This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

May 1, 2011

In the Presence of Manwë - Part 3

< Previous    

Ilianor Illios, Shawn Daysleeper and AelKennyr Rhiano
All the songs were role-played


Manwe had commanded.  "Please sing more for me Ainome."

"I am glad to sing for your noble heart, my Lord," she answers. "I sing a song for Valinor, I-'wathrad Balannor..  The Darkening of Valinor."

Manwe turns to Eonwe. "I have thought for some days since sending Lord Aule to the ruins of Melkor's chambers. I think a further investigation is required. I do not doubt Aule's abilities, but I want another, closer to me to go investigate the situation there."
Eonwe nods, and gives his full attention to Manwe.  "Who does my Lord wish to send?"

Ainome's clear, sweet voice fills the hall, underscore with the music of her harp.
 "A! Tollen gûr na Balannor
Nu goll dhúath e nathron dhonn
Onethelais panna i nôr
Gelaidh gelaid go linnod an
Nestad. Ai nae úamdir dâr.

Harnannin athan nestad bân
Telperion a Laurelin.
In edhil sí awarthar Dhûn
Farol i viriath corin
E galad vedui o Aman.

I aear dholl. Saer dîn vanadh.
Aphadar 'lîn e-fast i chîn
Finarfin. Athradar athrad
Chelegnen. Sí falas thrúnen.
I ithil eria. Romru cân."
As the words flow and weave their sad tale, Eonwe heard their meaning in his heart, and felt that the song, given the matters at hand, were, in truth, most telling of these dark times.
"O! Come is death to Valinor
Under shadowy cloak of the dark weaver.
Yavanna fills the place
of the Trees of Light with a chant for
Healing. Ah alas, no hope remains.

Wounded beyond all healing
Are Telperion and Laurelin.
The elves there depart the west
Seeking the jewels made
From the last light of Aman.

The sea is dark. Bitter their fate.
They follow the gleam of the hair of the children
Of Finarfin. They cross the icy
Passage. There is the eastern shore.
The moon rises. Trumpets ring out."
Manwe looks into Eonwe's eyes, the trust between them has spanned many ages, the long years of the world. "You are a gift to the Breath of Arda, your trust infaliable. Nothing escapes your gaze. I wish for you to go there."

Eonwe's eyes widen for the briefest of moments.  In all the passing of the ages he has been ever by his Lord's side, and over time, he has learned to anticipate his Lord's wishes and whims in many things.  But this truly surprised him.  A Maia rather than one of the Vala?  He found that he opened his mouth, quickly shut it and, with the composure he has always shown as the Herald of Arda, he bows his head in obedience. "As my Lord commands, so shall it be," he murmurs, his eyes dropping briefly before rising to meet the eyes of the Lord of the West.  "I hear and obey."

Manwe sees Lord Eonwe's suprise and gives a hint of a smile before continuing his desires "Eonwe, my Herald, seek out Lord Aule in the chambers, and speak to him of his findings. There may be clues as of yet there that have yet to be uncovered. I think there is a lot there that we can learn. I trust you Eonwe in this task."

Eonwe rises from the couch with the grace of one well trained in the arms, and bows from the waist. "I shall go with all speed, Lord Manwe. Sharp shall be my eyes, and with care shall I record all there is to see, such that it shall be within my skill to do.  Are there any words I should deliver until the Lord Aule from the Lord of the West?"

Manwe: raises his hand for a moment as to speak, then slightly shakes his head. "No, the missive holds my words to Lord Aule. Perhaps before you depart, Ainome can play for us one more song while we commune together?"
Eonwe nods and sinks back down onto the couch, his eyes turning to the gentle Maia.  "I would be most honored to hear the songs of Ainome."  He smiles, his expression growing gentle as he listens.

"Of course, my lord," responds Ainome, and once more harp and voice wove magic through music. Eonwe sat, spellbound, the harsh and grim set of his mouth softening as the words flow like clear waters of a cold spring through his being:
"In western lands beneath the Sun
In spring, flowers rise,
The trees bud, waters run,
And the merry little birds sing.

There it is cloudless night
And shuddering beeches hold
The starry host, the white jewels,
On their branching hair.

Here at my path's end I am lingering
In deep darkness buried.
Beyond towers strong and high
Beyond all mountains steep.

Above all shadows rides the Sun
And stars always dwell.
I will not say 'The day is done'
Or to the stars 'farewell.'
Manwe smiles nods to Ainome and Eonwe. He then closes his eyes in meditation. "Namarië" he says softly, using the speech of the Children.

Eonwe bows his head, carefully  arranging his expression to keep from betraying how deep the words and music had touched him.  Blue eyes that give away nothing of the feelings in his heart look up and he speaks gentle word of thanks.  Seeing The Lord of the West's eyes close, he ventures to speak, "My Lord," the Herald says softly." The Lady Nienna is new returned from the World of the Children and craves speech with me. May I, my Lord, attend her ere I depart upon this task set to me?"

Manwe opens his eyes to look upon Lord Eonwe's and slightly smiles. "Yes, Eonwe, please see to the Lady Nienna before your departure. I would like to speak to her as soon as she may as well."
"Tall ships and tall kings Three times three
What brought they from the foundered land
Over the flowing Sea?
Seven stars and seven stones
And one white tree."
Aionme's fingers tease the counterpoint from the harp as she sings softly another. Eonwe nods and rises again. "Thank you, Lord Manwe. I shall deliver to her your wish."  He bows his head to the North Wind and whispers,"I am honored to be able to hear thy music, Beloved Wind."

Then, as is characteristic of the Herald of Lord Manwe, and the chief of the Maiar, Eonwe takes his leave, crossing the length of the hall with sure steps, the music of the gentle Maia softing the echoes of his footsteps. Manwe continues to listen to Ainome's music and says a silent prayer for Eonwe's safety  and Ainome's grace.

> Next