This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

April 17, 2011

Unto Eärwen ...

< Previous Olwë     < Previous Eärwen    
AelKennyr Rhiano

"Beloved Eärwen," 
Olwë of Alqualondë writes in his precise, neat hand.  He pauses and looks out over the whole of Alqualondë, watching as birds take flight from a tree and wing their way past the palace.  He looks back down at the vellum and dips his quill into the ink bottle again.
"I write to you this day, much clearer of mind and sounder of body than the last time I beheld you, my beautiful daughter.  By the grace of  Eru Ilúvatar, Father of All, and the intercession of the Valar, I am restored to full health and reason.  The Evil which had me in its grasp has been banished and once more, I feel the blissful presence of the Ainur. 

He pauses to dip the quill back into the ink and with his free hand raises his goblet to his lips, sipping the wine while he considers his next words.
"Last night, in the dream realm of Lord Irmo, I was again with Beloved Tilion."
Olwe pauses, remembering the Steersman of the Moon, the reunion sweet and poignant for it brevity. "This morn Lord Ulmo came unto Alqualondë, and he bid me meet him at the docks.  There he spoke words of kind encouragement, but also words of warning. This mortal world has much changed over the passage of time, my daughter.  Elves are fading from view of the younger Children of Eru.  Old trading posts abandoned, cities empty and silent. I heard Lord Ulmo question the wisdom of the Valar in bringing the elves to Aman, and inwardly I was disquieted by this thought.

"Elwing the White is here, brought to these shores by Lord Irmo himself. I cannot imagine the pain in heart since the disappearance of the Morning Star and her beloved.  I shall seek her  out and speak with her, as she has been travelling Middle Earth recently.  I shall need such advice, if all the elves are to be reunited and Children of Light prepared to stand against what lies ahead.

"Give unto thy husband my greetings and regards. Tell Finarfin to safeguard you, my daughter, the pearl of Alqualondë. One more thing, Beloved Daughter....

 "Where, now is Norwen, who is called Galadriel in this mortal world? My heart is discomforted for not knowning.

May Eru keep you and the Valar protect you,

Your loving father"

Olwe drops the quill into the ink bottle and blows upon the paper to hasten the drying of the ink.  His eyes lift up to the view of Alqualondë spread out before him.  Galadriel, where was she?  And where was his great granddaughter Fi, in this troubled and dangerous world. Then a pained expression crosses his face as he shudders, knowing what the Voice would have done at such a thought.

It would have laughed with glee.

> Next