This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

May 23, 2011

Fireside Chat -- Text-Based Combat – Taking Damage

< Previous     


Present:
Gwindolyn Spiritor  (teaching)
Rhûn Darkmoon (zu.dragoone)
AelKennyr Rhiano  
Lihan Taifun             
Belenos the Bad (belenosstormchaser.magic)


Summary:
In text-based combat, it is essential for all players to be fair and honest in accepting damage.  A player who hates to have his character get hurt becomes a general problem.

It can be difficult when the players are not familiar with each other's characters' abilities.  In that case, you may spend a lot of time in IM, discussing what is the most likely result of some action.  This would include the characters' skills, abilities, endurance, strength, resistance to magic or poison.  This process could be descibed as “thinking out loud” or “negotiation”.  In text-based roleplay you do not have a meter keeping track of these things for you.

(Example:   The fight between Gwindolyn and Nimros was short, but there was an extensive IM discussion going on behind the scenes.)  Much of it was of the form:  How would this action affect a “normal” person?  Knowing that, how would it specifically affect this character in this situation?)

A rather confusing section about magical abilities.  I think the overall conclusion was that magical abilities need to be cleared with the gamemaster (in Fourth Age, Sakura Easterwood) in advance, and cannot simply be agreed upon by the players at the time of the conflict.  Such abilities also need to make sense for the character's race, background, and training.  And magic must have commensurate weaknesses, and costs for the user.  All abilities and limits should be listed on your character card.

The example of “taking damage” turned into an example of debating the plausibility of a reaction.  (Perhaps also an example of why putting deliberately misleading information into your emotes doesn't always work.)

Explicitly stating what your character is thinking is a symptom of inexperienced roleplaying or of godmodding.

There is a difference between a character believing (perhaps incorrectly) that she is superior, and a player believing (without justification) that her character is superior.  The first is “character with personality.” The second is godmodding.  The difference should be expressed in the roleplay, although it was not specified how.


Lihan Taifun:              we'll see if my internet connection can stay on for an hour. It would make a nice change
AelKennyr Rhiano:   You have had a rough time of it lately :(
Lihan Taifun:              the connection has been terrible lately
Belenos the Bad staples lihan to her seat
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  I hope you can stay, Lihan. your dwarf is just too much fun.
Lihan Taifun grins
AelKennyr Rhiano was going to offer, but not many people let him play with staple guns
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  lol@ Ael
Belenos the Bad grins.. I know.. that's why I did it for you
AelKennyr Rhiano:   thank you :)
Gwindolyn Spiritor adds superglue to the staples.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   I'm not allowed power tools...blushes

Gwindolyn Spiritor:  So, with respect to Lihan's connection, let's get to business. Damage in combat.
Rhûn Darkmoon:      By all means.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  When it is on text, there is a lot of reliance on the other player to be honest and fair in accepting damage. This can be painful if you have someone who just hates to be hurt.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  It can also be a bit tricky when you get to Rpers together who are not familiar with the other's abilities. Ael and I did a lot of negotiating and discussing in IM when Gwindolyn and Nimros fought.
AelKennyr Rhiano nods
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  The battle on NC may have been short, but the discussions were long. Just us talking between us to figure out proper reactions.

{Belanos and Rhûn crash, as do a number of people on Ael's friend list.}
AelKennyr Rhiano:   erm...you may want to stop a moment.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Hmmm. Belenos crashed. Gwindolyn Spiritor nods
AelKennyr Rhiano:   A lot of people just crashed on my friends list
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  The glue and staples worked though. *looks at Lihan still here*
AelKennyr Rhiano:   So I am not sure but if sl is having major issues
Lihan Taifun:              When Belanos gets back, we staple her down, too
AelKennyr Rhiano:   And Rhun
Lihan Taifun:              eeep, I didn't notice Rhun! that was half the class in one stroke
{Rhûn relogs.}
AelKennyr Rhiano:   Wb :)
Lihan Taifun:              wb
AelKennyr Rhiano:   It was weird watching several people crash like that from different places in sl
Rhûn Darkmoon coughs.. 'Thank you'
AelKennyr Rhiano looks over the top of the vase of ...dead? ....roses and nods in Rhun's direction.."Need velcro?"
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  It must have been your friendlist, Ael. I only lost Belenos off mine.
Lihan Taifun:              superglue seems to work well
Gwindolyn Spiritor smiles to Lihan
AelKennyr Rhiano:   Well, Fox, Rhun, and Belenos went first...then a whole bunch of others.
Rhûn Darkmoon blushes... 'If it happens again I may need tying down, I thnk.'
AelKennyr Rhiano:   "Don't let it happen again. I think that is the topic of next week's class."
Lihan Taifun bites her lip.
AelKennyr Rhiano looks at Rhun with a serious expression.
Gwindolyn Spiritor grins "I've gotten pretty good describing ropework. And in rather .... uhm.... intimate ways."
Rhûn Darkmoon looks up startled... 'What'?
AelKennyr Rhiano:   "I think that would be for the ...erm...more advanced class..."
{Belenos relogs.}
AelKennyr Rhiano:   WB :)
Lihan Taifun:              wb, Bel
AelKennyr Rhiano reaches for the staple gun and walks towards Belenos
Belenos the Bad:        EEEE!
Gwindolyn Spiritor stands back and watches. She is evil enough to enjoy, but not dumb enough to be close.
AelKennyr Rhiano blinks, assuming a innocent expression.
Belenos the Bad:        oh no you don't.. I know ALLL about you and staple guns
AelKennyr Rhiano:   What? I am sure I can get it right this time.
Gwindolyn Spiritor roars with laughter.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   It's been a long time since I have stapled my shoe to the floor.
Belenos the Bad:        umm... I'm sure you could.. practice it on someone else first.. :P
AelKennyr Rhiano looks around the floor, his gaze settling on Rhun.
Rhûn Darkmoon casts a glance over at the instructress... 'I, trust my gift and apology are acceptible?'
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Rhun, your address of me today is acceptable on its own. But dead flowers is a nice touch. Thank you.
Rhûn Darkmoon smiles shyly... "I put much thought into what may appeal."
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  I will also take this break to apologize for my own behavior last week. I did not handle things as they ought to have been handled and they will be done differently if such an occassions ever arises again.
Belenos the Bad wonders just how much it's costing a certain young elf to not finish his sentences in his usual manner and grins
Rhûn Darkmoon looks daggers at the Dragon Queen
AelKennyr Rhiano:   Thank you to you both. This ability to recognize and admit when things go wrong is what makes this group a community that works together.
Rhûn Darkmoon blushes
AelKennyr Rhiano passes the staple gun to Belenos. "Just in case Rhun needs help staying in his seat."
Belenos the Bad:        oh.. I thought you'd given it to me in case I had to staple that cheeky mouth closed.. *grins*
Rhûn Darkmoon feels his lips twitch as he blushes even more

Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Ok, so I will back up a little bit as I'm not sure where people crashed.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   please
Belenos the Bad:        I got the first bit and lost it after that
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  When Nimros and Gwindolyn fought, the notecard was not very long. However, the discussion in IM was quite lengthy.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   That was my first text based fight.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  We had to discuss things like our character's ability level, tolerances and skills. I don't know much about the type of elf Nimros is. So I too had to be taught.
Belenos the Bad:        as I remarked before I crashed although it didn't go through, with text based it does not have the advantage of a meter registering hits and damage.. so it must be agreed between the protagonists
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  We would talk about how things would affect 'normal' and then how it might affect ours. We would decide together how things went. precisely, Belenos. With two decently honest and fair players, this is more a talking out loud with a sounding board, than it is negotiations. But not everyone is so capable of reason. Gwindolyn Spiritor grins "We can all think of players that can't reason their way out of a wet paper bag."
AelKennyr Rhiano gets out the short list
Rhûn Darkmoon:      It is my experience that pride and ego can sometimes falter fair negotiations of this type also, yes?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Yes, Rhun, they can often kill a good RP. So if I were to walk over to Ael, and he allowed me through several pretty emotes, and I scratched his arm with my nails, who can think of possible results?
AelKennyr Rhiano:   You'll break a nail?
Belenos the Bad:        he'd go 'ow'?
AelKennyr Rhiano:   Did your nails pierce the fabric?
Lihan Taifun:              if your nails were poisoned -- which knowing you they might be -- you might have poisoned him. right, also she might have damaged your nice white shirt
AelKennyr Rhiano:   nod nod nod
Belenos the Bad:        I'd have him sectioned for letting a dangerous drow get so close?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Good question Ael and very good thinking Lihan. ROFL Love the humor, Belenos, but I'm looking for more immediate.
Belenos the Bad:        Then I'd go with what they said.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  These are the sorts of things you would look for in my emote. If they were not there, you would have to ask in IM and work it into your emote.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   It would depend upon whether he was wearing anything underneath the white shirt
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Very good Ael. I was looking for that thought too. I very narrowly managed to not become mince drow once due to my metal sheaths in my boots that hold my throwing knives.
Rhûn Darkmoon:      And you'd both have to work within the limits of what a normal drow is capable of?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Rhun, you have to work within the limits of your character. I am a high priestess and quite favored by my Goddess. So I get little perks that can cost me quite dearly later.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   However, Rhun has a point.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  My Goddess has been known to grant reanimation with complete mind/memories in tact but then cost that person anything and everything they held dear.
Rhûn Darkmoon:      What is the later cost? Why is it a later cost when normally in combat the use of a weapon costs immediately?
AelKennyr Rhiano:   If your character is demonstrating abilities outside of your race and not given to your class, it needs to be logically explained?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  precisely Ael.
Belenos the Bad:        so you are unkillable?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  it depends on what it is granted compared to what it is costing.
Belenos the Bad:        I think Rhun has a point about the timing of the cost.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  if my Goddess granted me some boon, the cost would have to be visible immediately. Give me some weakness to it. Something to exploit. Even if that were just a minor portion of the overall.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   Wait, wait, wait...before you would go using that in a rp, wouldn't you run that past the gamemaster?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  It would be negotiated.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   negotiated?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  It would not be 'dropped' without prior conversation in an emote. That would be fully godmoding. negotiated, would be talking it out with those involved ahead or in IM.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   wait, wait...I think I am very confused.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Such as Olwe's redemption was.
Belenos the Bad:        I'm wondering if it might not be useful for role play that not only when we submit our character background etc, we also submit a detailed list of their abilities and limits. So unless agreed later, these are what our character must work within
Rhûn Darkmoon:      Well I'm grateful that I'm not the only confused one.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   Belenos, we have RoE character cards for just that, to be handed out as we start to see more combat.
Gwindolyn Spiritor nods "most places require that Belenos. I keep my on hand always. Keeps me standardized and saves godmoding."
Lihan Taifun:              I was just thinking that such a list was on our character cards
AelKennyr Rhiano:   Do I understand you right? That you would use that ability in a roleplay without first clearing it with the gamemaster or admins first?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Ael, if a roleplay went somewhere unusual and i wanted to do something beyond my capabilities, I would stop and call any who needed contacting to discuss the possibilities.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   ok I was getting very confused for a moment.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  That is also a good way to keep an objective idea of 'cost' for it. That is part of 'negotiated'.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   yes, that was going to be my second part...Something of that magnitude needs to be cleared and set with admins...not other rpers
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  I have stopped mid RP to IM someone and say "hey, wouldn't it be cool for the story if....." But usually anything of that magnitude is pre-planned.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   yes, but if in the middle of RP, I im Belenos and said, "Wouldn't it be cool if you roast Olwe to cinders, then it rains, and he springs up fully formed." I hope that first she would smack me...then she would call in Sakura.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  ROFL
Belenos the Bad:        yes.. cool story, fun.. but not within acceptable or expected limits
AelKennyr Rhiano:   heh heh right
Belenos the Bad:        I'd actually wonder what you'd been drinking
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  no, things have to remain logical.
Rhûn Darkmoon ducks his head to hide a grin
AelKennyr Rhiano:   and then you would roast me, look up and said, "Wow, not a cloud in the sky."
Belenos the Bad:        hahaha yes!
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Olwe was saved from death once. but it was with much discussion and negiations.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   and it was part of a major rp thread...not part of an individual's rp.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  And it was inline with the story.
Belenos the Bad:        so just what can kill a drow? Even one with goddess protection
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  I'm mortal flesh and blood
Belenos the Bad:        so you would have the limits of mortal flesh and blood?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Daggers in the lung do quite normal death deals. I have abilities to heal as a cleric of chaos. But that has its limits and costs too. So though I can heal, I can't heal constantly forever.
Belenos the Bad:        Does healing take time? Or is it instantaneous?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  I am highranked and well taught. Mostly, it is like your healing. One emote to cast and one to effect.
Belenos the Bad:        And how long after that before you may heal again?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  I cast on Ael and it affects him in his response
Rhûn Darkmoon listens with interest
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Being that healing is like a level 2 spell and I'm a level 9 caster, I do have quite a few before cost really kicks in. But then I need to do my daily prayers and sacrifices. And often my sacrifice is my own blood. So deprive me of my rituals and weaken me.
AelKennyr Rhiano blinks. But that sounds like D&D
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  D&D is just RP in another format, Ael.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   We don't have level spells and character levels in 4th Age.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  it just gives an idea of ability. Skill. teaching, training. My teacher did teach me to cast using D&D levels and spell allowances. I had to work my way up through my levels in SL. I had tests to pass.

Belenos the Bad:        But wouldn't healing cost depend on severity of the wound? Say, a knife to the lung would be much more draining to heal than a broken finger, I would imagine?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  yes. The first time I knit together bone, I left myself standing in such a weakened state, I couldn't walk a step. I could only stand and sway unsteadily. I did mange to put up a forcefield, but that was all.
Belenos the Bad:        wait.. you could not walk, but you could put up a force field?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  It took my last vestiges of energy to put up that field.
Belenos the Bad:        odd.. from all I know of that sort of thing, if you did not have the energy to walk, how could you have the energy to cast a force field, which is something that must be maintained. Or am I getting this wrong?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Belenos, I chose the protection over the escape. And had any tested that field, they wouldn't have found it strong. but none had tested it. Gwindolyn Spiritor grins "Sometimes a bluff works."

AelKennyr Rhiano:   Can we stick to relating these things as they would unfold in the 4th Age, please, instead of another system. I hate to say it, but I must admit all this serves to confuse me instead of help.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  now, we have gotten terribly off track.
Rhûn Darkmoon makes notes that drows bluff and grins
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Ok, now Belenos, dear, give me a good emote that attacks me. Godmoding is allowed as I want the damage not the story.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   Wait, please.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Yes, Ael?
AelKennyr Rhiano:   I may be dense tonight, but I think we lost me a long time back. I need some solid background that would put this in the 4th Age context.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  damage is about negotiating what has happened and what will happen. that is both within and beyond the context of the 4th age. It is just a universal skill.
Belenos the Bad:        oh no.. *laughs*.. I do not role play any more, my sweet.... choose a regular role player for that please.. *Smiles*
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  This is not about a story, please. I just need a blade or a claw against my flesh so I can show systematically how to decide damage.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   But there are different ways to do it and different practices.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  yes, Ael, I need an emote and Belenos seems shy. Do me the honor, please?

AelKennyr Rhiano looks over at Belenos and blinks. "Belenos...shy?" His hand reaches down to the top of his boot, his fingers tucking into the top of the leather. "I have never known the lady to be shy." With the swiftness of an one of the three great clans of elves, he withdraws an dagger and sends it flying with the precision taught him by Tulkas himself. "I think you are mistaken, " he said, as the blade whistles, three inches of mithril heading for the Drow's head. "DROW!"

Belenos the Bad grins at my protector
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Ok, I need to ask a few questions as I don't know the references. All know elves are quick and nimble, but is the three great clans more quick and nimble than most elves?
AelKennyr Rhiano nods. I would say they are the equal of any Drow. and more than equal for the average one.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Ok, and Tulkas is *THE* archer/ranger?
Lihan Taifun:              no, Tulkas is the wrestler :P Orome is the archer
AelKennyr Rhiano:   Tulkas (Quenya Tengwar: full spelling 1UjaE8 or vowel-abbreviated spelling 1Uja8; IPA: [Ààtulkas]) was the most warlike of the Valar and the last of them to descend into Arda, coming to the aid of the others when he heard of their war with Melkor. Melkor fled before him, and the Spring of Arda was begun.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  But does that mean he can aim?
AelKennyr Rhiano:   Tulkas is described as delighting in wrestling and contests of strength. He wields no weapon, and rides no steed. As he cares little about either past or future, he is not a good councillor, but nonetheless a very hardy friend. He is described as being slow to wrath, but also slow to forgive‚ for that reason, he was one of the Valar that opposed the release of Melkor.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   heh heh...very good....you caught me out :P
Gwindolyn Spiritor grins. That would normally be in IM
AelKennyr Rhiano:   actually there are two pieces of misinformation. Tulkas is a warrior, and he is strong and skilled, but not with weapons. If I had cited Eonwe, that would have been an "uh-oh" moment.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  I would then consider he is faster than I expect him to be. So I'm caught off guard. But then as he points out, he was taught to throw by someone who had no claim to knowing how to throw.

Gwindolyn Spiritor watches as the dagger whizzes past her shoulder. Her face shows her surprise and appreciation for his speed, but it turns quizzical as the dagger misses so completely. She bursts out laughing.

Gwindolyn Spiritor:  _Sorry, I hit enter too soon-
Belenos the Bad:        and what happens if while the drow is busy laughing a further attack follows..
Lihan Taifun grins
AelKennyr Rhiano:   So, he catches her off guard, with a dagger aimed at her head, she can both duck and laugh?

Gwindolyn Spiritor:  She realizes that had he any skill with aim, she might be wearing that dagger in the middle of a very important muscle, the one that moves her throwing and casting arm.

Gwindolyn Spiritor:  I did not duck. His aim was atrocious.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   The dagger misses so completely? I see..
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  He was taught to throw by someone who doesn't use daggers. But now, I'm vulnerable as I'm doubled over laughing. Ael, you said yourself, "That would have been an 'uh-oh' moment"
AelKennyr Rhiano:   hmmmm... I think the aim being atrocious may be a little close to godmodding. I could buy it if she sidestepped it, because she has abilities too. But to have it just miss when he has abilities and skills of his own...idk... I would debate that. and while being taught by Tulkas doesn't make him formidable by default...that should be called on by the other rper... it does not mean his aim is crap...just that it is not better for being taught by Tulkas.
Belenos the Bad:        I must say I agree, Ael.. Elves are hardly useless as humans often are to begin with. They tend to have more athletic ability naturally do they not?
AelKennyr Rhiano nods
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Ok, ok, it doesn't. and good catch. Just because his teacher didn't have any skill to speak of, doesn't mean he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   The emote I did had two common flaws in it...it was an emote someone who knows a little about Tolkien might do
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  So next week, we will talk a bit about rectifying a mistake.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   How likely is it that I would have been taught by Tulkas, and why would he talk to me about daggers? and second...why is the blade made of mithrill?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  I wondered that mithril part, but I'm really trying to get hit here. But for now, Ael, I'm doubled over in laughter, take advantage of it and do something to cause some damage?
AelKennyr Rhiano:   ummmm...will throwing a boot count? You missed my dagger :P
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  lol. Ok, then I will back it up and redo my post so that you hit me.
Belenos the Bad:        are you going to tell me you only have one dagger on you, Ael.. Have I taught you nothing?
AelKennyr Rhiano:   lol Sorry, I don't have any other logical weapons on me. atm Rhun was supposed to be guarding me.
Rhûn Darkmoon looks up startled. Me? No one told me this.
Rhûn Darkmoon throws a vial of rose-scented perfume at the drow
Rhûn Darkmoon:      Does perfume burn their skin like holy water does for vampires?
Belenos the Bad:        lol

Gwindolyn Spiritor was not expecting the elf to move so quickly. Afterall, she normally out maneuvers the surface elves. She had noted earlier this one was not quite as the others she had tortured, but his speed still caught her off guard. A hand reflexively pops up before she can even rationally respond to the thrown missle. The blade sinks deep into her palm. The point shining on the other side of her instantly stretching fingers. A scream hurls from her dark lips as she stares in wonder at the pale being before her.

Lihan Taifun:              (That is an amended reply to Ael's dagger?)
AelKennyr Rhiano:   (( yes ))
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  yes She could not sidestep fast enough to his speed. However, reflexes are faster than thought.
Rhûn Darkmoon:      ((wipes his brow, tucks his perfume away))
AelKennyr Rhiano:   What is the purpose to this line: She had noted earlier this one was not quite as the others she had tortured,
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Just expanding on her surprise.
Belenos the Bad:        it tends to give the impression though, that she is stronger than the elves, as she regularly tortures them
AelKennyr Rhiano:   there is a reason I ask this. I notice that when people do this alot, they are doing it to cover up either a lack of experience in emoting or they move from those types of statements to godmodding. I think Belenos is touching upon the same tendency? Have you seen it before, Belenos?
Gwindolyn Spiritor smiles "Drow don't fight fair. We fight to win. We raid when elves would be most vulnerable."
Belenos the Bad:        yes. ..we had to watch it in the role play in Oiolaire
Lihan Taifun:              when you say "when they do this ..." what exactly are they doing?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  A bit more mental workings, Lihan. what am i thinking instead of just doing.
Belenos the Bad:        In their emoting they imply superiority, without it having been shown in the actual role play. It paves the way for then a superior response in this scene
AelKennyr Rhiano:   yes. always, stronger, faster, better, smarter...
Lihan Taifun:              wait ... "mental workings" is different from "superiority"
AelKennyr Rhiano:   I don't call it mental workings. They may think themselves so, but when two characters are rpng, then they need to demonstrate their abilities, not preach the party line, so to speak
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Drow think themselves superior whether they are or are not. They believe themselves to be the best race going on the surface lands.
Belenos the Bad:        but if that were so, why do they not rule the surface lands?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Too much infighting
Belenos the Bad:        Dragons often suffer from the same fault. They find it hard to concede they are not invincible.. and we had to be careful of that in our role play
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Their society is tribal in nature. With the most powerful ruling. To gain in power is to gain in everything. So they will war against themselves in order to gain, only to lose overall.
Lihan Taifun:              there is a big difference between a character who believes herself superior, and a player who believes her character superior
AelKennyr Rhiano:   but if that is not coming through clearly in the rp, that, then becomes a problem. Especially if the rper herself cannot distinguish.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  It is her attitude. The whole way she carries herself. She was caught off guard and takes damage for it.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   No, no I appreciate she took the damage. Most whom I see rely heavily upon those statements normally do not take any damage or miminal.
Belenos the Bad:        So you are saying Gwin, that there is a difference between what she thinks she can do, from what she can actually do?

{Gwindolyn crashes and relogs.}
AelKennyr Rhiano looks for the staple gun..
Gwindolyn Spiritor smiles to Ael "no need for the gun, I just lost battery power."
Belenos the Bad:        run Gwin.. RUN
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Thank you all.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   lol No, if she just holds...still...approaches with the gun and a shaky hand.
Belenos the Bad:        and just don't EVER stick around if he gets the nail gun out
AelKennyr Rhiano blushes
Belenos the Bad:        all I can say is, thank god you are better with the daggers than you are with the power tools
AelKennyr Rhiano:   heh heh
Rhûn Darkmoon ducks his head and grins
AelKennyr Rhiano:   They don't let me play with power tools when i help with Habitat for Humanity houses...blushes.

Gwindolyn Spiritor winces as she slowly pulls the dagger from her hand. Her teeth clenched tight as even one who pierces her flesh regularly still feels such a pain. She looks to Ael as she says "you want this back?" her tight, clenched grin with maniacally sparkling eyes might suggest less than a sweet offering of handing it back safely.

Belenos the Bad:        I was going to say though, in regards to what we were discussing, it makes a difference as to the motive for the statements, I would imagine?

AelKennyr Rhiano:   But it was only the shirt I nailed to the wall. The guy wasn't hurt. And everyone else ducked.
Rhûn Darkmoon lets out a snort as he tries hard not to laugh
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  lol. Ael, when I say I love you in red, I mean your blushing, not your bleeding..... Though ICly, I might enjoy that rather well too.

AelKennyr Rhiano:   eep Can we continue this next week?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  I was just typing that. You seem to be on all my cues tonight, Ael
AelKennyr Rhiano:   heh heh Well, I have renter who has a problem with swans invading his home.....looks over at Rhun
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  I think we got off track a few times tonight. I would like to revisit damage in RP.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   yes. me too
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  But I would like to do it next week. When we all have had a chance to clear our minds.
Belenos the Bad:        Yes, although I think there were some good points discussed, there's still a lot more to hear.. *smiles*
AelKennyr Rhiano nods. It seems very tricky.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  yes.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   thank you, Gwindolyn
Lihan Taifun:              yes, thank you
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Thank you for your help as always.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   We must have seem argumentative, but it was because we want to get it right and teach our rpers to do it right, too
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Understood.
Belenos the Bad:        i believe it's called 'picking the instructors brains'.. *grins*
AelKennyr Rhiano:   nod nod nod. I was doing it the hard way...with a dagger!
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  The questions were more advanced than I had hoped to look at this week, but they showed intelligence and experience in RP
Lihan Taifun:              I want to know why you can't make knives out of mithril. Does it not hold an edge?
AelKennyr Rhiano:   You can, but mithril would be an expensive choice.
Belenos the Bad:        expense and rarity of the metal might be one reason?
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  it just isn't common, lihan.
AelKennyr Rhiano:   and a bit over the top for the circumstance.
Belenos the Bad:        and the lightness.. would be hard to get the balance right
AelKennyr Rhiano:   I would ask the rper questions to satisfy myself that they knew what mithril was, were I Gwin.
Lihan Taifun:              heh heh, the lightness would make a strange projectile
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  It was a coveted treasure to have a shirt of mithril. not common as the cost of the materials was so high.
Lihan Taifun:              oh, I know that
Rhûn Darkmoon eyes Belenos warily in view of her knowledge of blades
Lihan Taifun:              also that Olwe COULD own a mithril knife, he has pearls and jewels on the beach
AelKennyr Rhiano:   Yes, he could and it would not be out of the question for him to know and use one. But an average rper, I might would question...just to be sure they knew their stuff.
Lihan Taifun:              also, that if Olwe did train under the Valar, it was 6000 years ago
AelKennyr Rhiano:   yes. so unless he practiced, he might be rusty enough that only her hand was pierced and not her head. no matter who taught him the blade. See, the thing is the assumption that the student is only as good and as precise as the teacher. If you take that line of reason, it is very faulty.
Belenos the Bad:        and not only that, but does he regularly practice the skill he learned?
AelKennyr Rhiano:   Even with an average teacher, or a subpar one, if the rper has the prerequisite abilities and skills, he could make up for the deficiency of the teacher by his own right. -- Right Belenos.
Lihan Taifun:              " with the precision taught him by Tulkas"
AelKennyr Rhiano:   If Olwe is out practicing knife throwing daily, and is good at it...then that his teacher is Tulkas...that should be questioned as really important to the rp. AelKennyr Rhiano nods. yes, in that wording, I would question the rper, Lihan
Lihan Taifun:              you were the one who introduced Tulkas as the measure of precision
AelKennyr Rhiano:   yes, I did. It could also be that in the heat of rp, the rper mistakenly typed in Tulkas when he meant Eonwe.

Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Ael, I thought you had a swan party to get to?
AelKennyr Rhiano:   lol oops...sorry, yes
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  lol.
Gwindolyn Spiritor:  Careful, or I might have to come over there and turn your face red.
Belenos the Bad:        a swan party??
Lihan Taifun:             get that knife back, it is valuable
AelKennyr Rhiano:   hahahahaha! yeah, where IS my knife?
Belenos the Bad:        yeah, you gotta watch those drow with your shinies
AelKennyr Rhiano:   nod nod nod AelKennyr Rhiano frowns. Hey you, I paid good money for that!
Gwindolyn Spiritor blows Ael a kiss. "Come get it later, love."

> Next