in Lorien. There I found my wife, I explained to her what I witnessed as I did to you. She fell into sorrow, and offered this vial of water from her pools of healing. While I was grateful for this gift to the Teleri King, i pleaded that she come as well to Alqualonde. She will depart when the Garden has been prepared for our absence. I am grateful that she will come to Olwe, in the disguise of a Teleri."

Ulmo claps a hand upon the shoulder of the Lord of Dreams.  "Well done, " he murmurs, eying the vial. "Well, well done. You are most wise, Irmo, to seek out your lady wife's aid in this, and her succour would be of great comfort to gentle Olwe.  Know you that his near kin, Comet, too, fights off a great evil, as the source of her strength and protection was taken from her land, and even now as we speak, a terrible struggle there ensues to win it back and restore the balance of light and shadow. " He drops his hand from Irmo's shoulder.

Irmo smiles a little at his brother's praise. He returns the vial to his pocket. "Thank you brother," he says as his smile fades from his lips. "But there is still a great task before us, all of us that seeks to protect Olwe from the wrath of Melkor."

Ulmo nods once, and looks into the face of the Lord of Dreams.  "You speak of this....thing...the Children are set upon to do, in order to restore him.  Do they realize, think you, the grave battle that you describe is continuously being waged within him?"

Irmo looks down for a moment. "I... I do not know for certain. There are times when he is calm, but then other times he is battling his inner foe. I would say that it is not continuous, but do not know for sure."

Ulmo nods, his tone when he speaks reflective.  "We must lend all aid we can to this....ritual.  No doubt those among them who weave...'magic'...maybe most capable, but this is far beyond, I fear, what they are able to fathom.  The Children see but a little into the Song of Creation.  We see but a bit more, and Manwe, among us all, sees futhest.  Yet, even the Lord of Arda knows now how this will end for Olwe.  Two Sindar elves, kin to Olwe, seek to aid the Teleri King.  One is Elwing the White, now bereft of husband since the disappearance of the morning star.  The second, of the line of Elmo, reckoned a queen among her kin.  Perhaps it is time I drew my hand across the waves and brought them unto the Haven of the Swans.  What think you?"

Irmo nods. "Yes, I agree. Perhaps you could deliver my words to Lord Manwe. He needs to be aware of Olwe's health and it's decline. I also agree that all of his allies and friends should be present at the ritual. Speeding them on to Alqualonde would facilitate their journeys across the seas. Perhaps we should maintain a vigilance on Olwe's Lands as well, they are weak against a possible hostile force."

"I can and will deliver your words until Manwe. I am in agreement he should be made aware of the turn of events.  I shall bid Osse to keep near the shores of Alqualonde and to make himself available to thy call, upon your need, should have you any.  Upon the land of Vana, in the mortal world, rests Elwing and the one called Echuir.  I shall speedily bring them to Alqualonde.  Lady Unien, I shall speed to Sylvahara's shores, to learn of the struggle there and the welfare of Comet, for she bears the blood of Eldar elves in her veins, and next to Olwe is in great danger for her kinship."  He stops a moment.  Then he speaks slowly.  "The Great Deciever in his prison must be questioned regarding his role, and I wish also to ask Manwe his wisdom, since Tilion is yet kept apart from Olwe."

"I shall look to word from you, should Manwe question the Great Deceiver. I would be most interested in his responses. I will also look for the coming of Elwing and Elcuir to Alqualonde and assist in their preparations. If there is anything else I can assist you, contact me as you wish."

Ulmo rose from the bench, and the waters of the world swirled and came into motion at his movement.  Ancient, knowing eyes gaged the sorrow in Irmo's expression, and he offered the Lord of Dreams a grim smile.  "You return again to Alqualonde, disguised as one of the children?"  he asks.

Irmo nods. "I will depart soon for the Swanhaven and hope my disguise will hold a little longer. My sister is covering for my absence, I hope my presence has not been missed."

"Among the Children are those who seek from the waters of the world food and bountious is the sea indeed.  They throw out nets and harvest much they use as food.  To aid you in providing sustenance, I shall cause Osse to herd to the shoreline and cast upon the banks, such as the Teleri oft use as food." Ulmo adds, as an afterthought. "I know no more of this 'cooking' than from the smell they seek to burn the things they devour, truly charred."

Irmo smiles a little. "Yes, having all of that seafood come ashore would make for...  interesting events. Cooking is... very difficult. We cooked with fish and some noodles we found in Olwe's garden. I was at a loss as to why this deed had to be performed, but I think my disguise is still holding."

Ulmo nods.  "Surely if the Children do it, it grows easier with the repeating of the task.  They appear to do it with regularity."

"Thank you, brother, for your council. I feel we have accomplished much. I will continue on to Alqualonde." Rising, the Lord of Dreams took his leave of Lord Ulmo, feeling a little better prepared to confront the coming challenges with his brethren Vala.

> Next     > Next Healing Waters