This is the old site.


This is the old website. The new site is
http://www.fellowshipofthefourthage.com/
Watch for updates there. Bookmark the new site.

March 14, 2011

Nolë and Elenwë Do Not Despair

< Previous  

Shawn Daysleeper and Carleen Luckstone

After helping the unconscious king back to his room in the palace, Nole and Elenwe go back to the swanship in the harbour to unpack their hastily packed supplies. It turns out they would not voyage to Sylvhara, but Nole was still uncertain about a few things as the two Teleri walked back to the ship.

"I am rather relieved that Olwe passed out here at home rather than at sea," he finally said aloud.

"Very true," Elenwe replies.  She had been reluctant to break the train of thought of her friend as they retrace their steps to the dock. "We would have had great difficulty caring for him properly had we sailed earlier. You would have been busy sailing.  I'm glad you were here."


Nole blushes a little at Elenwe's words before responding. "I am so sad to see him continue to suffer. I hope they find a way to cure him soon." They reach the ship. Nole hops aboard and sets about pulling their supplies from the vessel.

Standing on the gangway, Elenwe catches bundles and boxes as Nole tosses them, depositing them on the dock. "I don't  think he can survive another such attack. I, too, am saddened to see him suffer so. It is a relief that he is still unconscious and is not suffering as much at the moment."

"Yes, he is now resting. I only hope his mind is at peace, even for a time. I wish there was more I could do for him." Nole grins a little as he pulls a basket of greens towards him. "I believe these are the noodles." He laughs as he hands them to Elenwe.

"I don't know how long noodles last after harvesting," Elenwe says, frowning as she peers into the basket. "I may not be able to make soup for Olwe for a while." Looking at the growing mound of supplies on the dock, her glance turns back to Nole. "Do you think we will make the journey to Sylvahara, before..... 'it' happens?" She looks down. "I am still uncertain exactly what 'it' is. Although I have gained much knowledge since you brought me to Alqualonde, these rituals are still unknown to me. I know I am most troubled at the prospect."

"I doubt dear Olwe will be leaving again. I hear there will be others gathering here soon from other lands to conduct the ritual. I fear his time among us is drawing to a close." Nole tears as he speaks, then goes back to his duties with the ship.

Noting the catch in Nole's voice, Elenwe looks closely at him as he turns to busy himself on the swanship. "Aye, I fear that, too. So good, so strong a king, to be taken away, is terrible to ponder." Looking back at Nole, Elenwe voices the fear that has plagued her. "What if.... what if something goes wrong during 'it'?  What if...... we lose him.... forever?" The last word is said with a sob.

Nole considers his friend's words for a moment, then shakes his head. "We can not despair. Our king needs us now more than anything. He is strong and good. He must overcome this affliction. You heard what the Vala spirit said. He is in their grace." He turns to his friend. "We must believe that he will be well and pure again."

Elenwe is ashamed that she showed weakness, and is grateful to Nole for his gentle  correction. Dashing a tear from her eye, she nods. "You are correct, as usual, my friend. Thank you." She gathers an armful of the supplies just unloaded. "I will move these back to the palace."

Nole jumps off the ship and takes Elenwe's hand. "It's Olwe: he taught me things like that." He hugs his companion and then wipes away the tears from her eyes before wiping his own. "Yes, lets move these things inside then check up on our beloved king."

> Next