This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

February 9, 2011

Nolë and Elenwë Prepare to Sail

< Previous    
Shawn Daysleeper and Carleen Luckstone

Nole pleaded for his king to at least eat the breakfast he brought for him. Afterwards, he decended the steps to the throne room as the rosy dawn light began to reach across the sky. His mind was full of the things he had to do to  prepare for the upcoming voyage. "To where are we going?" Nole whispers. Turning, he sees a familiar face.

"I don't know," Elenwe says. "I  didn't know you and I were going anywhere." She was passing through the throne room when she noticed her dear friend Nole coming down the staircase, looking puzzled. Elenwe stops at the foot of the stairs, smiling up at Nole.

Nole smiles "I forgot about your sensitive ears. I am so glad to see you."



Elenwe chuckles. Falling into step with Nole, she asks carefully, "How is our Lord Olwe this morn?" She has not yet disclosed the incident of Olwe writhing on the floor in a pool of his own blood, surrounded by the two newest Teleri. She is curious to know what Nole is aware of.

"Our lord," Nole begins. "I ... I am not exactly sure, dear friend. I went to deliver his breakfast, and he opened his bedchamber door just as I had arrived. He clapped me on the sholder and said, 'Prepare, we sail within the hour, make all ready.'" Nole remembered Olwe's grim look. "He said 'We must hurry. Time is slipping, like water, through our cupped hands.' I was just going to the harbour now to prepare the swanship."

"Within the hour, and time slipping like water," Elenwe muses, noting that their path lay in the direction of the harbour. "I will prepare to go aboard as soon  as possible, and assist the king in his  preparations." She looks at  her friend striding quickly beside her. "He..he was quite disturbed the last time I saw him. He was......wounded, somehow.  I couldn't understand what was happening. I and the newly-arrived  Teleri, Apakenwe and Estelin, had made him some soup and were sitting with him. It was as if...." She hesitates. "As if something was attacking him, something unseen."

Slowing his pace, Nole turns to his friend. "I remember there was a similar incident when his kin Fi arrived. But it happened again? Do the new Teleri know what could be causing these attacks?" Nole shrugs his shoulders. "They did travel extensively, as did  I. There are many strange lands out there. I have not seen the newcomers in some time myself, they both are quite.. mysterious." Nole fell back into this thoughts.

Elenwe watches her friend lapse into silence. She feels strangely disquieted, and cannot fathom the reason. After waiting for Nole to continue, Elenwe touches Nole's cloak. "My friend, time is fleeting. I shall go immediately to see Lord Olwe, and will bring him to the ship soon."

"Before you go, may I ask something dear friend?' he says, turning to his friend.

"Of course, my friend."

"I.. umm could not help but take a peek in the cooking pot a few days ago. I saw some sort of... soup, I believe, in the kitchen. What exactly was that?"

"Oh, yes. I prepared soup for Lord Olwe, to strengthen him for his recovery. The two Teleri helped me." She remembers the diffiulty they had in the kitchens, but recalls the king's apparent awe with the results. "Perhaps I will prepare soup again on our voyage." She smiles at Nole.

"That would be ... wonderful. Yes, quite wonderful." Nole smiles.

"I'm happy I can aid you, and Lord Olwe, in preparing sustenance. Perhaps I had better visit the garden before we sail. I was not the one to harvest the noodles in the garden, and I will need to look carefully to find  them." She turns in the direction of the palace, and then stops. "Is there anything else, or should we prepare?" she inquires of Nole.

"I believe that is all. I will have the ship ready by the time you arrive with our king."

Elenwe smiles at Nole. "I will be with you shortly. Wherever we are going....." Her voice trails off as she recalls that the destination is known only to King Olwe.



Nole giggles a little as he arrives at the swan ship. He carefully looks over the ropes to make sure the cold dry winter air had not dried them out. Suddenly he laughed. "Noodles? From the garden?" He looks skywards a moment, the rosy fingers of dawn began to turn golden as the day advanced. Their last hour in Alqualonde, at least for a while, was passing.










> Next